Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How do I reduce the temperature of the Racillio Sylvia?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How do I reduce...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Ascaso, Baratza
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:54pm
Subject: Re: How do I reduce the temperature of the Racillio Sylvia?

I'm not going to tell you how to cook or otherwise prepare food, that is your call. I'm not even going to try to tell you how to brew coffee. I will say, though - if you want to brew coffee at 60 degrees C, there is no reason to use a Sylvia or any other espresso machine. Just use a drip filter or press pot at whatever water temperature you prefer. Espresso machines really aren't designed to extract at temperatures that low.
 View Profile Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:04pm

I really think the reason coffee around town tastes so gross because it is to hot. I am sure that's it. Same with tea. My mum makes tea at boiling point. It is fowl.
I put about 30 mil of cold water in my tea to stop it being so hot and it so much nicer. I quit sugar and took up honey!

Nutrient food is the best! I am sick of a steak that is well done or over cooked it is gross. I am over white bread and milk.

I love a steak that is half cooked and juicy, makes my blood tingle!

Same for coffee, everyone steams the milk around 200 degrees especially the older ones who grew up on it.

Nutritious food for some reason costs more money but man it is good!
I roast my coffee! It is fresh as fresh!

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:11pm

Thanks for the advice, does a drip filter pull a crema? Does a drip filter work the pressure am esspresso machine can?
Also um I am not being rude. A sylvia has a top temp at 90 degrees so 30 degrees difference, does it matter as far as functionality?

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:18pm

As far as saving nutrients in water, not much! but there is nutrients in water none the less and these are vital. Now live a life of boiled water, every time you are removing those nutrients.

Same with foods, you are removing vital nourishments.

Now a lot of food lacks nourishments like fastfoods, refined foods.
This is why the western society has so many malnourishment issues and intolerances.

Also It is not just the hot water but the coffee. The coffee has nutrients that will be destroyed by severe heat.
So a lower heat will make a better tasting coffee.

The water is essential for life! If you water a plant with boiled stove water, the plant does not grow well and will deplete. If you water a plant with purified water it will flourish.

It does seem pety this saving nutrients in food. It is not, in the grand scale of things it is essential for health and well being.

Also nicer taste in coffee.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 3:27am

Back to the topic at hand.... I'm going to ignore a lot of the other stuff you've mentioned, you're entitled to your opinions. Those do not belong in this forum.

Let me make something very clear here, I'm not here to discuss your religious beliefs, your food beliefs or anything else which doesn't relate to coffee.
I'm not here to argue with you, only parlay advice. If you choose not to listen or take it, that is your decision.

Your goal of reducing the machine temperature to get a more nutritious coffee is not a feasible or reasonable one. Espresso takes everything out of the coffee and puts it into the
cup, that is precisely what you want. You do not want to preserve the integrity of the coffee grind because you are drinking the coffee, not eating it. If you want to get nutrients
out of your coffee, eat a stick of celery or have a banana along with your coffee. It will provide thousands of times more nutrients than what you lost in the water..

If you want to get everything out of your coffee, eat the beans straight, don't even bother brewing them. I occasionally snack on chocolate covered espresso beans myself.

Ccup Said:

Also It is not just the hot water but the coffee. The coffee has nutrients that will be destroyed by severe heat. So a lower heat will make a better tasting coffee.

Posted June 23, 2013 link

Couldn't disagree more. You don't extract coffee with boiling water, but you don't extract it too cold either. To get the best out of coffee, you extract it at a proper, controlled
temperature. Too much heat and you end up with a burnt tasting shot because you extracted too much. Not enough and the shot is sour because you didn't extract enough.
That is the key. You must extract the proper amount out of the coffee while balancing the tastes to your preferences. Nutrition never comes into play here.

The engineers at Rancilio designed your machine with the best brewing temperatures in mind. They compromised by picking a thermostat which they felt was ideal. In saying that,
most roasters will agree that 195-205 F is the most ideal extraction temperature for their coffee.This comes from years and years of experience, testing, tasting and so forth.

If you want to brew your coffee colder, just brew coffee with your Silvia cold. Don't wait for it to warm up and brew right away.

Let me re-iterate something, you don't lower your brewing temperature to get a more nutritious coffee. This is an incorrect way of thinking. You lower your brew temperature
because no matter what you do, under extraction, underdosing, etc will always get you burnt tasting shot.

One last thing, you are not a plant. Boiled water will not hurt you. It will not stop you from living. Our bodies are designed to get our nutrients in different ways than plants.
The whole point of drinking coffee is to enjoy the taste of it and to get the caffeine out of the beans. When you lose sight of this, you're not drinking coffee anymore.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 4:04am

This is your first post on this topic, I innocently asked how to lower the temp of a coffee machine Sulvia and then I was asked why and the reason I had to explain. Thus I had to implement my conjecture not opinion on why!

Sure you can ignore it no worries and yes what I said everything I said relates to why I want to lower the temp of the coffee machine. So yes it does belong here with my question! I mentioned my belief as the basis of why the food is healthy and yes the food is healthy! I did not need to mention belief but I chose to and there is no harm here!

Food does relate to coffee! Why? because food is coffee! The two go hand in hand. Yes it is feasible and it is very reasonable! You are ignorant to think so! Retaining the nourishments retains the taste! Yes espresso does take everything out of the coffee into the cup! Yes I do want to preserve the integrity as water leaves the grind into the cup. I do not want to burn it and I am sure you are familiar with bitterness that comes with hot water?

Do not be snide with me and tell me to eat a cellery with a coffee, that is gross and you know it! The water is not the only aspect that has the nutrients. Yes you can eat the bean straight and I have done, I would no cover it in chocolate as that defeats the idea of a healthy diet. Also eating a bean is not like a shot of Ristretto.

