Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rocket HX doesn't need flush?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket HX...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Sigma

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:09am
Subject: Rocket HX doesn't need flush?

Reading here
Click Here (coffeesnobs.com.au)
it is suggested that the new Rocket HXs do not need a cooling flush, or very little (2oz), due to their thermosyphon restrictor.

Is this really true? Is the temperature management that straightforward?
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:20am
Subject: Re: Rocket HX doesn't need flush?

My Oscar with Musica thermosyphon restrictors only needs a 2 oz flush.  The londinium has a thermosyphon that they have balanced so it doesn't need a flush at all.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:31am

Very interesting. I just sold my Cellini Premium Plus V1 because I hated dealing with the cooling flush and small drip tray. I was flushing 8-10oz of water to pull a shot. If this is a fix in the new machines that just hasn't been advertised, it's a major plus. Definitely something I would advertise and push if I were Rocket.
Sigma

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 12:38pm

This feature seems like "A Big Deal" and should be something they advertise.

If it's the case, what temperature would the group be at?
dsblv

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 1:02pm

The Rocket's need a flush, like any other HX machine.  I use the standard flushing technique and flush until the water dance stops.  If the machine is hot, I typically end up flushing 4-5 ounces.  I use a group thermometer to determine when to pull the shot.  Once you get things dialed in, the process is very repeatable and easy to do.
Sigma

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 1:37pm

Which Rocket do you have?
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 1:53pm

dsblv Said:

The Rocket's need a flush, like any other HX machine.  I use the standard flushing technique and flush until the water dance stops.  If the machine is hot, I typically end up flushing 4-5 ounces.  I use a group thermometer to determine when to pull the shot.  Once you get things dialed in, the process is very repeatable and easy to do.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

Correct.   It may be true that the thermosyphon (and whole system) design is optimised, and that the amount needed for cooling flush is reduced in some machines, but you can't eliminate it in conventional HX design.

There's a bit more to the thread linked to than might first meet the eye.  You can buy Italian made HX and DB machines of this type directly from Italy at much lower price delivered than Aussie retail (even after shipping and customs costs are paid, the price may be only 2/3 or less than local prices for Izzo, Quickmill, Rocket etc).  Of course you have no local warranty - it would be a major cost and nuisance to have to ship a 30kg espresso machine half-way around the world for service - but it's a big saving.  US retail prices are much more reasonable - not as cheap as direct from Italy - but the difference doesn't make your eyebrows rise - and buying from a local supplier is a no-brainer.  Anybody suggesting importing machines direct on aussie forums will be pounced on by site sponsors.
You can read all kinds of "interesting" claims on Aussie sites, that despite having European CE certification, the machines shipped "grey market" are electrically unsafe, that despite being sold to many happy customers throughout Europe, the machines are not "set up" for "local expectations" - they run too hot, too cold, too much or not enough pressure, whatever.  It's not just coffee machines, but for many retail products there are concerted campaigns on the 'net designed to convince about the added value of buying locally - unfortunately this sometimes results in FUD.
dsblv

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: MACAP MC4
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 2:08pm

I have the Evoluzione.  I believe all current Rocket HX machines share a common HX design.  So, there shouldn't be variation among the HX models.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 2:14pm

All HX machines need a cooling flush and nearly all DB machines need a warming flush and EVERY MACHINE MADE needs a CLEANING flush so it really isn't a big deal.

My machine takes about 3 oz of water and that goes into the cup for warming though the cup came off the warmer. My machine is on 24/7 and often it is 18 or more hours between shots and still only about 3 oz is need. My drip tray is plumbed in as is the machine but like I said, the water goes into a cup to warm it so it does not go into my waste jug of water (plumbed in for water supply and a 4 gal jug for waste water)

The only exception to the HX needing a flush for cooling is when some numb skull lowers the temp in the boiler to brew temp then the first shot out is to temp and you need to wait for the second shot to get to temp. Forget about steaming, the boiler is set too low, below the boiling point of water. If you do this, all you do is turn a really nice HX machine into a big, handicapped SBDU, without the DU.

There is a LOT of misunderstanding on how a HX works and that leads to all sorts of folk lore and urban legends about their operation

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 2:24pm

dsblv Said:

I have the Evoluzione.  I believe all current Rocket HX machines share a common HX design.  So, there shouldn't be variation among the HX models.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

Yep.  The variation with the rotary pump model in brewing technique is that if it's plumbed in, then you can use water line pressure for gentle pre-infusion - the middle position on the lever - in addition to the automatic mechanical pre-infusion built in to the group which actuates when you raise the lever.  I used to do this - but then when I tried using only the automatic mechanical pre-infusion, the coffee tasted exactly the same, so I don't bother any more.  The need to do this probably depends on the beans and grinder - I've never had an issue with channeling / early blonding, so it seems to me there's no benefit, but others may have a different view on this.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rocket HX...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415096998215)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+