Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Recommendations for a good bargain in Singapore? (Silvia vs Simonelli Musica)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Recommendations...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
FireBurnDread
FireBurnDread
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Musica
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: N.A.
Drip: N.A.
Roaster: N.A.
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 5:07pm
Subject: Recommendations for a good bargain in Singapore? (Silvia vs Simonelli Musica)

Hi Coffee geeks, first poster here :-)
Recently got interested in coffee discovering I enjoy a good double-shot flat white.
I've been wracking my brain over the past weeks looking through every nook of the Internet for a bargain but all the Singapore machines were terribly priced with some listing POA. Whatever that stands for, I'm sure it's obviously a deterrent to the standard home consumer like myself.

Do you think you guys could advise on the current choice?
A SGD$1000 locally sealed Silvia or a SGD$2300 Musica?
Btw, planning on getting a Rocky DL Aat SGD$600.
Thanks in advance!

Joshua
 View Profile Link to this post
FireBurnDread
FireBurnDread

Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 6:05pm
Subject: Re:

Oh by the way, I wanted to add the the Slivia is is from a local dealer who hopefully has warranty support

and the NS Musica will be from a Italian dealer (Cafe Italia) but with only 30 daily technical support and free parts.

NS isn't available in Singapore from any dealer but as its a really seen to be a unique machine which can be said to be of competition standards, I

thought of going for it. That way if my shots are terrible, at least i know I simply need to up my skill level, not change the whole machine.

Hoping for a reply soon!

Joshua
Steve_C
Steve_C

Espresso: Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, AeroPress
Drip: Hario V60, Bodum Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Jul 17, 2013, 6:41pm
Subject: Re: Recommendations for a good bargain in Singapore?

My introduction to home espresso was with a Rancilio Silvia and Rocky DL.  No regrets at all.  It remains a compelling purchase at the price point.  I don't know much about the NS Musica.  There are other starter options available in Singapore btw.  If I were you, I'd shop around before deciding.  A couple of places that you might like to check out would be Highlander Coffee and Papa Palheta at CCSH.  If they can't help, they would be open enough to recommend other options I'm sure.  I bought my Rancilio equipment from Spinelli's Master Roaster years ago, but I don't know if they are still selling equipment.  Note that the Silvia is not easy to master, but will give you hours of fun/challenge/frustration trying to pull the perfect shot.  Other machines might be a little easier to master.  After a couple of years, I PID'd the machine to stabilise the brew temperature before graduating to an Expobar Brewtus and then after three more years, bought a Speedster.  You need to be serious (and seriously crazy) to buy equipment at that level at home.  Are you serious about getting into fresh whole-bean coffee?  You talk about looking for a bargain and mention that you enjoy 'flat white' drinks.  You may want to consider something along the lines of Nespresso if you just want a consistent, drinkable, milky cup of coffee.  Most people who get into the equipment mentioned above are espresso (like me) or cappuccino fanatics.  Good luck.
FireBurnDread
FireBurnDread

Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 2:17am

Like I said, I have looked through the Singapore sites and found most above average machines overpriced. I don't know why you're assuming I haven't seen Highlander and Papa Palheta; they are the 2 maim sites around.
I'm surprised and offended by being called crazy,  I don't see why getting a proper machine for espresso counts as being insane here on CoffeeGeeks. Perhaps you were trying to say they were meant for "higher"  or  "better" coffee purists such as yourself?  
Anyhow, the Nuovo Simonelli Musica was a more defined model than the Oscar but I've yet to settle on anything.
Will be more than willing to get a Nespresso but I'm not buying into the hype and marketing. They don't seem like they're gonna produce a full bodied espresso shot with good crema, then be able to properly microfoam a pitcher of milk.

The the Rocket R58 V1 retailing for USD$3080 (SGD$3900) doesn't seem like an economical choice since the 2 machines have been said to produce shots of equivalent quality

*Note* Flat White referenced here is the Double Ristretto with mircofoamed milk
Fred1

Espresso: LaSpaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/NS MCF
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Hottop, FR+8
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 7:09am

Joshua,

Your two machine selections are very different.  The Silvia is a sbdu machine.  The Musica is an HX capable of pulling the shot and steaming milk at the same time.  The Rocky grinder is a poor choice.  It has 40 widely spaced grind settings.  At one time Rocky was c onsidered a good home grinder, but, that was many years ago.  Case in point, Rocky = 40 grind settings.  Baratza Vario = 240 grind settings with the Vario costing a bit more than the Rocky.  As you can see, time has passed the Rocky bye.

