Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is my machine dead?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is my machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mama

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 12:31pm
Subject: Is my machine dead?

We bought a reconditioned Gaggia Baby about 3 years ago and have used it daily with good results, only replacing the gasket annually.

My husband came home from work last week and found that the steam/frothing button had been on all day, probably accidentally pushed by the cleaning lady. (we don't froth milk, only make espresso.)

Since then the machine doesn't work. You can turn it on, it makes all the right noises, but nothing comes out. It's as if the machine is clogged. My husband tried to run descaler through it but that's not coming out either.

I looked at parts on wholelattelove (which is where we bought it) and it looks like major replacement parts like the boiler are as expensive as the machine.

Would you experts look into having this thing repaired? If so where would you go? I'm in Berkeley, CA.

Or would you be in the market for a new machine?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 12:50pm
Subject: Re: Is my machine dead?

Have you checked the tips section at WLL?
You may need to re prime the pump as per the instructions here.

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 1:02pm

I  was a bit slower than CoffeeRon.  Same thought, the boiler is empty from leaving steam on and needs to be refilled, primed.  Assuming the right noise is the pump.  Do not keep running it unprimed.  If not as simple as a re-prime, does it heat?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
mama

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 3:59pm

Thanks both for the suggestion. I did the priming routine. Very very hot water comes out of the frothing wand, nothing out of the regular part that makes the espresso. It almost seems clogged, like my husband says.

And he says I described the accident wrong. The espresso machine was turned off while the cleaning lady was here. What happened was that my husband went to make espresso and discovered the valve thing was turned halfway between the steaming wand and the regular espresso setting. So water and steam came out of both places, and nothing since out of the - what do you call it anyway? - espresso part of the machine. (Which, again, is the only part we use.)
D4F

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 4:58pm

I believe that this is your machine.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

If the steam valve is closed and the pump on, what happens?  Do you hear the pump and nothing out?  When did you last descale?  When did you last backflush, and what agents for descale and backflush?

I believe that you are wanting the part group or group head.  

If the steam switch is on, not just the steam valve open, then the 3 way valve shuts off the group.

D4F also at
mama

Posted Sat Jul 13, 2013, 9:33pm

Okay, my husband has the machine all taken apart on the kitchen counter. Pity me.

It seems to be the three-way valve. We can blow air through the thing when it is turned toward the wand, but not at all when turned toward the head.

At least he's having fun!
mama

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 2:40pm

I feel I owe it to my husband to report that he fixed the machine!

It was some combination of being clogged and needing to be primed. Once he took everything apart and blew through all of the connections, then primed the machine, water started flowing through the head again.

Many thanks to those who answered.
D4F

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 3:06pm

What was the clog?  When did you last descale?  What can we all learn :)

D4F also at
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 3:39pm

Good job!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mama

Posted Sun Jul 14, 2013, 8:53pm

I do not actually know where the clog was located.  We disconnected all of the tubes, blew through them, and reconnected them. Some of the clamps no longer worked so hubby went to an auto parts store to buy similar clamps.

Then did the priming routine and it worked. We ran descaler then because when we opened it up there was a bit of mineral deposit in the boiler. We hadn't descaled in almost a year.

Um... Also. Because I was on here looking for ideas, I got sucked into the thought of roasting my own beans. I ordered some green coffee beans and am going to use the air popper method. :). This is a dangerous place to hang out.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is my machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.352524995804)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+