Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Silvano question
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvano question  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Stephany

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 1:20pm
Subject: Silvano question

I just took my quick mill silvano out of the box today and set it up. It is my first "real" espresso machine. I have a couple questions I'm hoping you can answer...

1. The portafilter will not go 90degrees to the machine without manhandling, which I do not want to do to my new, much more expensive than I was hoping to spend machine (thanks to all of you! I hope you are happy, Coffee Geeks!) it rests at about 75-80 degrees. On my old krups, it went 90.

2. The baskets need to be pushed into the portafilter really hard, and they need to be snapped out with a knife. The baskets on my old krups just sat in the portafilter.

Are these conditions normal, or is there something wrong with my portafilter? I'm sure as i get more experience with the machine i will figure it out, however, i would rather know immediately so that I can send it back if necessary.

Thanks for all your help, once again.

And CoffeeRon, you have your answer!!!!!!

(PS made my first shots today. They were pathetic for several reasons I won't mention here, but Hubby and I both agreed they tasted better than You-know-who) ; )
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 1:25pm
Subject: Re: Silvano question

The baskets are probably held in with a spring and are hard to remove because baristas bang them on the knock box to remove grinds and  you would not want it just sitting on top of the handle.  It would be a mess.

I am not sure, but I am willing to guess that the portafilter is not supposed be at 90 degrees.   Look at videos on you tube of people using your machine and you will have your answer.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 2:28pm

The PF has a ridge basket (PF has a spring, on mine it's like a triangular looking wire) that hooks into the ridge on the basket. That's why some go ridgeless, my  bottomless PF is a little looser and easier to pop out but my double spouted one is hard as heck to get the basket out. Not sure what you mean by 90 degree's, not every machine locks in the same, as long as the PF is snugly locked your fine, don't try to force it like superman.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 3:53pm

Do not worry about the 90 degree issue.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 4:18pm

And here I thought you were going to end up with the Cuarada for sure.  Love a story with a surprise ending.  :-)
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 6:14pm

I had a feeling... Congrats. It's a really nice looking machine :)
CoffeeRon

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 6:22pm

You can pop the spring out of the portafilter if you want the basket easy to remove, it will want to fall out when you knock the puck out though. You shouldn't need to remove the basket that often though really, just now and then to give the PF an extra good cleaning.

Edit to add- That's just my 2 cents. Some people leave the spring out, and leave the PF in the machine while they prepare the shot in the basket. Different strokes for different folks, you'll find what works best for you.

One more edit- It occurred to me you only have one PF (unless you ordered a bottomless with it). So I guess you'd need to switch out with the backflush disk. The spring should loosen up a bit with some use if you want to leave it in. Guess I've gotten a bit spoiled in some ways.....
Stephany

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 3:53am

This issue settled itself. Looks like it just needed to "break in." Portafilter now moves all the way to the front. I have gotten used to the basket--and a closer reading of the manual reveals that the basket must be pried out.
    I'm happy to report success on my milk-steaming, but am still working on my shots. However, all but my worst pulls are better than You-know-who!
    I am using the machine much more than expected--and loving it! In fact, it's heating up right now. I only wish I could stand more caffeine--I need the practice!
CoffeeRon

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 7:38pm

Glad to hear you're enjoying your machine! In this age of throw away kitchen appliances I really enjoy having an espresso machine on my counter that I know will last as long as I wish to take care of it.
The shots do take some practice, unfortunately once you get them down you'll just want them that much more :P
Have you found a good source for fresh roast beans?
Stephany

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 12:33pm

We have two coffee roasters in our town. I purchased from one, but didn't ask them when the beans were roasted. My shots recently have been gushers. I've adjusted the grind, they are okay for one or two, then gush again. Then I check the pressure, upped it a it, they were fine for one or two, then gushed again. I'm working on my taping technique and I'm sure I will end up with a scale. But in the meantime I am frustrated! The good news is they still taste way better than most everything I get from most places! And, hubby likes cappuccinos in the morning (yes, plural...he's gotten quite spoiled now that summer is upon us). Those I find taste phenomenal no matter what shot I pull!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Silvano question  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374107837677)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+