Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 229 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

des16 Said:

Yes, the first four are 1317.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

13 is 2013
what's 17?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BubbaDude
BubbaDude
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:41am

carz07 Said:

13 is 2013
what's 17?

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Could be a week.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
carz07
carz07

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:33pm

BubbaDude Said:

Could be a week.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

perhaps so its sort of production line out
i ordered mine last year around mid of the year so its 12
so its a week 6 production of 2012
which means what i have is from february product line

Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 11:48pm

greglepore Said:

Really? Like the iphone?

The made in China comments are nonsense. China can produce anything at any quality level, depending on the nominal "manufacturer's" demands for QC and oversight.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

greglepore Said:

Really? Like the iphone?

The made in China comments are nonsense. China can produce anything at any quality level, depending on the nominal "manufacturer's" demands for QC and oversight.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

Unfair comparison.  A high end espresso machine in no way can compare to a circuit board and battery stuffed into a phone case and usually tossed every two years.  If you expect to replace your espresso machine every two years, then I agree.  Not even sure the BDB is lasting 2 years??? Without multiple repairs.   All reminds me of the infamous KitchenAid espresso machine from a few years back. You get what you pay for. And yep, my awesome iPhone last about 2 years.  I want my espresso machine to last 20-30 years!  10 years so far on my S1V1.

Bottom line, most things coming from China is inferior!
 View Profile Link to this post
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 5:57pm

Rhinoevans Said:

Unfair comparison.  A high end espresso machine in no way can compare to a circuit board and battery stuffed into a phone case and usually tossed every two years.  If you expect to replace your espresso machine every two years, then I agree.  Not even sure the BDB is lasting 2 years??? Without multiple repairs.   All reminds me of the infamous KitchenAid espresso machine from a few years back. You get what you pay for. And yep, my awesome iPhone last about 2 years.  I want my espresso machine to last 20-30 years!  10 years so far on my S1V1.

Bottom line, most things coming from China is inferior!

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Again, someone who knows nothing about the BDB and who likely has never used or owned one comes over here and throws around misinformation.  What a bunch of nonsense!  (although I do agree with the critique of the iPhone, which is basically an American designed product).  What is it about the BDB that attracts so much envy from owners of other machines?
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 5:59pm

donner Said:

What is it about the BDB that attracts so much envy from owners of other machines?

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Some people would rather fight than switch.

I was really irritated with Baratza for introducing the Vario-W just three months after I bought a regular Vario. I liked the Vario OK, but wished I had a grinder with a built-in scale, and damned if they didn't introduce one and make my nearly new grinder obsolete. Not that I don't like my Vario, mind you.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:57pm

BubbaDude Said:

I was really irritated with Baratza for introducing the Vario-W just three months after I bought a regular Vario. I liked the Vario OK, but wished I had a grinder with a built-in scale, and damned if they didn't introduce one and make my nearly new grinder obsolete. Not that I don't like my Vario, mind you.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

i almost got into that scenario, but from they ive heard and read, the w was designed for drip brewing that is why the scale was built-in. also in their comparison chart the vario is geared for espresso fine grinds, while the w is not that good enough for espresso but was more inclined towards the drip, that is why entry levels grinds they have like the preciso and those range can be upgraded to have the scale loaded. hehehehe this is where it got me, why those lower once can have scale loaded, wish the vario can have that upgrade too. but then again, baratza was thinking of scale are used more for pour overs which dont need fine grinds. but would it be nice to have the scale, but it should be free floating pf scale, you dont want the grind to stop because youve pressed the pf hard and the grinder thought its 20g already hehehe but then again you can always transfer the grinds from that catcher to the pf. but the vario i tested pre weight beans 15.04g, came out 15.00/15.01g.

dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:10pm

the question of the BDB's durability is a good one, and a perfectly legitimate concern.  and people seem to be letting themselves get all wrapped around the axle over it.  do that if you want.  the reason i got the BDB was performance.  and the performance i am interested in comes from temperature stability.  there are two ways to get that:  via the $6500 and-up, saturated brew group like the GS/3, or by having a PID controlled group heater like the BDB.  There is simply nothing like either in the $2000-$5500 class.  

lifetime robust construction is certainly appealing.  but a lifetime without easy, uber-precise temperature control is not.  i simply must have the temperature performance of the BDB (or a GS/3/Cyncra/Slayer/KVdW, etc...), and i am not willing to give up ANY temperature performance to get lifetime durability.  period.  so i'll say (again), the only thing that will replace my BDB will be another BDB, a saturated-group machine, or another machine with a PID heater in the brew group that matches the BDB's performance.  My mind has not changed over this one bit since a year ago.

-peter
carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:12pm

donner Said:

What is it about the BDB that attracts so much envy from owners of other machines?

Posted July 5, 2013 link

its the joy of having and enjoying the machine. we share and talk about our journey with this machine, an exciting adventure.
- ridged 18g pf design
- on the fly pre infusion
- on the fly temp surfing

we can pretty much have these stuff going on and make the journey and sharing our experiences as enjoyable as our cup of coffee.

so other machines that are just too self proven with time, doesnt have the excitement anymore - sort of just shut up and just drink you best shot from you "best" machine. so they come and start to throw stuff that their machine is better, just to put a little spark on their less exciting journey, to give a little color that they spent for a higher priced machine but has a lesser excitement to it, why the $1000 below guys are having fun with their toy while my $2000 toy machine, im just getting "the best shot" i have and this will be for 10 more years like this - boring!

envy brings the kid in us, break that other toy hahahaha so they throw all these whatever against the bdb

carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:20pm

dagoat Said:

lifetime robust construction is certainly appealing.  but a lifetime of mediocre espresso is not.

-peter

Posted July 5, 2013 link

TRUE, its the shot per pull that im concerned about and not that i will have the machine for the next 10 years.

showing page 229 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.52965593338)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+