Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
GS/3 v Speedster
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > GS/3 v Speedster  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 5:36pm
Subject: Re: GS/3 v Speedster

emil3m Said:

...I am considering classes either by intelligentsia, stumptown, or counter culture.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

I don't know much about those classes, but given they're all well-known high quality roasters, you probably can't go wrong with any of them.  Another option is Klatch Roasting.  Classes there are taught by 2-time US Barista Champion Heather Perry.  Having taken her one day class, I can say it's well worth it. Of course, you'd have to fly to LA for it.  I got lucky (after a couple of years trying to make it work).  Since I grew up in LA, I have a lot of family there, and happened to be invited to a wedding which coincided with one of the classes.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 5:44pm

Yeah! I'm lucky to have many options in NYC. Though San Fran and Seattle are on my list to visit for some amazing espresso (from what I hear). Time is really what stops me from attending classes.

I'm not terrible though. Pretty confident that I would do well with a good machine. Trying to buy top of the line, because if like to make a long-term investment. Let's assume that you have your dream grinder and 5k to spend on a machine--what will make your top 3 choices? Vibiemme Double Domobar looks interesting, but I'd love to pit against 2-3 other ones and try and see what features are out there which could tip the decision.

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 6:53pm

Yeah, GS/3 and speedster have been on that list for me, but I have to admit there were some good arguments raised against them in this thread. I have a Duetto and I'm very, very happy with it. For a DB, I'd look at the Vibiemme and the Rocket. I'd also consider levers if I had the space. There are a lot of great HX machines to choose from, but I'm not the best to recommend any of them, as I haven't compared any of them.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:08pm

emradguy Said:

Yeah, GS/3 and speedster have been on that list for me, but I have to admit there were some good arguments raised against them in this thread. I have a Duetto and I'm very, very happy with it. For a DB, I'd look at the Vibiemme and the Rocket. I'd also consider levers if I had the space. There are a lot of great HX machines to choose from, but I'm not the best to recommend any of them, as I haven't compared any of them.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Funny! This is exactly the list I posted in a new thread with a more representative title.

How do you feel about the new Alex? And yeah--I three in a HX to see how people react.

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 10:05pm

emil3m Said:

I am considering classes either by intelligentsia, stumptown, or counter culture.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

At risk of thread jacking...you and others might consider the alternative to classes: actually working behind an espresso bar.  If you have a committed and passionate coffee bar in your area you might try asking them if they would let you bar back a little bit in exchange for practice/training time on their machines and with their baristas (and whole lot of wasted milk).  You could call this interning, but I think staging might be a more appropriate and aspirational term.  I don't like the idea of long-term work-for-free arrangements as I don't think it's very healthly for the professional barista community at large, but I do think a weeks worth of shifts is reasonable and beneficial for everyone.  You get a lot more practice than a class would offer.  The cafe gets an extra set of hands to wash dishes.  You both make connections and relationships that should help build a better coffee community.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 11:25pm

In my eyes, these are the major competitors in the high end prosumer market, excluding the GS/3 and the Elektra Sixties... Listed in order
of pricing. (According to idrinkcoffee.com .. other vendors may vary!)

1. Rocket R58

This was Rocket's first double boiler machine and in my eyes is one of the more technologically advanced E61 machines on the market, utilizing a
traditional E61 group and designed with stunning looks.

1. Vibiemme Double Domobar

The forum members I know who own this machine tell me that this is one of the only E61 group machines which has a brew group which
uses all of the original Faema E61 patents and technology.

1. Nuova Simonelli Musica (Not counting the Lux)

Considered to be even a light commercial machine, some people swear by them! What makes this machine different in this class is the volumetric
dosing, while the others are just semi-automatic machines. This is also a heat exchanging machine while the other machines in this class are DB.

1.  La Spaziale S1 Dream

I would consider this machine to be one of the most technologically advanced prosumer espresso machines on the market. Pressure profiling via
USB stick, a touch sensitive display and lots of other goodies make a tech obsessed coffee geek drool!

1.  Izzo Alex Duetto III

I personally own one of these machines and love it. These machines use a lot of "Off the Shelf" components, making them very servicable.
It's a very well designed and engineered machine. I'm glad I bought mine!

Like anything, all of these machines are just on the cusp of an exponential price curve, but all of them will deliver years of dependable service
and a delicious cup of coffee if used correctly.

With any of these machines, you could bang out a shot in about 3-4 minutes, start to finish. From my point of view, the featureset of all of these
machines is almost identical, excluding the Musica and the S1 Dream. For me, it was down to either the Vibiemme or the Izzo and I picked the Izzo
because it was a shallower machine, had slightly smaller boilers as well as being able to get service from multiple vendors in the area if I needed it.

I think since competition is really stiff in this area, you can't really go wrong with buying any of these machines and you do get a lot of value for your
money. You would be very hard pressed to tell the difference between one of these machines and a GS/3.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 2:05am

qualin Said:

Nuova Simonelli Musica (Not counting the Lux)

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Just to be clear, the Musica is an HX machine, not a DB.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Chang94598

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 2:21am

The Londinium L1 Luxe with exposed sides could be worthy of consideration.

I have the QuickMill Achille which also uses the same group as L1. With all the talk about pressure profile, why not just get a lever? The lever allows unlimited variation on preinfusion. By holding down the lever, even the lever pressure profile can be changed.  Both machines can be either plumb in or tank, consider the OP currently rents.

The lever machines' parts are generic for ease of servicing, yet the styling can be classy, especially if custom wood handles are fitted.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 8:46am

tek Said:

Key to make it work really good is the way you transfer coffee from bin to basket. I found that if you pour and tap bin so it deposits coffee into center of basket you end up with nice mount of coffee in center of basket. Then you gently shake it side to side once or twice, rotate basket 90 degrees, gently shake side to side again once and tamp, you will have super consistent results. This works for me every single time.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

I tip the bin to the corner and I use this dosing funnel  ( Click Here (www.orphanespresso.com) ). The funnel makes it a lot easier and it is short enough that if you do have a bit of a mound you can level it with your finger a bit before you take the funnel off. I usually tap the PF lightly on my rubber mat before I take the funnel off too.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 1:44am

I also use a funnel for several good reasons: it reduces the mess when grinding directly into the portafilter, it enables you to to do the WDT directly inside the filter basket, and it helps to tamp level.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
showing page 7 of 12 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > GS/3 v Speedster  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.439274072647)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+