Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Baseline settings for Crossland CC1
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Baseline...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dlk7u

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 2:52pm
Subject: Baseline settings for Crossland CC1

Hello everyone:

I recently purchased a crossland CC1 and really like it so far.  I'm using it with a Rancilio Rocky and beans from my local Joe shop in NYC and have been very pleased.  

However, the CC1 does have a dizzying array of different parameters (temp, total duration, pre-infusion, wait time, etc.), so I was interested in what people were using as a baseline setting.  I'm particularly interested in temp, as I've read that the CC1 measures temp at the boiler, so there is a discrepancy between the listed temp and the brewhead temp.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,
Dan
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 3:14pm
Subject: Re: Baseline settings for Crossland CC1

The temperature profile may not be as bad as you think. I have measured temps inside of the portafilter with a low mass K thermocouple thermometer and the temperature is not that far off... here is a link to a more detailed article about the temperature profile.....
Click Here (10000shots.com)
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 4:47pm

I've played around but generally keep my temp at 201. Been playing with preinfusion and wait time a lot lately just with various beans, I have it on 2 seconds and 4 seconds wait, think the beans before this were tricky pulling and 3 seconds and 5 second wait worked awesome for those beans. The machine is surprisingly quite accurate with temps and stable. I could tell a difference, I've pulled beans that were awesome at 200/201 and when tried at 205 could clearly taste more "burnt" if that makes sense.
fredk01

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 8:57pm

CMIN Said:

... The machine is surprisingly quite accurate with temps and stable. I could tell a difference, I've pulled beans that were awesome at 200/201 and when tried at 205 could clearly taste more "burnt" if that makes sense.

Posted June 20, 2013 link

That is good to know.  It is my understanding that this is one of the things a more 'high end' machine gives you so you can get the best out of a given batch of beans.

Now if only I could stop spending on other projects so I can pick one of these up...
dlk7u

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 6:52pm

Thanks for the replies!  Do you guys notice the machine taking a *very* long time I hit the final degree when warming up?  I was shooting for 202, but found that the last increase from 201 to 202 took forever.  Now I have it set for 203, which means it hangs out at 202 for an eternity.  I'm not totally thrilled with a jury rigged solution like that, but in the scheme of minor complaints its nothing serious.

I'm also really glad I got a bottomless PF for the cc1.  I never knew how uneven my distribution was until i fired up the machine with the bottomless PF and streams of vaguely espresso-colored water went rocketing out at every imaginable angle!  Seriously, it went everywhere: wall, countertop, my sleeve, my eye...

The next day I started using a needle for mixing the grinds and PRESTO, no more channeling (or sour tasting espresso)!
dlk7u

Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 7:28pm

Dean,

Thanks for the link.  The thermocouple graphs are fascinating.  

Just to be clear, when you describe a "flush time", that means PF out, hit the brew button and let water flow for the listed time (3 secs), stop the flush, immediately lock the PF and hit the brew button a final time to brew "for real"?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:01pm

dlk7u Said:

Thanks for the replies!  Do you guys notice the machine taking a *very* long time I hit the final degree when warming up?

Posted June 23, 2013 link

The CC1 has a microprocessor based control. This basically means that it has the ability to make decisions on what to do based on the temperature sensors. The machine does not run full speed up to the set point temperature and then shut off... if it did, the residual heat and reaction time of the sensors would allow the heater to heat past the set point. Instead, once you get within about 20 degrees or so of the set point, the controller will start shutting the heating element off and on in order to "sneak up" on the correct desired temperature. This improves the accuracy of the final temperature and also explains why it takes a while to settle down to the exact temperature you have programmed into the control. Maybe Bill from Crossland's will read this post and give you a better explanation, but I think even Bill would explain something similar to this.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 8:30pm

PID algorithm explained and you can understand the slowing.  

http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/pid-explained

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dlk7u

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:13pm

Very cool - thanks for the info.  I'm still interested in the flushing sequence, as I've noticed a sizable drop in boiler temp from a 3 sec flush, presumably from room temp water being drawn into the boiler.  I'm wondering how this relates to the (pretty flat) temp curves at the brewhead that Dean observed using a thermocouple.  Is the answer that this (mid-brew) drop at the boiler doesn't affect the temp at the grouphead (and therefore isn't something to worry about)?  I think this shows my lack of understanding of boiler/grouphead design.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 1:08pm

dlk7u Said:

Very cool - thanks for the info.  I'm still interested in the flushing sequence, as I've noticed a sizable drop in boiler temp from a 3 sec flush, presumably from room temp water being drawn into the boiler.  I'm wondering how this relates to the (pretty flat) temp curves at the brewhead that Dean observed using a thermocouple.  Is the answer that this (mid-brew) drop at the boiler doesn't affect the temp at the grouphead (and therefore isn't something to worry about)?  I think this shows my lack of understanding of boiler/grouphead design.

Posted June 24, 2013 link

Any machine will really see a drop like you mention with no PF locked in, or an empty PF, when doing a flush. With a puck, the pressure helps keep it stable, the "pid'd" water temp is being pushed out as new water comes in, but the CC1 has the largest boiler in it's class (17oz vs 12oz of the Silvia) so there's more stability then others in it's class. The PID will show a drop like any other, but the water hitting the puck as many have tested show it to be stable.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Baseline...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.555954933167)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+