Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A new problem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:10am
Subject: Re: A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)

emil3m Said:

Would I still be able to backflush with a blind basket when the gauge is on it?

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Yes, you will still be able to put your blind basket in to backflush if you installed a PF pressure gauge on your standard double spout PF. You will need to use the PF without any basket installed at all to make your pressure measurements because the basket will leak from the bottom once you pressurize the entire PF.

emil3m Said:

Also, would the pressure reading still be reliable when the blind basket is in?)

Posted July 4, 2013 link

No! With the blind basket installed, you will not be able to take pressure readings with a gauge installed on the PF. The blind basket will actually be shutting off the flow of water before it can reach the pressure gauge

emil3m Said:

Have you come across solutions that may be more accurate? (like you, I do think that the CC1 PF is not exactly standard, so a different PF won't work)

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Not sure how much accuracy you want. I guess you could always order a digital gauge but not sure worrying about a fraction of a bar of pressure is going to be useful with a non adjustable valve (At least not easily adjusted).

I actually intended to look and see if there was a way to install a permanent pressure gauge in a convenient location on the CC1 while I had the cabinet open to install the new pressure valve... and I forgot to do it. I hope someone takes on the installation of a permanent brew pressure guage on the CC1 and creates a "how to".
 View Profile Link to this post
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:26am

Thank you, Dean!

Is there a "how-to" on installing the pressure gauge on the spouted CC1 PF?

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:30am

emil3m Said:

Thank you, Dean!

Is there a "how-to" on installing the pressure gauge on the spouted CC1 PF?

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Probably not... you just screw the spout off and screw the new gauge on. The gauge I  have came with a little nylon gasket seal but when I got it tight enough to seal, it was almost pointing away from the front of the machine... so I just put some Teflon tape on the threads. Your are not destroying your PF when you install a gauge. You can always remove the gauge and put your spout back on.
emil3m

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:33am

I feel like an idiot--did not realize it can be screwed off!

Thanks!

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:41am

Yeh it just screws off.

Dean another thing I remember, as I know in the past you mentioned a bunch of times the mouthfeel lacking with drinks vs what you get at McDs, Starbucks etc. I just mentioned this in another thread but you need pectin/xanthan gum, that's what gives those drinks that "mouthfeel" so many like and keeps the drinks suspended together, otherwise it'll separate and start tasting blahhh even with fresh beans/drinks made at home. I just make my iced drinks right over ice and milk etc, but I've blended with pectin before and made the most incredible fraps you could imagine. Any coffee house I've been too, even known ones mentioned on here do that for certain drinks, only add a very small amount.

One thing I'm curious with your pressure, I think Bill said these opv are set to 9-9.5 bar. I'm actually not sure if their adjustable, haven't looked into that. But if your reading 10-10.5 I think that would still be a bit high even if stable, however I wonder if it's really more like 9-9.5 as I know others when measured like that showed a similar difference, however if on a machine with a read out gage they would show in the 9-9.5 range with a puck in the PF. Wonder if the gauges read higher then normal vs PF w/ a puck?
emil3m

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 9:50am

Dean, I also read something about the water you used. From day 1, I was using nothing but Poland spring. Does this source seem legitimate to you?

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=688

DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:16am

emil3m Said:

Dean, I also read something about the water you used. From day 1, I was using nothing but Poland spring. Does this source seem legitimate to you?

http://www.bottledwaterweb.com/bottlersdetail.do?k=688

Posted July 4, 2013 link

To be honest, I really do not think any of the issues I have had with my CC1 were directly related to water quality. Now I can't prove that, but the municipal water quality here is not that bad and then I carbon filtered it before it went into the machine. Since the machine was operating in a low production environment, not that much water went through it. I realize that the fact that the pressures improved somewhat after I descaled may be fodder to argue differently, but I just really do not think there was a direct cause to the water quality. Remember, the pressure has never really been totally correct, even after I descaled, since I have been able to test brew pressure. I do know that if I ever buy another espresso machine, it will have a brew pressure gauge.

Here is the water I use now. This is basically distilled water that has had minerals added back for taste.

http://www.ozarkah2o.com/assets/files/Drinking2013.pdf
emil3m

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:20am

I hear ya. So considering what you just said, is Poland spring soft enough to use without having to descale earlier than would otherwise be necessary?

I don't own a car, nor do I have a doorman in my building (to receive deliveries), so I can only buy water that's available at the local store.

DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:39am

emil3m Said:

I hear ya. So considering what you just said, is Poland spring soft enough to use without having to descale earlier than would otherwise be necessary?

I don't own a car, nor do I have a doorman in my building (to receive deliveries), so I can only buy water that's available at the local store.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

I believe that I have read here in the forum that total solids below 200 PPM is preferred, so if that is the criteria, I would say yes. Others may be able to offer better advice.

You might want to consider some kind of under sink softer/taste filter. Might be a hassle to haul water in for the machine. By the time you purge to preheat the PF water usage may be more than you want to deal with.

Looking online, and assuming you are in New York City, looks like the water hardness there varies quite a bit depending on the source system.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 11:21am

CMIN Said:

Yeh it just screws off.

Dean another thing I remember, as I know in the past you mentioned a bunch of times the mouthfeel lacking with drinks vs what you get at McDs, Starbucks etc. I just mentioned this in another thread but you need pectin/xanthan gum, that's what gives those drinks that "mouthfeel" so many like and keeps the drinks suspended together, otherwise it'll separate and start tasting blahhh even with fresh beans/drinks made at home. I just make my iced drinks right over ice and milk etc, but I've blended with pectin before and made the most incredible fraps you could imagine. Any coffee house I've been too, even known ones mentioned on here do that for certain drinks, only add a very small amount.

One thing I'm curious with your pressure, I think Bill said these opv are set to 9-9.5 bar. I'm actually not sure if their adjustable, haven't looked into that. But if your reading 10-10.5 I think that would still be a bit high even if stable, however I wonder if it's really more like 9-9.5 as I know others when measured like that showed a similar difference, however if on a machine with a read out gage they would show in the 9-9.5 range with a puck in the PF. Wonder if the gauges read higher then normal vs PF w/ a puck?

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Actually, it was more the taste I like from the McD's espresso. I know that causes a lot of people here to roll their eyes back in their head.

I had an latte a few nights ago that was pretty good... I could have drank it without adding the sweet flavorings, but I put them in anyway... I like the sweetness. Since the arrival of the pressure valve, the quality of my shots has improved to the point that I am not throwing lattes down the drain..... but I can tell you I still feel there is room for improvement.

When it comes to pressure, remember that I am like a man with two watches that never knows what time it is. I have several pressure gauges and I am reporting the pressure based on the average of the gauges I have. None of them are lab quality. I only have one gauge that will connect to my PF, but I connected my PF gauge and others to compressed air and made a mental adjustment of my PF gauge based on the average of these gauges.  I am hoping that Bill tested it before he shipped it and he will be able to tell me more accurately. I have not heard from him since the pressure valve arrived. If my gauge is reporting that much too high, that means my pressure before was even lower than I thought it was.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A new problem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.492748975754)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+