Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Prosumer machines: comparison and suggestions
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Prosumer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 1:23am
Subject: Re: Lineup of 4 prosumer machines:

]]

jonr Said:

A truly consistent starting brew temp accurate to 1F.  Even when ambient temperature or time since last shot changes.   And if I can't manually control a flush to .1 sec accuracy.

Posted November 18, 2013 link

Mark Prince did some testing with the Breville Double Boiler and found that it had this much temperature stability. The Breville PID is incredibly accurate.
Kind of strange to think that a $1200 machine has better temperature stability than some DB machines which sell for double that price. Here's his post:
Click Here (plus.google.com)

In all honesty, I don't think that 1 F temperature accuracy is that important. 1 C temperature accuracy is more reasonable. Maybe I'm a little ignorant, but do you really think
that you could tell the difference between a shot which was brewed at 203 F as opposed to 200 F?

jonr Said:

2) Temperature profiling.  I certainly want to control how much the temperature drops while brewing.  Being able to control the shape of the temp vs time curve is even better.

There is a great thread on Home Barista here:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Every machine is designed with a repeatable, consistent temperature profile. A DB will deliver water differently than a HX will. Larger heat exchangers behave differently than
small heat exchangers. I think what you are asking for is kind of like a car with 500 Horsepower that gets 50 miles to the gallon. It just simply isn't possible.

Now, I do recall reading some threads on HB about people experimenting with lever machines and using ice packed around the grouphead to deliberately drop the brew
temperature while the shot was being brewed, but not only was this a bit of a hack, doing this won't always lead to a better shot. In fact, it could make it worse.

There should be some measure of reasonable temperature consistency across the shot so that the machine produces the same temperature drop every time as a baseline.

The only way I could see building a machine which could drop the brew temperature over the course of the shot would be to put in a water chiller and modulate its output
to cool down the brew temperature on demand. I don't honestly see that being very practical at all.

jonr Said:

3) Pre-infusion/slow pressure ramp up.  It provides more consistent good taste for me.

Vibration pump machines already do this to some degree, but it's not very controllable. The La Spaziale Dream has controllable pressure profiling. It's one of the cheapest
machines on the market which has this capability. Otherwise, you would be looking at purchasing a machine with a manual saturated group, like the La Marzocco GS/3.
These machines allow someone to completely manually control how much pressure is applied to the puck in an infinite manner. Think of a dimmer switch for pressure.
It seems to me that the GS/3 is the "Entry Level" for these types of machines. After that, you are now in "new car" price territory.

I don't know about you, but IMHO spending as much on an espresso machine as a brand new stripped down Hyundai Accent seems a bit nuts to me. (I'd like to apologize
in advance to anyone reading this who actually owns a Synesso or a Speedster.)

jonr Said:

4) Flow profiling.  I want a specified extraction ratio and time - x grams of coffee in y seconds.  Without having to throw away a few shots to adjust the grind to get there.

You know, I'm not sure if you are being serious with this one. Imagine a portafilter with a small hole on the bottom of it with an adjustable aperture.
That's how you would regulate flow. In saying that, I just described a pressurized portafilter.

The whole point of making espresso is to control flow by adjusting dosage and grind of the puck. By changing the thickness and consistency of the puck, you regulate
the water flow through it and force the water to brew all of the right aspects of the puck. As soon as you take that away, you're not making espresso anymore.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 2:12pm
Subject: Re: Lineup of 4 prosumer machines:

My modified Classic does 2 and 3 and comes very close on 1 and 4.  There is a topic describing it.
 View Profile Link to this post
warmseth
warmseth
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Le'Lit PL041
Grinder: Vaneli's Roma Doserless
Drip: Press, not drip...Ikea. ;)
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 2:33pm
Subject: Re: Prosumer machines: comparison and suggestions

Emil3m's Prosumer Espresso Google Doc

anybody should be able to view/edit this document. Let me know if there is any issue accessing it.

There is no life without water. For without water, there is no coffee. And without coffee, I'll kill you all!
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Prosumer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.376929044724)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+