Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
ECM Germany Owners Unite!
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Germany...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 12:47pm
Subject: ECM Germany Owners Unite!

Okay, time for another unweildy owner's thread for a relatively obscure group of machines. Who are my fellow ECM Germany owners and what has been your experience with these machines thus far?
 View Profile Link to this post
kwantfm

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 3:59pm
Subject: Re: ECM Germany Owners Unite!

I've been the proud owner of a Technika Profi IV (vibration pump) since April.  I am really pleased with the machine which has been a significant upgrade from my previous machine which was a Lelit Combi.

The most important things for me:
  1. I find it extremely temperature stable - I don't get the hot water dance that people generally talk about with HX machines.  I really don't use a flushing routine at all for pouring shots, and the shots that the machine produces have all of the viscosity that I see coming out of saturated group Lineas and Synessos at the best cafes I go to;
  2. Steaming is fantastic on this machine - it has heaps of power and capacity;
  3. It looks really good in the kitchen.

In retrospect there are only two things that make me think about changing:
  1. I really should have spent a little more for the plumbable machine - I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm already sick of pouring water into (the admittedly very well designed) tank via the flip up lid on the top and pouring out the drip tray!
  2. I continue to wonder about the possibilities for absolute temperature control available from a double boiler PID with saturated group.  This concern is starting to be alleviated though as I've started home roasting and think that I am more likely to be going down the blend rather than single origin pathway.

In summary, I find the Technika to be a brilliant machine and I can't imagine that any other HX machine in its price range and design parameters could be any better.

Terence
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 7:13pm

I am considering a Technika... I guess the holdback is wondering about a PID DB would be easier to use.. I like the QM Vetrano DB CCS is bringing in.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 2:36am

I was all ready to pull the trigger on the Vibiemme Domobar Super DB, but I decided against a DB machine because they are specialty items that don't have a commercial pedigree, rather, most commercial machines are HX machines. I want as close to a commercial machine as I can get at home without being forced to plumb in or get a special circuit. I got very familiar with how HX machines worked, both inside and out, with my Simonelli and wanted a machine I could someday feel confident in servicing myself. Looking at the internals of the Duetto or Domo DB make me go crosseyed, while the dead simple HX of the Technika are old hat. The "water dance" of the Technika is about half that of the Oscar and is easy. Another reason I didn't want PID is because it didn't feel "authentic" or organic enough. Basically, having a PID, to me, is like volumetric dosing. It's nice, but I feel it takes some of the fun and mystique out of gauging your shot. Just my two cents. My only complaints about the Technika thus far are that the steam/hot water levers feel stiff and mushy (maybe they need breaking in?) and that it's not immediately apparent how to open the top of the machine to to get to the internals.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 3:37am

Markarian Said:

I was all ready to pull the trigger on the Vibiemme Domobar Super DB, but I decided against a DB machine because they are specialty items that don't have a commercial pedigree, rather, most commercial machines are HX machines. I want as close to a commercial machine as I can get at home without being forced to plumb in or get a special circuit. I got very familiar with how HX machines worked, both inside and out, with my Simonelli and wanted a machine I could someday feel confident in servicing myself. Looking at the internals of the Duetto or Domo DB make me go crosseyed, while the dead simple HX of the Technika are old hat. The "water dance" of the Technika is about half that of the Oscar and is easy. Another reason I didn't want PID is because it didn't feel "authentic" or organic enough. Basically, having a PID, to me, is like volumetric dosing. It's nice, but I feel it takes some of the fun and mystique out of gauging your shot. Just my two cents. My only complaints about the Technika thus far are that the steam/hot water levers feel stiff and mushy (maybe they need breaking in?) and that it's not immediately apparent how to open the top of the machine to to get to the internals.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Thanks!!
lukeap69

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 6:12am

Markarian Said:

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Just curious, why did you choose the Technika over the Musica since you are already familiar with the Oscar?

Arnold
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 12:42pm

That's an excellent question, Arnold. I did consider the Lux, as I had become quite the Simonelli fan. However, I liked the idea of being able to do pre-infusion someday and I wanted something with a rotary pump. The Musica Lux is also considerably more expensive than even the highest end home E61 machines. The Technika IV was $1900 vs the Lux for $2700. That's even more than a Duetto or Vibiemme!

To be blunt, the Oscar had problem after problem after problem. It was nine years old and I was likely its third owner. Things in my life have changed and I need something reliable and solid--not a project car. The Musica is simply an Oscar with a nice case and volumetric dosing, especially when you consider the mods Plindy made for us. My opinion of the Musica is that of the Silvia: An excellent machine in itself that is absurdly overpriced.
lukeap69

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MDX
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 8:45pm

That makes sense. I wonder wh the Musica is so expensive in the US. I have purchaced mine (lux version) for around 1600USD brand new. The only thing is I didn't realize that the machine comes with a Campini pstat unless you pay an extra for the 'professional pack' which will include Sirai pstat and another portafilter!

You mentioned about pre-infusion, the Musica has the pre-infusion option which I don't think available in the Oscar (?)

Enjoy your Technika. It looks like a very good machine.

Arnold
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > ECM Germany...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.380201816559)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+