Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
GS/3 v Speedster
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > GS/3 v Speedster  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 12 last page next page
Author Messages
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 7:20am
Subject: GS/3 v Speedster

In 2014, either one will become a feasible purchase for me.

After hearing some harsh words on the prospect of both, I would live to know the opinions/thoughts of the community. I'm not sure whether the person who told me that both are stupid purchases was just a hater or whether am I truly being fooled by marketing gimmicks.

My absolute first concern is superior components and performance. Only then, style comes into play. This is why I've always assumed that the more expensive Speedster loses to the GS/3.

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:02am
Subject: Re: GS/3 v Speedster

I think we're talking about two superb high end prosumer DB espresso machines here. Both are in about the same price range, and the La Marzocco GS/3 MP and Kees van der Wester Speedster are pretty much comparable as far as manufacturing quality ans performance are concerned. IMHO it's pretty much a question of which design you like best, because you'll find people advocating the one or the other machine.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:35am

Both are amazing machines. I think it comes down to :
- Which fits the counter space better
- Which you want to look at for the next couple of decades

My only other thought is parts availability down the line.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emil3m

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:50am

I hope the replies keep coming in. I am generally wary of attributing price to quality, so I am almost glad that I've heard that unusual, disparaging rant last week.

Regarding parts availability/price--GS/3 wins this one by a mile? Counter space is not an issue. Style goes for Speedster IMO. There is an official distributor an hour drive from me in NJ. Sells it for $9,500 which is significantly more than the $6,900 for the GS/3.
I'm just wondering how much the eye-candy effect of the Speedster detracts from La Marzocco's reputation as having no equals.

Btw, the names he threw at me (as examples) were Rocket R58 and La Spaziale Dream saying that there's no performance or quality improvement past the $3k range. Only a fancy name to throw around. I could get either of those this month...

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:04am

emil3m Said:

... La Marzocco's reputation as having no equals.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Well, not everyone is 100% satisfied with the GS/3. I remember Jon Rosenthal, former CoffeeGeek moderator (aka JonR10), went back to having a Faema E61 Legend S1, because he wanted to go "old school".

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
DavecUK

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:05am

emil3m Said:

I hope the replies keep coming in. I am generally wary of attributing price to quality, so I am almost glad that I've heard that unusual, disparaging rant last week.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

I'd be interested to know why you believe either of these machines makes a better home purchase than the normal hi end prosumer offerings.....what are the specific features and attributes you value and makes the machine perform "better". It might help a lot in being able to answer some off the issues you yourself appear to raise, or at least the specific points you might need clarified.

It also might help you decide whether you are genuinely questioning which machine, what you get for the money and it is worth spending more, or simply looking for validation for a decision you have already made. At the very least it gives me (and others) some context upon which to perhaps give an opinion, or clarify certain areas.
emil3m

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:18am

I'd be glad to provide the context. I actually do not have solid reasons and therefore this is not one of these threads where the OP wants to argue a point. The sentence you quoted is inviting more contribution as some people here have decades of experience and went through/seen a lot more espresso than I have.

I truly fell in love with espresso and a firm believer in working hard in order to play hard--being that I work really hard, there is no guilt associated with shelling out on a GS/3 or Speedster.

Contributions by CG members would be really appreciated as it IS quite an expense. Being that this is a long weekend for me, I have plenty of time to engage in a conversation that would make a tangible difference for me (people often say that a prosumer buy is for decades).

Though the Speedster is second to none (for me) in terms of looks, my main concern is to ensure that I am getting the best quality/performance in the single-group category. The $3k range (as mentioned above) adds yet another dimension to the discussion. The person I spoke to is generally anti-consumerism. I would like to remove ideology, ethics, and morals from this discussion. Would love to focus it purely on quality and performance.

Thank you all in advance!

emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:32am

Those two machines comprise my "dream list" for non-lever machines. The price you quote for the GS/3 is much more than what I've heard people are actually paying when they order over the phone from established highly reputable retailers in your part of the country. I believe you can get the speedster for much less as well. In fact, I believe you can order it directly from Kees. If it were me, I'd find out what that would cost me, the. Ask the retailer who quoted $9500 what I'll get by paying a couple k more to him.

Regarding parts, I don't see either company going away within the next couple of decades. However, given the Speedster is more of a "boutique" machine you may have to get them directly from Kees, and you may not get them as quickly. Of course, I'm only speculating on this point so I could be wrong.

I think both of those machines will give you commercial temp stability and near commercial performance in the home. Though that's based on other user experiences I've read and my amateur perusal of the machine innards via the web. As Nobby pointed out, Jon had a GS/3, but went back to a Faema, so clearly these machines aren't necessarily the gold standard to everyone.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:33am

emil3m Said:

my main concern is to ensure that I am getting the best quality/performance in the single-group category.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Well, the more money you spend on an espresso machine the smaller the "margin of profit" will be as far as espresso quality is concerned. What I'm trying to say is this: If you upgrade from a Gaggia Classic to a Rocket Espresso R58, the difference in espresso quality will be much more noticeable than stepping from a R58 to a GS/3 or Speedster, and the differences between those two machine in question are even smaller. So what it really boils down to in the end is design.

By the way, you haven't told us yet what grinder you own. Unless you already own a top-notch commercial grinder, there's usually much more potential improvement in a grinder upgrade.

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:26am

People are selling both those machines to get my dream machine....  
Blog post supporting what I am saying:
Click Here (londiniumespresso.com)
Sale site:
http://londiniumespresso.com/products/londinium-i

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 12 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > GS/3 v Speedster  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380082130432)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+