Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 232 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
occoffeefan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 2:52pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

carz07 Said:

so its between a normale and a ristretto dry/wet weight ratio

ok let me recap

push manual - runs low pressure pre infusion (your choice of pressure and time)
after 5 seconds, pump starts to kick in and pressure goes up to 9bar, and after a few seconds coffee starts to flow, it doesnt go blond at this time, only almost at the end of the shot that it goes blond --- ?

Posted July 17, 2013 link

Heather and I noticed that the BDB tends to increase flow more rapidly at the end of the shot ( as compared to the La Marzocco and the Nuovo Simonelli).  It becomes harder to get the final weight you want since the machines flow rate is so high at the end of the shot. What she did was have me cut the shot about 3 grams early and have it continue to flow to the final weight.  But it occurs to me that  using the fact that the BDB can run at any percentage of full pressure that you want ( from 55% to 99%), this can be used to your advantage.  I can slow down the flow rate towards the end of the pull and get closer to the exact final wet weight I want.  This also counteracts the rapid flow rate at the end of the shot that leads to more blonding and bitterness. There is one negative.. if you stop and restart he pull you will get some backflushing and lose some of the shot.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 6:37pm

occoffeefan Said:

Heather and I noticed that the BDB tends to increase flow more rapidly at the end of the shot ( as compared to the La Marzocco and the Nuovo Simonelli).  It becomes harder to get the final weight you want since the machines flow rate is so high at the end of the shot. What she did was have me cut the shot about 3 grams early and have it continue to flow to the final weight.  But it occurs to me that  using the fact that the BDB can run at any percentage of full pressure that you want ( from 55% to 99%), this can be used to your advantage.  I can slow down the flow rate towards the end of the pull and get closer to the exact final wet weight I want.  This also counteracts the rapid flow rate at the end of the shot that leads to more blonding and bitterness. There is one negative.. if you stop and restart he pull you will get some backflushing and lose some of the shot.

yup that is what i do i cut the shot at 27g to hit 30g, im doing 15g 1:2 ratio

i want to try your style but i just dont know when to cut the first part
my preinfusion is the factory set i think 7 or 6 but only around 7 or 6 that the pump kicks in and the pressure goes up
whats the reading of your bar during your preinfusion?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 6:46pm

OC Fan, thanks for all the info.  I live in Rancho and have visited the Upland facility on several occasions but never took the time to take her class - now I definitely will. Good to know I should bring both the BDB and my Vario.  The shot profiling is a great idea and something I'm going to try over the weekend when I have time to experiment.  Currently, I too cut my shots a little short and let it run up to the expected weight but I've been pulling closer to 90% of wet to dry.

If you're ever back in the neighborhood, look me up.

Michael
 View Profile Link to this post
Park_Ridge_Dave
Park_Ridge_Dave

Espresso: BES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario (NOT...
Vac Pot: N/A (French Press)
Drip: Technivorm MochaMaster
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 7:16am
Subject: Re: Take the time to do it right.

PrescottCR Said:

Keep an open mind, enjoy what you enjoy, try new things if you feel like it.

AMEN! Very good advice!

Don't forget to stop and smell the coffee...... er flowers!
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 9:06am

dagoat Said:

Good to year people adopting a more scientific approach to espresso.  I've caught a LOT of crap from newbies on here because I recommend the very same thing, weighing BOTH the dose AND the extraction.  And I walk my talk... even though I've been making espresso for years, I still weigh both every single time.  FWIW, weighing both is why I didn't trade my regular old 2009 vintage Vario for a Vario-W--since I weigh my shots too, i had to have a scale anyway.

A lot of newbies, especially after they buy a machine like a BDB, which seems quasi-commercial to them, want to imitate the pro baristas they see at their favorite shop, not weighing every shot.  That only works when you are making a hundred shots a day, and you pay attention to every one, and taste sample shots often and make adjustments often.  For the guy that makes 2-6 shots a day, sometimes in a couple of sessions, and separated by hours like the time you spend at work, then if you don't weigh every time, you are doing a lot of guessing with little in the way of tasting, to base your guesses off of.

-Peter

Can you recommend a scale?
carz07
carz07

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 9:32am

Rhinoevans Said:

Can you recommend a scale?

Posted July 18, 2013 link

any scale will do, as long as it has .00 grams, pocket scale for jewelry fits just fine. im using generic scale.
when checking out the scale prior to purchase try to push it and see how fast it reads the weight fast i mean registers it fast, this scale for the shot as its primary thing rather than the pre weighting of the beans, you can take you time there but once the shot is flowing it better register fast.

lowespresso
lowespresso
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:20pm

carz07 Said:

any scale will do, as long as it has .00 grams, pocket scale for jewelry fits just fine. im using generic scale.

Do you find you really need the precision of a one hundredth gram scale (0.01)?  I use a tenth gram (0.1) scale and it seems to work fine.  I have had good results with My Weigh brand scales, which can be found online at Amazon and at Old Will Knott Scales, among other places.
occoffeefan

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 6:38pm

michaelgo Said:

OC Fan, thanks for all the info.  I live in Rancho and have visited the Upland facility on several occasions but never took the time to take her class - now I definitely will. Good to know I should bring both the BDB and my Vario.  The shot profiling is a great idea and something I'm going to try over the weekend when I have time to experiment.  Currently, I too cut my shots a little short and let it run up to the expected weight but I've been pulling closer to 90% of wet to dry.

If you're ever back in the neighborhood, look me up.

Michael

will do!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
occoffeefan

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 6:42pm

carz07 Said:

yup that is what i do i cut the shot at 27g to hit 30g, im doing 15g 1:2 ratio

i want to try your style but i just dont know when to cut the first part
my preinfusion is the factory set i think 7 or 6 but only around 7 or 6 that the pump kicks in and the pressure goes up
whats the reading of your bar during your preinfusion?

I tried this again this mornng.  The preinfusion pressure iat 60% s only 0.5  bar pushng through the coffee. I blinded it and it hit 1.5 bar. It did decrease bitterness in the coffee, I would be interested to see other people experiment with preinfusion pressires.
carz07
carz07

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 7:01pm

occoffeefan Said:

I tried this again this mornng.  The preinfusion pressure iat 60% s only 0.5  bar pushng through the coffee. I blinded it and it hit 1.5 bar. It did decrease bitterness in the coffee, I would be interested to see other people experiment with preinfusion pressires.

when do you cut the first pull? you say when it starts to blond? meaning you are pulling at 9bar after the experimental preinfusion
its starts to blond almost on the end part of the shot right, so you cut the normal pull here
then to finish the shot weight you hit again the manual button, but no drop/flow will come out until the pump kicks in and pressure hits back to 9bars and then you cut this short since your almost near the aimed weight

showing page 232 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.526770114899)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+