Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Question about Gaggia machines
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question about...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JuanR

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 10:37am
Subject: Question about Gaggia machines

I currently use a Saeco Poemia with a depressurized portafilter.  It works great; I get 30 second 2oz. pulls that are thick, creamy and really delicious.  I know that they can be better though, and was looking around to see what my options are.  I've been doing a lot of research but wanted to ask opinions specific to my situation here.

I am trying to stay within a budget of about $500.  I was looking at the Rancilio Silvia, which is slightly higher than that budget, and I also hear that it is very finicky and has given many users problems over the years.  The other recommendation I see a lot is for the line of Gaggia machines (Classic, Baby, Baby Class).

My question is, how much of a true upgrade would these Gaggias be from what I'm using now?  I'm pretty happy with what I have, I just know that more is possible; so I don't want to "upgrade" to something that is going to essentially keep me at the same level.  I would rather just wait until I can spend more to get something truly better.

Any advice would be appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 7:58pm
Subject: Re: Question about Gaggia machines

As always, keep in mind that the grinder matters more.  What are you currently using?

JuanR Said:

My question is, how much of a true upgrade would these Gaggias be from what I'm using now?

Posted July 19, 2013 link

IMO going from an SBDU to an SBDU isn't an upgrade.  It's a sidestep.  Again, don't overlook your grinder.
JuanR

Posted Sat Jul 20, 2013, 6:01am

Takeshi, thanks; that's what I pretty much suspected.  I'll just wait until I can afford something truly better.

I am currently using a Hario Mini Mill grinder, which is more than adequate to make these thick, syrupy shots.  I am looking at getting a Baratza Preciso in the near future to speed things up and get more flexibility when dialing in; but the set-up I have now gives me better shots at home than I can get in all but maybe three or four shops in town.  So I'm in no hurry.

Thanks again for the feedback, that was really helpful.
Fred1

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 8:53am

Juan,

Baratza posts their reconditioned grinders on their website every thursday.  They sell first come, first served.  The Vario goes for $360.00 plus shipping.

As long as you are happy with the performance of your Saeco, no need to change.  If your Saeco quits working, address a replacement machine at that time.  

Fred
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 12:29pm

Fred1 Said:

Juan,

Baratza posts their reconditioned grinders on their website every thursday.  They sell first come, first served.  The Vario goes for $360.00 plus shipping.

As long as you are happy with the performance of your Saeco, no need to change.  If your Saeco quits working, address a replacement machine at that time.  

Fred

Posted July 21, 2013 link

+1  If you are happy with your Saeco I would get a better grinder like the Preciso or Vario.  Maybe even a full commercial one.  I own the Silvia I do know now that I would be just as happy with say the Via Venesia. :P  Unless the specs are needed like pulling more shots or stronger steam you are just buying a bigger better version of what you already have.  If you are looking to upgrade I would save and down the road go for an HX or double boiler.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JuanR

Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 5:29am

Fred, thanks for the heads up on the Baratza deals.  I'll have to check that out.

Thank you all for your feedback, it really has helped me to make up my mind.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Question about...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.460739135742)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+