Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Faema Carisma
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Faema Carisma  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 7:29am
Subject: Faema Carisma

Haven't seen anything about it here or over on HB, but I've got to say that the new Faema Carisma that Chris is bringing in looks very, very nice. Seems like it's hitting a nice balance between tradition and innovation. I can't plumb, and can't run a 20 amp machine, so the pourover HX category is where any pump machine I'm using needs to live.

I especially like the combination of digital temp control and traditional pressure gauge with a Faema-made E61 group. Seems as if the boiler's big enough to handle potential light commercial use and it is NSF certified.

Ideally, I'm a lever guy, but a Londinium just wouldn't fit iin our current space, and I would want to spend a little time with a Strega before making that particular decision. So, I think I'm going to start working on making a case for the Carisma to the comptroller, God bless her.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Faema Carisma

Looks good, but I am still holding out for my Londinium.  Just need to get a lotto ticket.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 5:17pm

Just watched the video on Chris coffee. Really nice looking machine, with some really nice features. Love how easy the whole drip tray slides out. If you watch till the end (yeah I did) Chris goes through the included accessories, "and a worthless plastic tamper", no change in his tone of voice- perfectly cool.  Hilarious, love it!
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 7:51am

GVDub Said:

...Ideally, I'm a lever guy, but a Londinium just wouldn't fit iin our current space, and I would want to spend a little time with a Strega before making that particular decision. So, I think I'm going to start working on making a case for the Carisma to the comptroller, God bless her.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Just for my own curiosity, why wouldn't the same standard ("would want to spend a little time") which is applied to the Strega here not be equally applied to the Carisma? Again, just my personal curiosity.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 9:30am

1stline Said:

Just for my own curiosity, why wouldn't the same standard ("would want to spend a little time") which is applied to the Strega here not be equally applied to the Carisma? Again, just my personal curiosity.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Fair question, Jim. Here's how I read it: I'm already fairly familiar with E-61 machines, and the mechanics of pulling a shot on one is not much different than pulling a shot on another. The Carisma design looks solid, and, aside from the switch to digital temp control rather than a p-stat, is a pretty traditional machine. My one concern would be recovery time, as I've heard from some sources that p-stat controlled machines have a slightly faster recovery time, due to the nature of how PIDs ramp heater control (especially for an HX machine, a little overshoot isn't necessarily a bad thing if it makes for faster recovery, as the natural compensation with the flush makes it a non-issue)

The Strega, on the other hand, at least the non-plumbed version (which would be what I would have to go with for a variety of reasons) using the combination of spring lever and vibe pump to extract the shot, is an unknown quantity for me, and I'd want to pull several dozen shots on one before committing to purchase. My lever experience has all been with the Caravel, which is quite different from a spring lever with a commercial portafilter. So, spending time with a completely unfamiliar machine seems called for, as compared to a machine that works pretty much the same as other machines I've used.

So there's my logic. Feel free to poke holes in it. I'm always willing to listen to the voices of experience.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jul 5, 2013, 9:34am

GVDub Said:

Fair question, Jim. Here's how I read it: I'm already fairly familiar with E-61 machines, and the mechanics of pulling a shot on one is not much different than pulling a shot on another. The Carisma design looks solid, and, aside from the switch to digital temp control rather than a p-stat, is a pretty traditional machine. My one concern would be recovery time, as I've heard from some sources that p-stat controlled machines have a slightly faster recovery time, due to the nature of how PIDs ramp heater control (especially for an HX machine, a little overshoot isn't necessarily a bad thing if it makes for faster recovery, as the natural compensation with the flush makes it a non-issue)

The Strega, on the other hand, at least the non-plumbed version (which would be what I would have to go with for a variety of reasons) using the combination of spring lever and vibe pump to extract the shot, is an unknown quantity for me, and I'd want to pull several dozen shots on one before committing to purchase. My lever experience has all been with the Caravel, which is quite different from a spring lever with a commercial portafilter. So, spending time with a completely unfamiliar machine seems called for, as compared to a machine that works pretty much the same as other machines I've used.

So there's my logic. Feel free to poke holes in it. I'm always willing to listen to the voices of experience.

Posted July 5, 2013 link

Thanks for the reasoning. I do hope you get a chance to experience a Strega.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jul 10, 2013, 11:29am

G-Dub, I always enjoy watching Chris's vids. I also laughed at the perfectly droll "and a worthless plastic tamper" comment.

BTW, another spring lever you may want to consider is the Quick Mile Achille.
This has been a great year or 2 as regards the emergence of single group Commercial Levers (but designed to be at home in your home) such as Reiss's (Londinium) L1, the, The QM Achille, the Izzo Pompei, and of course, the Strega.

The Carisma seems to be a very fine example of a a great "traditional" HX pump machine incorporating  some new and innovative goodies to make the every day experience more enjoyable.
Decisions!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Faema Carisma  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.40852189064)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+