Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 233 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
occoffeefan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 10:57pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

carz07 Said:

when do you cut the first pull? you say when it starts to blond? meaning you are pulling at 9bar after the experimental preinfusion
its starts to blond almost on the end part of the shot right, so you cut the normal pull here
then to finish the shot weight you hit again the manual button, but no drop/flow will come out until the pump kicks in and pressure hits back to 9bars and then you cut this short since your almost near the aimed weight

Posted July 18, 2013 link

I watch for rapid flow with blonding...at about 20 grams. I have about 7 grams left  to pull at the lower pressure.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 9:23am

occoffeefan Said:

Heather and I noticed that the BDB tends to increase flow more rapidly at the end of the shot .

Posted July 17, 2013 link

Quick question.  Which class did you take, the one day barista, or just the latte art?

Michael
 View Profile Link to this post
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 9:47am

occoffeefan Said:

Heather and I noticed that the BDB tends to increase flow more rapidly at the end of the shot...

Posted July 17, 2013 link

Did you try cracking open the hot water valve at the end of the shot during the class?
I'd like to know if Heather had an opinion of this method of decreasing flow, especially compared to a stop & restart.
occoffeefan

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:05pm

michaelgo Said:

Quick question.  Which class did you take, the one day barista, or just the latte art?

Michael

Posted July 19, 2013 link

The private one day session
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:06pm

occoffeefan Said:

The private one day session

Now I'm suitably impressed. LOL  She's great isn't she?

Michael
occoffeefan

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:08pm

jamierayo Said:

Did you try cracking open the hot water valve at the end of the shot during the class?
I'd like to know if Heather had an opinion of this method of decreasing flow, especially compared to a stop & restart.

This flow experiment I did on my own after the class.   I noticed new high end espresso machines have pressure profiling and wondered if that could be achieved on the Breville using preinfusion pressure.  In the class we weighed the final shots and cut off the shot about 3 grams early to achieve the final desired weight.  We did not open the hot water valve during the pull to change the flow rates during the shot or discuss pressure profiling.
I have noticed on the new /b machine which I have, if you crack open the hot water valve  during the shot pull and then  close it it will stop the shot. I think on the /A model it did not stop the shot when you closed the valve.
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:19pm

The Vario-W weighs the ground coffee every time.  I don't weigh the shot every time.  

Whether that is necessary may depend on what type of cup one uses.  We drink mainly Americanos or milk drinks out of 6 or 7 ounce clear glass cups.  The cups are quite narrow at the bottom and widen considerably towards the top - the type of cup that has the removable stainless steel handle.  We brought them back from Spain where they are popular in coffee shops.  

That allows one to visually view the amount of liquid in the shot and to cut the flow at the right time.  One can weigh a few shots and make a note of the level in the cup.  This method may not be quite as accurate as a scale, but it works well and is easy to do.  

With the BDB, the built in timer also helps.  Once you have your grind and tamp mastered, shot times don't vary much.
occoffeefan

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:38pm

michaelgo Said:

Now I'm suitably impressed. LOL  She's great isn't she?

Michael

She is very easy going and knowledgeable.  It was a treat being able to  work with her  for a full day to achieve great shots on my own equipment, learn latte Art and be able to play with professional machines such at the Nuovo Simonelli and the La Marzocco and compare those to the BDB.
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 5:44pm

occoffeefan Said:

I watch for rapid flow with blonding...at about 20 grams. I have about 7 grams left  to pull at the lower pressure.

Posted July 18, 2013 link

ok got it thanks

any note on higher preinfusion and lower preinfusion pressure difference?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
occoffeefan

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 10:08pm

New BES920 announced in Australia from Phil McKnight on the Coffeesnobs forum..  details:

Breville's New BES920 Dual Boiler Debut at Aroma this Sunday (7/21)
Just a heads up for all Snobs heading to Aroma Festival this weekend in Sydney, we'll be debuting our BES920 Dual Boiler. Never seen in public before, this is a significant ugrade to the highly successful BES900. We'll have 2 on display for use by anyone wanting to put it through its paces. Improvements include:

2400W Heating system
Descale access by the user
Adjustable Steam Boiler Temp (pressure)
Volumetrics: able to select either time based or volume based
Exclusive Razor precision dosing tool

Cheers, Phil

more details from another post on coffeesnobs
1) Self descaling system - able to be descaled by the user
2) More accurate shot dose using a single flow meter design
3) Improved design on double spout
4) Improved design on filter holder ramps
5) Improved material on shower head o-ring to reduce corrosion
6) Improved filter baskets design to reduce puk sticking
7) Higher wattage (2400W)
8) Adjustable steam boiler temperature to allow high steam wand pressure
9) New 480ml jug matched to the capacity of the steam system
showing page 233 of 266 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.494184970856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+