Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Adding SSR to Cuadra, notes and experiences Sec 1/7
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adding SSR to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
t3chiman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cuadra
Grinder: hand
Drip: Brazen
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 12:30pm
Subject: Adding SSR to Cuadra, notes and experiences Sec 1/7

Foreword
Over a year ago, the coffeegeek community put me on to the benefits, and value, of the Cuadra espresso machine. In that time, I have come to admire the ethical business practices of 1st-line. With such positives in mind, I offer some payback, in the form of a photoessay on my experiences in swapping out the stock electromechanical relay for a solid state functional equivalent. This is not intended to be a definitive statement on the topic; more of an anecdotal description of my thoughts and experiences as I solve a particular appliance malfunction problem.  And it is far from my best work in electronics engineering. On the other hand, it does work. And that's something. I offer it in gratitude to the community, and in the hope that it will inspire others to offer other, ever more improved, solutions to the problem.

Disclaimer
Up front, it goes without saying, but I gotta say it: opening up a box with 120VAC, lots of wires, connectors,  1200W heaters, etc., inside brings its own set of hazards into your life. Keep aware, at all times, of the status of the power connection (Off and unplugged 98% of the time). Have a clean, well-lighted place to work. Know what you are doing in the areas of appliance wiring and metalbending. Document your work. And, finally, understand that, as with any mod to somebody else's product, the ongoing support policy is YOYO (You're On Your Own).

It doesn't heat up
It's distressing. After a year or so of reliable operation, Cuadra heats only partially, intermittently, or not at all. After verifying the obvious, you turn to Google, thence to coffeegeek. "It's the relay". After popping off the top and left-hand (from the front) side panels, you spot it: a 1x2 inch circuit board, with a medium sized electromechanical relay mounted on it. Even without shining a light on it, you can see that the  contact enclosure is obscured with soot. You may reason: "Aha, the contacts are dirty. I will clean them, and all will be well." And it's true enough. A good cleaning will restore normal operation. For a day or so, in my experience. The trouble is that the contacts have been switching 10A AC, and they are not meant to do this for more than 100,000 times (25000 is what Omron has verified). Cuadra's heater control logic (the p-stat) activates the heater every 35 seconds or so after initial warmup. Do the math. Figuring 100 operations per hour, after 250 hours of operation, you can expect to have relay-related performance problems with your Cuadra. After 1000 hours, you will.

t3chiman: 1_its_the_relay.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Adding SSR to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.319972991943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+