If you will answer the questions in the stickypost at the top of this forum.  Your answers will help in recommending a machine.

Fred
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 8:42am

If those are your choices I would get the Musica no question, I would want an HX over a Single boiler any day of the week. But it is not on my list of wanted upgrades. My oscar has been modded to the point is it almost a musica. I am happy with my machine but I think for the same money as a new musica in the USA you can get better deals.  Where you are it might be the best deal.  You should read my post at the top of this board for more info before you pick.

Right now I am pretty sold on wanting to upgrade to a semi pro lever for smoothness/taste.  My dream machine is a Londinium and grinder HG1. (but in my dreams it runs off my kitchen aid and I don't have to hand grind it.)

I think he was saying that buying a 6k+ speedster was crazy for home use. And I think he was talking about himself.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Jul 18, 2013, 9:16am

Joshua,

Having a local dealer that can service your expensive investment is a good thing to have if you can't service it yourself.  Also sometimes a good source for parts too.  I think that is why the previous poster recommended checking out the local dealer options.  (Highland Coffee looks like they might be able to help you out if your machine needs service in the future.)

If you aren't adverse to looking at used equipment then there's Singapore Gumtree website as well as Singapore Craigslist.  I see an ECM machine on Gumtree for SG$680 that might be interesting too.
Looking on the web sales options I also see Elektra Microcasa a Leva, a beautiful home lever machine for around SG$1800, but that's a whole different style of espresso machine.

CoffeeNewbie is the opinion I would listen to the most regarding the NS Oscar machine.  (I've got an Oscar too, and find it to be a good machine that is reliable.  I purchased used for US$250 and had to put another US$210 into repair to make mine working.)  From what I've read the Oscar and Musica aren't that far apart internally, although the Musica is probably the better of the 2 models with some upgrades to the thermosyphon and elsewhere.

Silvia, a SBDU machine as pointed out, takes longer to switch between brew and steam temps.  That makes it more difficult to switch between the 2 modes, and back to back drinks can be troublesome.  I would personally steer away from this style of machine.

I think POA might mean "Purchase Order Agreement".  In other words they probably have to order the unit, and currency exchange effects the price so they have to price it at time of order?  Just guessing...
FireBurnDread
FireBurnDread

Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 12:46am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.  

Browsed though the sticky but couldn't find much
Can't get a Baratza Vario where I am so i'll probably go with a Mahlkönig Coffee Grinder VARIO W

Maybe you guys on what you can get with an Oscar's budget but of a better make?

Similarly with a Musica's Budget?
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 8:11am
Subject: Re: Recommendations for a good b

Well, the Mahlkonig Vario W is just a rebranded Baratza. I love mine to death. DO NOT get a Silvia. I'm on a personal crusade to get Rancilio to retire that awful dinosaur or drop it in price to $399 where it belongs. If you want fiddly and challenging, just get a Saeco and a bottomless portafilter for it. The Musica is a terrific machine, though also a little overpriced. The Oscar is very similar internally to the Musica, but lacks certain key features (like a vacuum breaker), which make it a bit limited. I did most of my learning on an Oscar and it's a great machine for the price, but if you can get a La Nuova Era Cuadra, I would look into one of those.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Jul 19, 2013, 9:03pm

FireBurnDread Said:

Btw, planning on getting a Rocky DL Aat SGD$600.

Posted July 17, 2013 link

Do not get the Rocky.  The why is covered in every recent thread that mentions the Rocky.

FireBurnDread Said:

I'm surprised and offended by being called crazy,  I don't see why getting a proper machine for espresso counts as being insane here on CoffeeGeeks.

Posted July 18, 2013 link

Read the post you're replying to again, carefully.  The poster mentions buying a Speedster.  Have you priced one?  Keep in mind that the poster is referring to himself as crazy for spending that kind of money.  Not sure why'd you'd be offended by that.  It had nothing to do with you.

Markarian Said:

I'm on a personal crusade to get Rancilio to retire that awful dinosaur or drop it in price to $399 where it belongs.

Posted July 19, 2013 link

Why should they?  If it doesn't sell they'll drop it.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Recommendations...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.381253957748)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+