Espresso: Espresso Machines
nuova simonelli oscar innards
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > nuova simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dggopal

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 3:24pm
Subject: nuova simonelli oscar innards

So finally got around to opening up the recently acquired oscar to check the insides.  Looks pretty clean to me... no evident leaks or damage.  I was wondering if I have the new sirai pstat or the older ceme version as there are two parts in close proximity one is a ceme and one is a sirai.  I attached a picture and there is a link below to see more pics of the whole machine but I'm confused as to which pstat I have.  Also if someone does check out the galary comments on status of the insides would be appreciated... just starting out so wondering if everything looks up to par.  Thanks.

link to more pictures of oscar interior: http://www.flickr.com/photos/98619165@N04/sets/72157634602296264/

dggopal: pstat3.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 4:57pm
Subject: Re: nuova simonelli oscar innards

Yes the big box that says Sirai on it is the pressurestat.
dggopal

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 5:01pm

thank you.  appreciate the help.
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 9:00pm

Downright pristine, gorgeous for a used Oscar. If you got it under $700 and it works well, you stole it. Congrats.
dggopal

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 9:38pm

oh wow!  Yeah I thought it looks pretty good on opening it up but wasn't sure.  Your comment is very much appreciated as I am usually apprehensive of buying things used and that too off of craigslist... guess I stole it because I paid 400 for it... it was between this and a used plumbed astra for the same amount, but that was all the way near coachella and I didn't really have the hook ups for a plumbed machine.  Glad I got a good machine!
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 9:50pm

$400?? Jesus.

Check the serial number, does it give a date of mfg? Also, have you tested it and does it have any issues?
dggopal

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 10:31pm

yeah I checked the serial number and called nuova simonelli... the date of mfg/purchase was blank on the machine and they didn't have records for said serial number. NS rep I spoke to said that was probably because it was an older model ( considering they stopped making the grey colored models 2 years back) but she didn't seem to confident in that explanation IMO.  The original owners said they received it as a gift about 4 months ago and used it for a few weeks and then stopped using it.  They however did not have the box or any documentation on the machine so go figure....Considering they were grinding coffee with a $10 blade grinder I doubt they were real espresso drinkers.  

Anyways I haven't pulled a shot with it yet but I did check it out before I bought it and it seems to work fine.  steams like a dragon and there are no leaks anywhere that i can tell.  It has the newer sirai pstat so that should last.  innards look good.   On trial I brewed with an empty basket and then pulled steam right after and it seemed to work great.  I did backflush today and noticed there was a slight leak/dripping from the left side of the drip tray from a red colored pipe and then when i stopped pulling the shot there was the normal expected release of water from the right side.   As far as I can recall the dripping only happened during active backflushing while the machine was trying to pull a shot.  there was very little particulate in the portafilter after said back flush and the water I pulled after back flushing was brownish so ran that till it cleared up... Also removed the screen from the brew head by unscrewing it and to my surprise it was very clean so I guess they did clean it or perhaps never needed to.  Had ordered a gasket but after checking the one on there already looked very new and had no cracks or damage at all and no leaks so I didn't change that.  I'm only worried about scale in the boiler since the owner used tap water in front of me but I'm guessing that should also not be too bad if at all since its steaming well and I'm getting water from the brew head on pulling empty shots... In any case I will update tomorrow after pulling a shot or two with actual coffee...  Thanks for the help, much obliged!
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 11:39pm

The red hose is from the Neplax valve, which is designed to open when the pump pressure gets too high. It's probably worn out, but not worth the agony of replacing. Simonelli really screwed up on the castings for the Oscar/Musica group and attempting to replace that valve often ends in sadness.

I see some minor corrosion around the boiler seals, but other than that it looks good. You've got a Preciso, so let 'er rip and see what she's made of. The Oscar has tremendous steam power and a larger boiler than most machines in its price range. Steam is certainly not something you'll ever be wanting for. I'd snag a bottomless PF and a VST basket (18 or 20g Ridgeless) if you're in the market for it.

My Oscar officially changes hands tomorrow. A dear friend of mine who I got into espresso will finally be moving from his Saeco to the frankensteam contraption Plindy so lovingly crafted. I know it has found a great home. Your Oscar should last a while--be sure to check out the video that me, Noobie, and Plindy put together. It's over an hour of non-stop Oscar tinkering.
dggopal

Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 1:59am

oh wow  had no Idea I was speaking to a bona fide cofeegeek hero!  All jokes aside that video is intense.  It became apparent very quickly while watching that video I had neither the confidence nor the patience to tinker with my machine to that degree... perhaps when I have more time on my hands and a better understanding of my machine.  In any case I appreciate the insight and advice.  I am definitely in the market for some ridgeless baskets and a bottomless pf... was thinking of just drilling out one of the pf's i got with the machine... we will have to see.... by the way, which other portafilter brands will fit the oscar since I have read that some don't fit despite being 58mm?  Thanks once again for taking the time to answer this noob's questions....
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Jul 12, 2013, 8:03am

Before my machine got taken apart by plindy, I replaced the pump, a plastic safety valve, removed and cleaned the 3 way valve.  You can do it, just take photos before you undo stuff and take your time.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > nuova simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.413404941559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+