Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How do I reduce the temperature of the Racillio Sylvia?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How do I reduce...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:03pm
Subject: Re: How do I reduce the temperature of the Racillio Sylvia?

Sorry, but I can't stand this esoteric nonsense.

Our ancestors invented cooking, because it preserves food, makes it safer (by killing otherwise dangerous bacteria and parasites) and makes a lot of edibles easier to digest, sometimes even turning the nutrients accessible for our body in the first place. Raw fruit and vegetables are pretty much indigestible to our intestinal tract, for example, because our body lacks the enzymes required to digest cellulose, which is why we can only take up a fraction of the nutrients. Even though it's true that heat can degrade vitamins, on the whole the advantages of cooking outweigh the harm by far. And you won't get any malnutrition by eating cooked meals. Whoever claims anything else doesn't know basic physiology and food science.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:25pm

First up it is not esoteric! Second it is not nonsense all tho that statement does come from Modern scientists/ Medical professionals.

Now if you are implementing evolution into this your argument is flawed because evolution is a flawed fairytale. It is true some foods do resist heat better and some foods come up nice once cooked, they retain there nutrients. Some foods on the other hand get desecrated by heat. As for dangerous parasites being in the food we eat, that is complete garbage, I have gone through plenty of raw foods and never felt better! Now please do not get me started on the copious amounts of refined food the westerns eat.

Did you know the less you cook meat the more nutrients it retains, the more you cook it the more it removes! I am not saying you will get less nutrition by eating cooked meals. I cook a lot of my meals! If you wish to digest food better then eat fibre, where is fibre found, whole wheat. To bad most people eat fibre less white bread. Are you going to tell me about phytic acid found in the wheat? I know that one.

I tell you if you wanna get malnutrition eat the western diet!

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 12:32am

Ccup Said:

As for dangerous parasites being in the food we eat, that is complete garbage, I have gone through plenty of raw foods and never felt better!

Posted June 22, 2013 link

You can get tapeworm by eating raw meat. You can get round worm by eating raw fish. Eggs and fowl can be contaminated by salmonella. Hepatitis A virus, e. coli, listeria, shigellae and campylobacter are usually transmitted by contaminated food. The list goes on...

Ccup Said:

Did you know the less you cook meat the more nutrients it retains, the more you cook it the more it removes!

As far as vitamins are concerned, that much is true. However, not all the vitamins contained in raw fruit and vegetables are accessible to our digestive tract, because of the reason stated above. So by processing food, you might get more nutrients, even though some of them have been degrated by cooking, for example.

Ccup Said:

I tell you if you wanna get malnutrition eat the western diet!

What is a healthy diet? There is much debate about this question, and the answer varies depending on who you ask and when the question has been posed, because ours views on that matter change

Ask a vegetarian, and most will tell you that, apart from ethical considerations, their way of eating is the the healthiest one. However, science has yet to prove, that vegetarians live any longer. So far, studies have only shown that they die fitter.

The so called mediterranean diet is very fashionable at the moment and is supposed to be very healthy. However, a medical study conducted by the University of Heidelberg compared three ways of eating: regular home cooking, mediterranean food, and fast food. They analyzed the concentration of nutrients contained by the different meals as well as their effect on test persons. Three groups were formed and randomized to a diet, which they had to keep up for four weeks, whereupon all groups received the same amount of calories per meal and per day. Their health status was checked before, during and after the study period. The interesting thing is, that food analysis found no difference betweens diets as far as the required daily intake concentration of nutrients was concerned with the only exception of vitamin C in fast food. Neither health status nor weight changed significantly in any study group.

I'm not trying to say that we should live on fast food. But in western society you won't get malnutrition as long as you eat a more or even less balanced diet. As far as overweight is concerned, what really counts is how much you eat and not what you eat. The problem with fast food is that it's energy density is very high, i.e. a small serving already contains lots of calories, so that we tend to eat too much of it in order to feel full.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 1:01am

Yes you can get parasites from rancid meat. I eat the raw meat and I have no gut worms. If it is fresh it is clean.
I eat the raw fish but fresh again if it is old yes you will get parasite or sick. You can eat raw eggs fine as long as it is fresh.  All those infections you listed can and are prevented by eating fruits, whole Wheats and the list goes on.

