Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How do I reduce the temperature of the Racillio Sylvia?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How do I reduce...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:22am
Subject: Re: How do I reduce the temperature of the Racillio Sylvia?

Hi,

Please be so kind as to explicitly state exactly which nutrients are lost when you boil water and how significant that loss (of nutrients) is considering you drink one coffee a day.
 View Profile Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: rancilio silvia
Grinder: rancilio rocky
Drip: na
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:32am

Just found an experiment on  youtube, two actually. Both plants stunted by the boiled water. I could do the experiment myself too. Well the fact it stunted the plants, I find convincing to say there is nutrient loss.

Heat just does that.

Never mind.

Why does turning the Sylvia off not work? Once it is off the noiler is off thus the water temp lowers, ytes?

"A good cup of coffee starts with a seedling."
Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
http://stores.ebay.com.au/Snaggles-Shark-Teeth
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:39am

ok

I do not know how to diagnose and find exactly what nutrients are in water but the content vary around the world ecause of the environment.

Calorie Information
Amounts Per Selected Serving%DV
Calories0.0(0.0 kJ)0%
 From Carbohydrate0.0(0.0 kJ)
 From Fat0.0(0.0 kJ)
 From Protein0.0(0.0 kJ)
 From Alcohol0.0(0.0 kJ)
Carbohydrates
Total Carbohydrate0.0g0%
Dietary Fiber0.0g0%
Starch0.0g
Sugars0.0g
Fats & Fatty Acids
Total Fat0.0g0%
Saturated Fat0.0g0%
Monounsaturated Fat0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat0.0g
Total trans fatty acids0.0g
Total trans-monoenoic fatty acids0.0g
Total trans-polyenoic fatty acids0.0g
Total Omega-3 fatty acids0.0mg
Total Omega-6 fatty acids0.0mg
Learn more about these fatty acids
and their equivalent names

Protein & Amino Acids
Protein0.0g0%
Vitamins
Vitamin A0.0IU0%
Vitamin C0.0mg0%
Vitamin D~ ~
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol)0.0mg0%
Vitamin K0.0mcg0%
Thiamin0.0mg0%
Riboflavin0.0mg0%
Niacin0.0mg0%
Vitamin B60.0mg0%
Folate0.0mcg0%
Vitamin B120.0mcg0%
Pantothenic Acid0.0mg0%
Choline0.0mg
Betaine~  
Minerals
Calcium2.9mg0%
Iron0.0mg0%
Magnesium0.6mg0%
Phosphorus0.0mg0%
Potassium0.0mg0%
Sodium0.6mg0%
Zinc0.0mg0%
Copper0.0mg0%
Manganese~ ~
Selenium0.0mcg0%
Fluoride~  
Sterols
Cholesterol0.0mg0%
Phytosterols~  
Other
Alcohol0.0g
Water29.5g
Ash0.0g
Caffeine0.0mg
Theobromine0.0mg

Read More Click Here (nutritiondata.self.com)

There you are!

Also there are the nutrients in the grind that are extracted into the coffee cup that are also maintained by a lower temp.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
crazy4espresso
crazy4espresso
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Pharos
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:40am

I've got a solution for you if you want to pull shots at 70 degrees celsius and eliminate a lot of guess work with temperature management: open boiler lever espresso machine. Stick a thermometer/temp probe into the boiler, wait until it gets to 70 then pull the shot, done. Sell the Silvia and pick up an old Peppina or Caravel.
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 5:40am

Sounds easier said than done, thanks for the idea.

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:59am

Ccup Said:

Just found an experiment on  youtube, two actually. Both plants stunted by the boiled water. I could do the experiment myself too. Well the fact it stunted the plants, I find convincing to say there is nutrient loss.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

That's a possible explanation but nutrients aren't the only variable that affect plant growth.  I can't view the link here at work as our proxy blocks Youtube.  The scientific method exists because it is a proven process for testing hypotheses.  Without viewing the link it's impossible to say whether or not the linked Youtube experiments are credible or not.

In any case, this discussion isn't relevant.  If you want to brew at 60 or 70 C that's your call.  It's whether you're happy with what's in the cup that matters in the end.  If you're going to stick with the Silvia a PID is your best bet unless you can find a thermostat set to the desired temp.  However, from what I recall the Silvia thermostats aren't offered at such a low temp.

