Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DenVogel
DenVogel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis Francis X1
Grinder: Solis Maestro Classic
Drip: Jasper Morrison Rowenta
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 12:36pm
Subject: DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300

Has anyone had luck getting good coffee from the DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300? This is the main machine at our office. I've tried a few different settings, but have not been able to produce a cup that I'm happy with. It appears the beans and water are decent. Wondered if anyone had some settings or operational insights that are not in the manual. Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 1:06pm
Subject: Re: DeLonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300

It's a superauto, a low end one at that, even highend $$ superautos make crap coffee vs cheap semi-auto machines. Superautos just don't have capable grinders or tamp correctly or hit right temps let alone almost no temp stability b/c of all the plastic inside etc. What beans are you using though, you still would want to try fresh roasted and more of a medium roast as superautos are not fond of dark roast especially if oily, and if the beans are store bought/stale well that goes without saying lol. When you say water is decent, how's it being filled (tap, filtered, bottled etc?)
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 2:14pm

Hi CMIN. Thanks for the insight on the machine. It's pretty weird to watch it work. I never see dark brown coffee come out. It starts a crema color, then I just see water come out on top of it. I've fussed with the controls, but can't seem to get much different result. Thought maybe it was just me, but I bet the temp has a lot to do with it.

The beans are roasted within the past week or so. They are from a pretty popular local roasting company, and are a darker roast (i.e. probably French).

The water is filtered tap. I'm picky about water, and this tastes pretty good on its own.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 3:23pm

DenVogel Said:

Hi CMIN. Thanks for the insight on the machine. It's pretty weird to watch it work. I never see dark brown coffee come out. It starts a crema color, then I just see water come out on top of it. I've fussed with the controls, but can't seem to get much different result. Thought maybe it was just me, but I bet the temp has a lot to do with it.

The beans are roasted within the past week or so. They are from a pretty popular local roasting company, and are a darker roast (i.e. probably French).

The water is filtered tap. I'm picky about water, and this tastes pretty good on its own.

Posted June 27, 2013 link

Try a medium roast, superautos don't play nice with dark roast and especially a french will cause them to gum up. But even with a medium it'll pry still be pretty poor, just the nature of superautos. may need to be cleaned if they've been running dark roast through it.

If I were you i would just get an aeropress and cheap hand grinder for work, will be 100x better lol.
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 6:55am

CMIN Said:

If I were you i would just get an aeropress and cheap hand grinder for work, will be 100x better lol.

Posted June 27, 2013 link

I may end up this route, but was trying to avoid it. Part of it is time and mess. The other is office relations. They just got the DeLonghi machine recently, and the office seems excited about it. I don't want to be the "coffee snob" if I can help it. :P
nambi

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 8:42am

I have / had (until the other day) an EAM3500 probably similar to the 3300 and I found certain beans made a hige difference, best of all the bean I find which tastes the best in my machine are of lower cost.

Kimbo - Extra Creme

it was about 13$ a bag and tasted better out of this machine than the 28$ Lavazza
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 10:13am

Try an aeropress at your desk.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 6:57am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Try an aeropress at your desk.
http://aerobie.com/products/aeropress.htm

Posted June 28, 2013 link

Doesn't that put me back in the tea kettle, coffee grinder, scale, and timer bucket? That's what I'm trying to avoid, due to mess and lack of time.

I do French Press at home and love it, but I don't think I can swing it at work.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 8:19am

Maybe  you can "diplomatically" convince them that dark beans, even french, are going to gum up a grinder that will be finicky anyway due to the steam within the machine. Clean the grinder, then start fresh with a lighter roast, you'll probably find the results more palatable. You'll probably have some naysayers thinking they need to be dark roasted for espresso, be ready to counter with the fact that the better espresso shops use lighter roasts these days, "try it you'll like it" if they really don't they can go back to the darker roasts- and cross your fingers.
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 8:02am

CoffeeRon Said:

Maybe  you can "diplomatically" convince them that dark beans...

Posted June 29, 2013 link

I'm thinking there won't be many people in the office this week. I may do a trial run with beans I'm familiar with and see how it goes.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > DeLonghi...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.496537923813)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+