Thanks for confirming about the vitamins remaining in the raw meats. Maybe The body does have a hard time getting nutrients out of the food or maybe it does not. Science suggests it may but it not hard fact. Some foods you can cook to very high temperatures, coconut oil for example thus I only use that oil for cooking, in fact I eat a lot more coconut now and modern scientists are beginning to accept coconut is medicinal!

A healthy diet! Is the food that hangs on a tree and grows from the ground! Or the water that falls from the sky.
That is healthy and I will share with you my soul conviction.

I believe in Jehovah, I believe he made us and I believe he made the food for us, to keep us well. That is the food from a garden. I believe that food is infallible.

Now there are bad foods which are refined. White sugar, White wheat and hydrogenated oils. Take note, the heat does that to the oil.

All tho vegetarians eat No meat they still eat refined food! This is bad and I have seen them get infections, cold etc.
Same for Vegans. They deprive themselves of natural healthy foods.

Mediterranean diet sounds good but again it depends what they eat. If there chowing down white bread or white rice. Not so good. I thnk it is good tho because I think Mediterranean eat ancient grains. Now I just do not know there diet so I should not comment about it. I have a Mediterranean recipe book, the foods are naturals.

I can speak for myself tho. Ever since I quit all refined foods I feel better. I have lost 10 to 15 kilos, my brain thinks better, my emotions are balance,I do not even get head aches, I do not get saw anything I just feel fine!
I can play guitar better, I can draw better and I will brutally honest I poo better!

I have been reading a lot about foods and the benefits. I read a lot about refined foods. It all points some where. I find that bad food points to a sick people and good food points to a healthy people.

I do not have a science degrees, I have no proof.

I watched some testimonies on youtube about how natural foods cured these sick people. One lady telling her story stuck out big time. She was saying her husband had terminal cancer or something and she got him onto natural foods. The doctor said I do not know what you are doing and I do not want to know. Fancy that he did not want to know!

The nurses were keen to find out but the Doc said stay away!

Why would he say that? I say it is money, arrogance and pride. People do not want to know.

Oh one last story I had knits and freaked. I had dreads. I shaved my head and went straight to the pharmacist who sold me clinically proven formula to removed the knits. It suffocated them and disable there respiratory system. It did not work.

So I read on LIVESTRONG that Lavender oil can do it.
Yep $10 Lavender oil removed the bug!

You do not need a degree to see the obvious.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 1:27am

Anyway back to the start, the less hot water makes the coffee shot taste nicer! I do not have a science degree for this I just know it by taste.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:08am

Surely you are looking at this the wrong way. Cold brew coffee has to be the way for you to go and ditch the espresso machine.
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 5:57pm

In correct, water can with stand a certain temperature and that temperature helps the coffee bean to! This hitting that sweet temp is perfect and makes a beautiful shot of coffee.

The sylvia gets to hot I can temp surf it tho by turning it off.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 6:19pm

Ccup Said:

Are you mocking me mate! Here is an idea go grab the popcorn and educate yourself on nutrients! Also here is another little thing you can do. Go burn the crap out of your water and compare it to natural spring water found on a mountain! Ignorant prick.

my brain thinks better, my emotions are balance.

This is interesting. :)

Maybe you should lay off coffee all together.
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:24pm

Why would I cease drinking this sublime drink?

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
zedex

Espresso: Spaz v2
Grinder: vario
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:43pm

Ccup Said:

Why would I cease drinking this sublime drink?

Posted June 23, 2013 link

I cant think of any reason. :)

Curious though.. What magical nutrients are you saving by reducing water temp . And how much espresso do you plan on drinking daily to make any difference healthwise.
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How do I reduce...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.441487073898)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+