Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pod & Capsule Machines
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pod & Capsule...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
DenVogel
DenVogel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis Francis X1
Grinder: Solis Maestro Classic
Drip: Jasper Morrison Rowenta
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 11:51am
Subject: Pod & Capsule Machines

Is anyone getting results they are happy with from pod or capsule machines (i.e. Nespresso)? The existing forum discussions I'm finding on pods and capsules are several years old. I thought I'd touch base to see if anything has changed or the better.

Point of reference. I started a new job, and really need to get a good cup of coffee in the afternoon but won't have a lot of time. I'm used to doing a very structured French Press ritual in the mornings at home.

There is a Delonghi there, but I have not been able to get a satisfying cup from it. I briefly considered a small French Press or pour over for my office, but I don't think my situation is going to allow for weighing, grinding, boiling, etc. that is required. I would be willing to drop a couple hundred bucks on a capsule machine if it meant convenience with good results.

Thanks for any suggestions or insight.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 11:58am
Subject: Re: Pod & Capsule Machines

I know there are at least some people who prepare their own capsules to use in those machines.  It might be something for you to consider.  There are definitely posts on that method here from within the past several months (though not many).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 1:03pm

While it will not come close to good fresh coffee properly made, I find the (forgive the spelling) Kurig etc to make a drinkable cup. One of the motels we stay at often has them in every room. I often pack brewing gear and will be doing so again when we get there this weekend, but I no longer go through the bother. The ease of use coupled with acceptable but not high quality is enough for me to just use the machine. I am not looking for a great cup, just something hot and drinkable. That it does in my view. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 1:43pm

I have a Nespresso machine that gets regular use, and it does quite well for what I need.  Here's a previous thread I commented on:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/629030
and specifically my general methodology including filling my own pods:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/629095#629095

Currently I'm not personally using the Nespresso at all, because I'm concentrating on learning my 1984 La Pavoni Professional.  As of today, the La Pavoni is offline waiting for a seal.  In the meantime I fire up the NS Oscar when I want espresso as I'm learning on that machine too, but that's a 30-40 minute heat up time for full system heating or at least 15 minutes for "hot enough".  (With all the summer heat now I might be switching to the Nespresso again rather than turn on the kitchen heating NS Oscar.)

My wife, on the other hand, uses the Nespresso daily, loves the quickness and speed of the product.  She's a little dismayed that I'm not custom filling the pods as normal, but we still have alot of Nespresso pods that need to be used or tossed so at this moment she has to use the Nespresso factory made pods.  Since I use fresh coffee with grind dialed in on my own filled pods the quality exceeds Nespresso in our opinion, and is close enough to real espresso to make us happy most of the time.

No, it's not REAL espresso.  Crema is from a pressurized portafilter setup I believe.  Shot volumes should be adjusted much lower than the factory default, and my single button only puts out 25ml of espresso through a fresh pod for a ristretto sized shot.

Flavor:  My ristretto is quite dense and rich in flavor and quite good straight, with a touch of milk, in capps and latte, and will easily flavor a whole milk drink with 1 or 2 shots.  (Wife prefers 1 shot and I like 2 with heavy milk drinks.)

Heat up time: 5 minutes + plus 1 lungo pulled through to heat everything up.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.

If you don't mind the cost of Nespresso pods and paying for it through office expense then you can use their pods and there's a pod for nearly every taste.  If you want a little better quality control then get the emoHome refillable pods, a good grinder and pod your own.  I can put about 20 pods in a glad-ware container for easy use by the machine, and they keep okay for up to 1 week due to the pressurized portafilter extraction.

If you want to save a few $ on Nespresso machines you can pick them up on Craigslist for up to 1/2 off, sometimes even new.
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 5:04pm

I got my Nespresso D90 for $20 via craigslist a while back and am using it occasionally since I've shelved my Gaggia Classic until I have time once again to geek out on both brewed coffee *and* espresso (currently focusing on the former).

If you want much more info. on the various single-serve options available these days, try here: http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com/.

Another idea: how about making cold brew and bringing it in to work?
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 5:46am

jbviau Said:

If you want much more info. on the various single-serve options available these days, try here: http://www.singleservecoffeeforums.com/.

Another idea: how about making cold brew and bringing it in to work?

Posted June 27, 2013 link

Well holy crap. It never occurred to me there would a forum specifically for single-serve. Thanks for that link. Next thing you know, this interweb will have nudie pictures and cat videos.

I will have to give the cold brew some thought as well. My only experience with cold brew is using Blue Bottle New Orleans Iced coffee kit. I realize it's different than what you're suggesting, but let me just say it is a fabulous way to get your coffee fix on a summer afternoon.

Thanks.
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 5:51am

DanoM Said:

If you don't mind the cost of Nespresso pods and paying for it through office expense then you can use their pods and there's a pod for nearly every taste.  If you want a little better quality control then get the emoHome refillable pods, a good grinder and pod your own.  I can put about 20 pods in a glad-ware container for easy use by the machine, and they keep okay for up to 1 week due to the pressurized portafilter extraction.

Posted June 27, 2013 link

I can accept the expense, if it produces palatable results in short order. I'm glad to hear that some coffee geeks are getting good results with it. I'll do some machine research this weekend, and perhaps return with more specific questions. Maybe I can find a Sur la Table or Crate and Barrel that have a demo machine?

Thanks.
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 9:00am

If you like French Press, and are not exclusively wedded to espresso, and it can fit your budget, you can't go wrong with the Bunn Trifecta MB and a hand grinder.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 9:10am

Last time I was in a Sur La table they had all the capsule/pod machines on demo.  I could have sampled from them all.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DenVogel
DenVogel

Posted Fri Jun 28, 2013, 8:05pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Last time I was in a Sur La table they had all the capsule/pod machines on demo.  I could have sampled from them all.

Posted June 28, 2013 link

I'll make a trip there tomorrow. I see that they have a couple machines branded Illy capsule compatible.
Anyone have experience with them? I am not turning up either model in my searches of consumer reviews. Maybe they're too new?

Thanks.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pod & Capsule...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.452420949936)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+