Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Collaborative Coffee Machine Prototype Design
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Collaborative...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
ChaChaMan

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 7:09pm
Subject: Collaborative Coffee Machine Prototype Design

If we all collaborated  our inputs to design a coffee machine, I would be willing to build the prototype and to distrubute the plans. Any takers ?
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 8:53pm
Subject: Re: Collaborative Coffee Machine Prototype Design

Do you own any machines right now?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:14pm

ChaChaMan Said:

If we all collaborated  our inputs to design a coffee machine, I would be willing to build the prototype and to distrubute the plans. Any takers ?

Posted June 21, 2013 link

You are a newbie with this one out of the blue post.  Your question reminds me of the aphorism about Greeks (or is it CoffeeGeeks?) bearing gifts.  

Sorry for the negativity, just my gut reaction.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ChaChaMan

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 7:50am

...here is something to start the discussion :

The first generation of machine would be a simple manual machine. Nevertheless, the aim is to include all the features to ensure the barista has all the controls he requires to make the best brew possible.

Kettle or boiler : To be elaborated

Dosing Chamber : The cylinder would be loaded with hot water and then driven out  by way of a  piston actuated  by a manual lever.

Plenum Chamber : In this chamber, water that is driven out of the Dosing Chamber is  distributed over the coffee cake. In this chamber there would be 2 sensors for temperature and pressure. These values would be displayed on dial gauges. The objective would be to maintain 195F and 9 bar (130psi) in this chamber throughout the pull.

Brewing Chamber : Contains ground, tamped coffee cake. Water is driven through this chamber in a manner such that the proper brewing water temperature and pressures can be controlled. The Coffee is funneled to the cup.

Auxiliary Systems: A hot water circulation loop to keep the chambers warm so as to ensure a hot enough brew.

ChaChaMan: pallSPREMA2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 8:32am

Seems to be a very naive approach from you post. What you have stated are all well-known basics, like saying, "I want to build a car with your help. it will have four wheels, one at each corner, a round device inside connected to the front wheels to make them move together at user-selected angles for directional control, and a motor for propulsion."  

Beyond that, If I had the resources to build my own espresso machine I would create my own design. I terms of a lever machine, I would also likely purchase a complete group since dealing with trying to design and spec seals and valving and such in a one-off design would be more trouble than it was worth.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ChaChaMan

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 8:51am

If we don't design our group, then we are mere integrators assembling other peoples components.

I think the before doing any detail designing, we should collect all the inputs.

So let's have your inputs - Shoot !
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 11:38am

So you want to monitor pressure right at the top of the brew chamber, in a lever machine, throughout the operating stroke. Instead of a cross-drilled shaft connecting the piston to the lever, you could use a hollow tube with a trunnion at the lever rather than a pin. That way your pressure gauge could sit at the top of the shaft constantly reading the exact pressure above your grounds. It may be subject to clogging if not cleaned often. The thermometer could be right there, also, though mounting it on the brass outer wall of the cylinder around the brew chamber could seem more traditional.
So there. You have a Pavoni with a hollow shaft and gauges mounted.
Now you provide an idea.
ChaChaMan

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 1:15pm

If I understood your input, you are suggesting  a temperature sensor in the Dosage Chamber (Cylinder and piston device drawing and expelling the dose of water). Wouldn't you want to read your pressure and temp as close to the brew chamber as possible - therefor in the Plenum chamber? This is the chamber immediately before the brewing chamber.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 6:34pm

Take everything I say with a grain of salt here....

You know, if I was designing an espresso machine, I would skip the 1930's era technology and aim a bit higher.

Bosch has already perfected the spring-loaded manual lever and Gaggia invented it, so I don't see any point to reinventing the wheel.
Why design and build another Londinium? Even if it had metered pressure control, it's pointless on a manual machine, IMO.  

I'd first look at the market and notice that saturated group head machines are usually too expensive for most consumers, with entry level
saturated grouphead machines starting in around the $6k mark. (ie. La Marzocco GS/3)

So, rather than reinventing the wheel, I'd consider designing a saturated group head which has the ability of thermosyphoning from the boiler,
kind of like a different take on the La Marzocco saturated group, but borrowing a lot of the concepts without violating patents.

Then, I would figure out a way how to design a cost effective machine which could compete on the terms of the GS/3, but cost approximately
$3000 less, probably by eliminating a lot of the customized electronics and sticking with conventional Gicar components for the boiler auto-fill,
PID, etc. This would keep the costs down considerably and make the machine easier to service. A manual switchable tank/plumbing valve and a
Procon rotary pump are absolutely mandatory and could be situated above or below the boilers. It would have to be a semi-auto machine.

In order to keep the footprint of the machine smaller, I'd utilize two horizontal D-shaped boilers, one for steam and one for brewing and aim for the largest
capacities I could fit into a kitchen friendly footprint, Steam boiler on the bottom and insulated, brew boiler ontop with the brew group attached to it. The
idea being is that the size of the boilers could be maximized into a small footprint, while shortening the tubing between the boilers. There would have to
be a line from the steam boiler up to the cup tray to warm the cups, like in the old GS/1's.

Of course, I'd aim for a lot of the features my current machine has, such as a vacuum breaker valve with a tube leading to the drip tray, a large drip tray,
a long flexible steam wand and hot water wand leading back to joysticks instead of knobs and of course, the two pressure gauges.

I would think that a prosumer/low-volume professional machine aiming for somewhere around the $2500-$3000 mark would be the most business viable
machine for the espresso machine market, but I'd aim for competing directly against the GS/3 IMO.

Now, in saying that, I'm not an engineer, not by a longshot.. Building out a prototype is going to be quite expensive and is going to have its errors. I'm no
mechanic either. I couldn't build an espresso machine if I tried, but I can at least put forward a viewpoint!

In saying that, look at what Salvatore did. They designed a double boiler machine using an E61 group and Gicar components from scratch and they're
selling it for $5500-ish, so I have my doubts that even if they can't undercut Izzo, that it's possible to keep a machine like this under that cost.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 6:46pm

Look at the patents for the old VAM/Arrarex Caravel, add sensors and a separate pressurized boiler for steam. Use stainless open boiler with a magnetic steel core at the bottom so you can use induction heating for the brew boiler. You could enlarge the water jacket around the piston so it's a little more of a heated group than it already is. Dual PID for temp control of brew and steam boilers.

I'll even help out with the patent numbers:

United States Patent 2,925,027

United States Patent D182,853

Long expired, so they're freely available.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Collaborative...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.436812877655)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+