Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
My Oscar died. Repair or replace?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My Oscar died....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
mitarbre

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco OCS-8
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 3:37pm
Subject: My Oscar died. Repair or replace?

After 2.5 years of service my Oscar died yesterday. The problems started a couple of weeks ago when a faint sound of steam escaping appeared. Despite the leak everything worked for a while and then the machine stopped heating water. Lights are on (power and heating element) but nothing happens. The pump still works. I opened it and it appears that the leak is somewhere around water level probe judging from the green patina that formed around it. I can't pinpoint the exact location of the leak since the machine wont heat the water. I attached a photo in case someone can figure out the problem from it.

Can anyone estimate how much it would cost me to repair assuming that I do the repairs myself? Do I need to replace the boiler? The insulation crumbles so it has to be replaced.

Am I better off buying a new machine and if so can anyone please recommend a good HX machine (DB is OK too)? Here are the answers to the standard questions:

1)  What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?
Espresso 20% of the time, lattes and cappuccinos the rest.
2)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time?
Two, very rarely 4 or more.
3)  How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?
100-150.
4)  Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
No plumbing, pour over only.
5)  Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
15 amp circuit.
6)  What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
2000 or so. Can stretch for a good reason but prefer to go lower. Already have Vario so don't need a new grinder.
7)  Are you willing to buy used or do you need new equipment?
No. If someone convinces me that I should go that route I'll fix my Oscar.
8)  Do you have the essential accessories (decent tamper, knockbox, the works), otherwise budget about $100 for these.
Yes, have them all.
9) Color?
If possible the machine should be red or at least some parts like side panels.

I'll greatly appreciate any suggestions, I'm starting to miss my coffee a lot and its been one day only...

mitarbre: photo.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 4:53pm
Subject: Re: My Oscar died. Repair or replace?

Did I read that right- you make 15-20 drinks a day?

$2000 or so puts you in the "which machine do you prefer" category to an extent. There are a number of very good machine that would suit your needs very nicely. I know that doesn't help, do you have a short list? Any machines you've had your eye on?
mitarbre

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:04pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Did I read that right- you make 15-20 drinks a day?

$2000 or so puts you in the "which machine do you prefer" category to an extent. There are a number of very good machine that would suit your needs very nicely. I know that doesn't help, do you have a short list? Any machines you've had your eye on?

Posted July 5, 2013 link

It should read 10 drinks a day 95% of the time. As I said I miss my espresso, I can't do simple mental math anymore!

I don't have a short list nor any preferences. I started thinking about buying a new machine yesterday when my Oscar died. Actually I started thinking about a little bit earlier this week when I was in Seattle. I went to Espresso Vivace and ordered a machiato. I don't speak English well enough to describe how good it was. I never produced something as good with my setup. I live in a relatively small city and I thought that I was making great drinks which was true when compared to local cafes and starbucks but nowhere near Espresso Vivace. So in short I want a machine that will get me the same quality of drinks as Vivace in easiest way possible. I was kind of hoping that someone will come up with a short list to help me out. I usually spend a lot of time looking at technical specs but this time I just want the results regardless the technology so any help, suggestion, advice or opinion is greatly appreciated!
CoffeeRon

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:15pm

I've always liked the looks of the Quick Mills. I was looking on Chris Coffee to see what the introductory price of the new DB is but for some reason I'm not finding it, it's supposed to be a heck of a good machine. ECM would also be on my short list with your budget.

You should look into the differences between HX and dual boiler and decide which way you'd like to go there.  The QM67 Dual Boiler by Quick Mill would also come in under your budget and another one I'd personally love to see on my kitchen counter.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 12:30am

mitarbre Said:

So in short I want a machine that will get me the same quality of drinks as Vivace in easiest way possible.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

look into a grinder upgrade.  

most likely vivace is using something better than a baratza vario.
CoffeeRon

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 10:04am

While it's true there are better grinders than the Vario, it is a good grinder and I think there's likely better espresso to be had with it than what you've been drinking, that goes as well for the Oscar. Remember there are four M's- but that's all a subject for a different thread.

Without a machine you're left high and dry. Of course your old machine is repairable, and there are mods to be done that would make it a better machine. Whether you want to go that route is up to you and whether it would be worth it would probably lie in part in whether you could do the work yourself. It sounds to me like you have a good excuse to upgrade your machine- I know that's what I'd do in your case.

Having spent some time getting to know the ins and outs of an HX machine I would have a difficult choice to make in regards to HX vs DB. I think in the end I would go with a Dual boiler. I tend to stick to one or two coffees at a time (whatever I roasted last week) and I would enjoy the ability to dial in the temp and forget about it. Leaving the steam boiler off most of the time would help my electric bill (a bit) and help keep me cooler in the summer.
mitarbre

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 12:05pm

CoffeeRon Said:

I've always liked the looks of the Quick Mills. I was looking on Chris Coffee to see what the introductory price of the new DB is but for some reason I'm not finding it, it's supposed to be a heck of a good machine. ECM would also be on my short list with your budget.