If heat is a concern for you I'm surprised you aren't cold brewing as suggested above.  No heat (even 60C is applying heat), no risk of losing nutrients.

Ccup Said:

Sounds easier said than done, thanks for the idea.

Posted June 25, 2013 link

What you're looking diverges greatly from the majority so you're not likely to find any quick, easy or cheap solutions.  Compromises always have to be made and in your case you're going to have to compromise on ease and cost.
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 2:59pm

Yes, nutrients are not the only thing that effect plant growth. The experiment etailed, cuty water, stove water and microwave water.
he did not mention what temp he went to, boil for stove I imagine.
The stove water plants grew but were greatlt stunted, the microwave plants grew a bit better and the city water grew the best. I would say because no heat was applied but none the less they all grew!

There is no scientific data here so if you want live by that then that person must forget all other suggestion. I am satisfied to know that heat does kill nutrients. I believe it and we have seen it's effect in the plant world.
I am happy to sayt no scientific evidence or proof is needed when one watched the differences in groth in a plant.

Now do put this into the human world become a much harder thing. When I look around I see a not so healthy people. Everyone has flu's cold, sicknesses of all sorts. I think this is because of the refined food we all eat.

Thus I no longer eat this. I am happy with the effect in me, no colds, no sickness.

I am happy to eat healthy nourished foods.
I have no doubt illness like cancer are cause by malnourished foods now after what I read on food.

I have no doubt eating healthy food will prevent cancer. I hitnk it is relevant because I believe it alters the taste in coffee and all this talk is linked to that.

To much heat is a concerm yes but I am ok with a lower heat. I like a lower heat.

Yes one man showed me a thermo stat that is aimed at 65 degrees. I could buy that and switch this one I have.

I think you are right, I am going to have to just turn the macine of and lower the heat that way lol

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
faster

Espresso: ISOMAC TEA II
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: PIDed, Modified "My...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 1:08am

There is another way to do this, it will cost you very little, kind of manual heat control and entirely manual and consists of rising temperature to 60C not reducing.
According to some of your theories, you would first kill the water and then reduce the temp to 60C?

What you will need is an accurate digital temp meter with a sensor and an electric button "momentary type" (good Amp rating).
K-type meter example   Click Here (www.ebay.co.uk)

The way it works: the sensor is mounted to the tank and sends temp read out to the meter, so you know the exact temperature of tank=water.
The momentary switch should be spliced in line, replacing the actual wires on the thermostat for brewing. (where PID's  SSR would connect-bypassing thermostat).

Power on Silvia and push button to start heating water and watch the temp rising and stop (pushing) when you reach desirable temp. See it as a manual over-ride of the thermostat, you activate the coil  manually. Momentary switch is obviously a must. You should be able to get any temperature you want.

I thought this concoction up when I was trying to figure out a no cost manual PID. Where you mount the button etc is up to you...You can probably tune it, design it better, this was a rough idea, because I put together a $50 PID system, so I stopped bothering
Ccup
Ccup

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 1:49am

Thanks mate!

I dunno about theory! How heat kills it. It is the way of it.
No I would not kill the water, I simply would not run water to hot. Anyway, thanks for this!

Man that is awesome!
Could you make a tutorial on you tube, I am not familiar with the internals of a coffee machine and have no idea what I am doing.

Thanks tho!

Snaggle.

www.snagssharkteeth.com
faster

Espresso: ISOMAC TEA II
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: PIDed, Modified "My...
Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 4:02am

Ccup Said:

Thanks mate!

I dunno about theory! How heat kills it. It is the way of it.
No I would not kill the water, I simply would not run water to hot. Anyway, thanks for this!

Man that is awesome!
Could you make a tutorial on you tube, I am not familiar with the internals of a coffee machine and have no idea what I am doing.
Thanks tho!

Posted July 9, 2013 link

I can't make a tutorial on you tube because I abandoned the project and ATM I am struggling with making a decent espresso and waiting for parts of my PID....no time.
It really is easy. All you have to do is to drill a 1/2" hole somewhere to install your push button, few connectors and some wire.
All the wiring info is here http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/Silvia/SilviaBrewing.html
Click Here (ordentligmat.no)

These two will give you all the info needed  below is a button type example...
      Click Here (www.ebay.co.uk)
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How do I reduce...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.453850984573)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+