Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Advice for Broken Rancilio Silvia - two years old.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advice for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
cbadland

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 7:43am
Subject: Advice for Broken Rancilio Silvia - two years old.

Hello. This is my first post here - I hope I'm posting in the correct forum.
Exactly 2 years 2 months ago I purchased a Rancilio Silvia from Whole Latte Love. This morning it broke. The rear water line of the expansion valve of the boiler sheared off, sprayed water inside the housing and it looks like yellow wire power connector on top of the boiler shorted out (the plastic connector is burnt black).
I called Whole Late Love and they said my machine is 2 months out of warranty, but I could ship it to them for a repair estimate.
Iím surprised that my Rancilio barely lasted 2 years before a major break down, and not sure how to proceed. I donít believe there is any local repair shop anywhere near where I live (Tallahassee FL). The Rancilio site does not have a list of authorized repair places.
Any advice?
Thanks In Advance.
Charles
 View Profile Link to this post
Cafedenda

Espresso: Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Wega Conical, Mazzer SJ
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 9:43pm
Subject: Re: Advice for Broken Rancilio Silvia - two years old.

For Italian espresso gear, the importer or dealer usually does the repair under warranty, not the manufacturer.  The yellow wire is a power carrying wire that goes to the heater (based on a few pictures I saw on google).  Do you have a multi-meter (voltage and resistance)?  If you do, post back and one of us should be able to help you figure out what's going on.  Also, trace the wiring from the power cable to the power switch then to the heater.  Do you see any other burnt fittings?  A photo would help too.
cbadland

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 3:24am

Hello,
Thanks for your response. I think the burned power connector is secondary. I think that happened after a water line broke off the boiler and sprayed inside housing. I do have a volt-meter but have not tested for continuity. I may do that this weekend. Let me try to post some photos.

cbadland: bad_Silvia_2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
cbadland

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 3:28am

hmm. not sure how to have more than one picture in a post. Here is there other one:
Something caused that water line to snap off. And I think the water from it or the boiler may have caused the burned connection. But that is just a guess.

cbadland: bad_silvia1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 5:21am

As long as the element, switch are in tack and not burned out you should be able to go to your nearest electronics store and replace the yellow power wire.  Here in Canada espressotec.com carries parts for the Silvia.  Espressoparts.com in the U.S carries a lot of replacement parts as well.  Test all of the connections that may have been exposed to water.   Espressoparts has the replacement hose but not the electrical.  I recommend replacing the wires yourself.  A repair estimate will likely cost you 1/2 - 3/4 of thecost of a new machine.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
cbadland

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 6:00am

Yeah. I think I can handle replacing the electric connector, as long as there is no other damage. What I'm not sure about is the water supply line and the pressure valve it broke off from. It looks like the piece that connected the water line to the valve snapped in two, with half in the supply line and the other half in the pressure valve. I have not been able to remove the broken pieces, so I wonder if I need to replace both the pressure valve and water line.

I'm glad you mentioned EspressoParts.com.  We live in Florida,but just by chance we will be driving through Lacey WA (where Espresso Parts is located) next week on vacation.  So I plan to drop in and get advice in person.
Thanks!
Burner0000

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 9:36am

I would just replace the valve also.  This will dodge any more possible issues in the near future.  Silvia's are very durable machines because they are build with all commercial grade stuff.  What broke on yours IMO was a one in a million chance. I would just bring your Silvia with you and they can most likely help you out on the spot.
Burner0000

Posted Sun Jul 6, 2014, 11:10am

Guess what?.. The yellow wire burnout just happened to me.. The machine still works but it smells bad once it's heated up.  At least I know it's just a wire short. The machine was on for a while yesterday so I'm sure it was my cause.  Hope to get it replaced tomorrow.  I'm having espresso withdrawal.

How did your repair go last year cbadland?
cbadland

Posted Mon Jul 7, 2014, 4:32am

Hi Burner,
Thanks for your advice last year. The Sylvia repair went smoothly; as you recommended I replaced the hose, valve and wire connector. Took about an hour. She's going strong, just finished my morning latte. Good luck with your repair.
CB
Burner0000

Posted Mon Jul 7, 2014, 6:32am

cbadland Said:

Hi Burner,
Thanks for your advice last year. The Sylvia repair went smoothly; as you recommended I replaced the hose, valve and wire connector. Took about an hour. She's going strong, just finished my morning latte. Good luck with your repair.
CB

Posted July 7, 2014 link

Thx! I'm hitting up the local electronics shop this afternoon. Hopefully they have the right wiring or else I'll have to order a whole new wiring kit..
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Advice for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341793060303)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+