You should look into the differences between HX and dual boiler and decide which way you'd like to go there.  The QM67 Dual Boiler by Quick Mill would also come in under your budget and another one I'd personally love to see on my kitchen counter.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Noted. QM67 is so far the first on the list. Do you recommend any particular ECM machine?

frank828 Said:

look into a grinder upgrade. most likely vivace is using something better than a baratza vario.

Posted July 6, 2013 link

Noted. Any suggestions? I have absolutely no idea what would be a better choice (new only) than Vario.

CoffeeRon Said:

While it's true there are better grinders than the Vario, it is a good grinder and I think there's likely better espresso to be had with it than what you've been drinking, that goes as well for the Oscar. Remember there are four M's- but that's all a subject for a different thread.

Posted July 6, 2013 link

I have put a lot of effort to learn about making espresso but I feel that Oscar was limiting in sense that it was extremely sensitive to the right grinding, dosing and tamping. Most likely because of its lack of OPV and pump putting more pressure than needed. I became very good at making latte art, I used top quality beans (Red Bird and even some from Vivace which my Oscar didn't convert into a heavenly espresso).

CoffeeRon Said:

Without a machine you're left high and dry. Of course your old machine is repairable, and there are mods to be done that would make it a better machine. Whether you want to go that route is up to you and whether it would be worth it would probably lie in part in whether you could do the work yourself. It sounds to me like you have a good excuse to upgrade your machine- I know that's what I'd do in your case.

Posted July 6, 2013 link

You're right 100% I do want upgrade and I'm actually happy to have a good excuse. Now all I need are some suggestions :)

CoffeeRon Said:

Having spent some time getting to know the ins and outs of an HX machine I would have a difficult choice to make in regards to HX vs DB. I think in the end I would go with a Dual boiler. I tend to stick to one or two coffees at a time (whatever I roasted last week) and I would enjoy the ability to dial in the temp and forget about it. Leaving the steam boiler off most of the time would help my electric bill (a bit) and help keep me cooler in the summer.

Posted July 6, 2013 link

I have a very hard time deciding between the two. I don't think that one makes better espresso than the other. I do however prefer HX slightly because only fresh water is used for brewing.

I was looking at Vivaldi II/ mini/dream, Rancilio Epoca ST1  and Nuova Simonelli Musica. What do you guys think of those? Are they overpriced? I read somewhere that Musica is overpriced for what it is (an upgraded Oscar).

Thanks for the help it is greatly appreciated!
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 10:31am

I will weigh in as someone who has recently gone from an Oscar to an ECM Technika IV. I loved my Oscar but, as you've said, its very sensitive to grind and tamp. With my new machine, its almost hard to pull a bad shot. Stale grocery store bin coffee, forgetting to flush, no grinder dialing--it just doesn't care. I would NOT recommend the Musical
, as it is identical to the Oscar, save for having a vacuum breaker, flow restrictors, and a site lever. I does not have Simonelli's commercial group and volumetric dosing is not worth an extra grand. I have no experience with Spaz, but I do like their designs as far as looks.  

For the price, the Oscar is a damned fine machine. It is limiting, though and I can definitely feel your need to upgrade. I would check out the Technika because it seems to have a confluence of features that really make it a good value for under 2K. I don't think I could go back to a vibe pump at this point.
mitarbre

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 11:59am

Markarian Said:

I will weigh in as someone who has recently gone from an Oscar to an ECM Technika IV. I loved my Oscar but, as you've said, its very sensitive to grind and tamp. With my new machine, its almost hard to pull a bad shot. Stale grocery store bin coffee, forgetting to flush, no grinder dialing--it just doesn't care. I would NOT recommend the Musical
, as it is identical to the Oscar, save for having a vacuum breaker, flow restrictors, and a site lever. I does not have Simonelli's commercial group and volumetric dosing is not worth an extra grand. I have no experience with Spaz, but I do like their designs as far as looks.  

For the price, the Oscar is a damned fine machine. It is limiting, though and I can definitely feel your need to upgrade. I would check out the Technika because it seems to have a confluence of features that really make it a good value for under 2K. I don't think I could go back to a vibe pump at this point.

Posted July 7, 2013 link

Thanks Markarian, it is a great input! I checked out the ECM Technika IV and it appeared perfect until I found out that the only place that sells them here in Canada (espressotec) doesn't have them in stock and they price them at $3000! Do you know of any other machine like ECM Technika IV?
CoffeeRon

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 4:32pm

Posted July 6, 2013

I have put a lot of effort to learn about making espresso but I feel that Oscar was limiting in sense that it was extremely sensitive to the right grinding, dosing and tamping. Most likely because of its lack of OPV and pump putting more pressure than needed. I became very good at making latte art, I used top quality beans (Red Bird and even some from Vivace which my Oscar didn't convert into a heavenly espresso).

Wasn't trying to imply you didn't know what you were doing - sorry if it sounded that way. (Of course don't we all have some room for improvement? Even in the WBC there's only one winner- it's all relative I think). I was really addressing the fact that your machine could be modded to give better results, and that the grinder would be better discussed in a different thread, as your machine is the topic at hand.

Hopefully some Canadian espresso machine owners will chime in with recommendations for you on where look for the machines you're interested in.

Cheers,
    Ron
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My Oscar died....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.513421058655)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+