So you disagree that HOTTER water would retain the nutrients in coffee? despite the fact that to hot water destroys the nutrients in water. That my friend is inconsistent illogical thinking. I find the Sylvia is to hot and it is perfectly acceptable for me to say that! What you say about hot water and cold water is correct.

Yes well I disagree with those roasters. Rancillio picked the est thermo stat for the price I paid. Again I believe the Sylvia is to hot and I am at liberty to say that!

I know people who have made coffee for twenty years and there coffee tastes bad. Experience does not always bring perfection. It also comes down to money.

I do brew with Sylvia when it has not reached optimum heat I was just asking if I could program it to naturally sit around the 70 degree mark.

Let me re-iterate heat does kill nutrient and I believe the Sylvia gets to hot, this my shot is to hot and yes I can taste the difference between a shot that sits at 60 degrees opposed to a shot that sits at 85 degrees.

Ok mate I am not dumb I am not a plant I am a human being and I am aware of what happens when a human is malnourished. Yes the human is far more complex than a plant and we do gather nutrients well. A human on a high nutrient diet reaps the rewards and the equality of life is increased ten fold compared to someone who eats refined, fast foods and fiber-less foods.
I believe there is more to a shot of coffee. I do not have milk or sugar. I believe these refined foods destroy coffee.
So the colder temp will retain these amazing nutrients listed below.

Ok so here I just did a quick google on the nutrients found in coffee. Hot water will destroy these and they would be extracted into the espresso.

Plant Phenols

Plant phenols are powerful antioxidants found in coffee. Plant phenols in coffee are similar to the antioxidants found in berries and include flavonoids and lignans. Researchers believe that plant phenols can protect the body from cellular damage and diseases involving the cardiovascular system and cancer. Plant phenols are also involved in the breakdown of lipids and carbohydrates in the body.

Chlorogenic Acid

Coffee is the main source of chlorogenic acid in the American diet. Coffee can contain anywhere from .5mg to 1mg of chlorogenic acid per 8-ounce cup. Chlorogenic acid prevents the growth of tumors and slows the growth of existing tumors. Chlorogenic acid is also believed to contribute to a healthy cardiovascular system by reducing triglyceride levels and decreasing blood cholesterol. Chlorogenic acid also regulates the movement of bile, thereby reducing bile stagnation, which is thought to reduce the effect of liver and kidney disease. Bile stagnation causes adverse effects in the liver, kidneys and gallbladder and can cause cancer and stone formation.

Caffeine

As stated above, for maximum benefits, coffee should be consumed in moderation. A moderate amount of caffeine can increase mental clarity and focus. It has also been suggested that caffeine improves cognitive function and could prevent the development of Parkinsonís disease and Alzheimerís disease. Caffeine might not be healthy for some people who have heart conditions because caffeine can increase the heart rate and blood pressure. The caffeine in coffee could also be contraindicated with certain medications, such as stimulants or diuretics.  

Tocopherols

Tocopherols in coffee contain vitamin E. Tocopherols in coffee act similarly to plant phenols. Tocopherols act like antioxidants and assist in the synthesis of carbohydrates and lipids. Tocopherols also protect cells against damage and destroy free radicals in your body. Tocopherols found in coffee are particularly important for ocular health and your skin. Tocopherols can also inhibit the growth of gallbladder and kidney stones and may protect you against colorectal cancer.

As you can see, the moderate consumption of coffee can provide many health benefits including cancer prevention and increased cognitive function. The nutrition in coffee has also been demonstrated to improve performance in endurance sports. It should be noted that coffee is intended to complement a healthy diet, not replace the antioxidants and other nutrients found in fruits and vegetables. Also, coffee is not for everyone. Before making coffee a regular part of your diet, you should check with your doctor to ensure that it wonít conflict with any medications you are taking; especially if you have cardiovascular disease.

ref: fitday dot com

I bet there are more I think nitrogen is one yes because the grinds put nitrogen in your compost making your garden go off.

I have had a shot from water that is to hot and I feel average.
I have had a shot from stale beans and I felt average.

I have had a GOD shot from a lowered temp purified water and I feel better. I feel my emotions balance. I feel detox! This happens when I pull a great shot.

Everything I have said so far has been relevant to why I want colder water! It all relates to how I enjoy a coffee and that is what this forum is about!

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 4:37am

One last note, I have been roasting for around 4 month now and I am so glad I did and this is why. Bought beans are often stale or become stale fast. They are often roasted to dark. I do not like a dark roast! I also do not like a too light roast. There is a very fine line for a good roast. Again we have the heat issue killing the nutrients in a bean.

I speak this out of knowledge, experience and finally taste. This is a new topic integral but relevant too.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
JPizzzle

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 8:03am

Comment retracted
ddubick

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:23pm

I'm somewhat sorry for my first comment, but this thread came out exactly as I thought it would.

But to directly answer your question you need to replace the brew thermostat.  Depending on how old your silvia is this might be tricky depending on if you have the threaded screw thermostats or the contact thermostats.  All I could seem to find in that temp range is contact ones.

http://www.cafeparts.com/productDetail1.asp?ItemID=47865
http://www.cafeparts.com/productDetail1.asp?ItemID=68587

I would search on http://www.coffeeparts.com.au/ but they don't seem to have a search function.  Maybe call them up and see if they have any thermostats in your temp range.

Good luck.
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 2:49pm

It is ok mate no hard feeeling and thank you so much for the information you gave me!

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How do I reduce...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.479786157608)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+