Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
What's wrong with this Saeco Aroma?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's wrong...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MWB88

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:11pm
Subject: What's wrong with this Saeco Aroma?

Dear everyone,

I have a Saeco Aroma that has been serving me well for over five years.  Recently, its pressurised filter holder has become clogged when using my habitual grind.  While I am able to squeeze out a dose, it does not have the body of an espresso.   I ran descaler through the machine, but this has not improved matters.  The motor for the pump becomes quite strained.  What is the problem?

(a) is the motor providing pump pressure not working as it should and needs adjestment or repair?
(b) does the pressurised filter holder need replacement?  Is it possible to get a replacement?

I have uploaded a video so you may see for yourselves, although the machine normally is less effective than shown in this clip

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

I live in a remote location, far from any repair service.  Any help would be highly appreciated!!
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 4:12am
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this Saeco Aroma?

It does appear that the pump is nearly stalling, from that clip. Though, as you say, it's not that bad in that video. It could just be that your espresso grind is too fine for the machine. A new pump could overcome that problem, at least for a while, though getting slightly coarser espresso to match the machine might be a solution. I don't think that the pressurized portafilter is internally clogged since the flow is fine without the Illy in it. You could try to depressurize your portafilter. That Illy is plenty fine and should make somewhat drinkable espresso without the hocus pocus of end-line pressure to create crema.
I don't know what that machine is worth to you, but you might consider upgrading rather than investing too much into repairs on that. Something with a relief valve, a three-way valve and a non-pressurized portafilter will burn out fewer pumps.
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Wed Jun 26, 2013, 6:14am

If the portafilter mechanism is gummed up with coffee oils it will not open with just the water in most cases and the pump will quite down/struggle as well,
since that (the portafilter)
and the coffee are the only 2 things conuterpressuring the pump out put (we are not considering scale inside the passagesfor the above reason)
it's ether your coffee grind too fine (as mention above)
or just time to replace the pump
normally a machine like your after a pump replacement/repair testing should still push water through the portafilter with coffee very fine and TAMPED
(and when you remove slowly the portafilter you will have a mini explosion

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MWB88

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jun 27, 2013, 6:04am

Thanks so much for your advice.  

Therefore, it is either (a) a too fine grind of coffee; or (b) a tired pump.

Given that I have been using the same brand and grind of coffee for years now with no issues, it must be the pump.  

I guess it is normal that a pump needs to be replaced from time to time.  Didn't know that.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > What's wrong...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3539249897)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+