Espresso: Espresso Machines
Machine in the $2K to $3K range
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine in the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 6:33am
Subject: Re: Machine in the $2K to $3K range

Check the power recommendations carefully on the Electra. Some machines (like mine for instance) are best run with their own dedicated 20amp outlet (ie, a single Romex line goes to that single outlet). I don't have that, so I have to operate it in 15amp mode.  The difference is that the machine is intermittently supplying power to the steam and group boilers. It's not really noticeable (so I'm told), but is prefer it to be on a dedicated (not shared anywhere) 20amp outlet anyways. Again, maybe it won't matter with the Electra, maybe you'll end up with a different machine some day, maybe you'll sell the house some day?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 8:37am

ThomasK Said:

The build out - which is still finished only to the subfloor level - already has a dedicated 110 circuit to the wet bar.  I can always pull a few more wires to the area, the panel is being built out now, good timing, still plenty of room in the panel.

Posted July 19, 2013 link

Even if 20AMP is not required now I can't imaging not pulling the heavier wire if it is an option your sure to get less resistance and heat in any event. If the pathway is open i believe I would pull 30AMP 220 to the bar just in case. It is so much cheaper to do it now and you never know what toys you may wind up with the future that require 220.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
ThomasK

Espresso: Bialetti
Grinder: Kitchenaid Pro Line
Drip: Technivorm Mocca Master
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 9:15am

emradguy Said:

Check the power recommendations carefully on the Electra. Some machines (like mine for instance) are best run with their own dedicated 20amp outlet (ie, a single Romex line goes to that single outlet). I don't have that, so I have to operate it in 15amp mode.  The difference is that the machine is intermittently supplying power to the steam and group boilers. It's not really noticeable (so I'm told), but is prefer it to be on a dedicated (not shared anywhere) 20amp outlet anyways. Again, maybe it won't matter with the Electra, maybe you'll end up with a different machine some day, maybe you'll sell the house some day?

Older house, staged renovations and upgrades - just added on a large kitchen (happy wife factor again).

100A subpanel for the new area - no prob with running an extra direct lines - I'm already running dedicated lines to all larger appliance-serving boxes in the kitchen.

Next is designing the countertop for this - what's the best height for an Elektra?  Regular countertop height - or better if commercial or bar height?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:15am

It sounds like you are leaning in the direction of the T1,

That machine has a lot of features, some you may use, others perhaps not but regardless it is all that and more of a machine. It is designed for commercial use and has a 6l boiler, that is huge.

As to counter height, my machine is on a standard kitchen height counter. It is comfortable to use for me and I am 5'10. My mother is a few inches shorter and she can use the machine but it is about as tall as it can be for her, for steaming milk to see into the pitcher. As a side note, I put 6" legs under my machine and removed the 2" legs. I did this to gain height for the drain line as it needs to run horizontal a few feet in my installation and the line needs a good drop to prevent clogging.

I do not have the T1 but my machine is about the same size and quality.

I think you will find that you both will enjoy using the machine, back to my mother, I gave her a once through on making a latte, then I had her do it. Then I left for a vacation for a week and she was able to make drinks for herself while I was gone.

I have an auto dosing grinder and with the volumetric water dosing on the machine, that was all the lessons she need to make espresso. Now to tweak and eek out the best shots, she needs more instruction on how to adjust the grinder and how to get great microfoam and what each adjustment does and how to adjust things but after I set it up, it was an easy process for her.

At First line, they have a generic set of instructions on installation of a machine. Give it a look and see if you may have forgot anything. OH, do remember that more likely than not, you will need to treat your water, unless your water is perfect, it will need filtering and most likely softening. To see the instructions on installation, Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Please check around and call the sellers of the machines. I have only mentioned 1st line, we have other vendors who are also great people to deal with. They all deserve a shot at your business. Check out our advertisers, any of them will do you right, http://coffeegeek.com/resources/advertisers

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ThomasK

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:28am

calblacksmith Said:

It sounds like you are leaning in the direction of the T1,

That machine has a lot of features, some you may use, others perhaps not but regardless it is all that and more of a machine. It is designed for commercial use and has a 6l boiler, that is huge.

As to counter height, my machine is on a standard kitchen height counter. It is comfortable to use for me and I am 5'10. My mother is a few inches shorter and she can use the machine but it is about as tall as it can be for her, for steaming milk to see into the pitcher. As a side note, I put 6" legs under my machine and removed the 2" legs. I did this to gain height for the drain line as it needs to run horizontal a few feet in my installation and the line needs a good drop to prevent clogging.

I do not have the T1 but my machine is about the same size and quality.

I think you will find that you both will enjoy using the machine, back to my mother, I gave her a once through on making a latte, then I had her do it. Then I left for a vacation for a week and she was able to make drinks for herself while I was gone.

I have an auto dosing grinder and with the volumetric water dosing on the machine, that was all the lessons she need to make espresso. Now to tweak and eek out the best shots, she needs more instruction on how to adjust the grinder and how to get great microfoam and what each adjustment does and how to adjust things but after I set it up, it was an easy process for her.

At First line, they have a generic set of instructions on installation of a machine. Give it a look and see if you may have forgot anything. OH, do remember that more likely than not, you will need to treat your water, unless your water is perfect, it will need filtering and most likely softening. To see the instructions on installation, Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Please check around and call the sellers of the machines. I have only mentioned 1st line, we have other vendors who are also great people to deal with. They all deserve a shot at your business. Check out our advertisers, any of them will do you right, http://coffeegeek.com/resources/advertisers

Good points - good to hear it's that user-friendly.

I'm an engineer - designing the build-out and infrastructure myself - and the whole house has a three-stage water treatment system - even though it's on utility water.  We're at the end of the distribution line - any repair work results in crud getting in the pipes.  Filters catch that. PEX plumbing in the house - so should be clean as it gets.  The next step would be feeding it with RO water - but that might be bad for the flavor - too pure?

Sounds like keeping the standard legs will work - I have a drain close to where the unit will be.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 4:02pm

pump triggers require a solute gradient, so RO water will not work unless you put on a second filter that re-introduces some mineral content.  Optimum water has a small amount of solute and ion gradient. The vendors many of us here frequently do business with sell them, so check 'em out.  There's a great article on water that would be worth perusing... Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ  Type that into Google and it'll come up as one of the first couple of hits.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 8:32am

Thanks Ron, great addition, I can't add anything to it!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ThomasK

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 9:03am

emradguy Said:

pump triggers require a solute gradient, so RO water will not work unless you put on a second filter that re-introduces some mineral content.  Optimum water has a small amount of solute and ion gradient. The vendors many of us here frequently do business with sell them, so check 'em out.  There's a great article on water that would be worth perusing... Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ  Type that into Google and it'll come up as one of the first couple of hits.

Is this really a PUMP problem?  I assumed that too pure a water source (like RO) would ruin the coffee taste - a little salt always boosts flavor!  Historically at least, in some countries cofffe drinkers actually add a tad of salt to their cup of joe much like people add sweeteners here in the US.

Anyway, a good article on the right water quality required to not get scaling as well as to get great tasting coffee - thanks!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Machine in the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.407917976379)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+