Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 223 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Supernas

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 12:31pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

thought that you might say that, but thought that someone might have gotten frisky and taken it apart and looked or done it..lol

hey has breville just be giving people the new pf and since I was getting ready to get the naked on can anyone confirm if that is the b style?
 View Profile Link to this post
jamierayo

Espresso: Breville DB, Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Mini E,...
Drip: Aeropress, Kalita Wave
Roaster: iRoast2, Behmor
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 2:18pm

I have some doubts that the spin out fix is simply a new portafilter.
Breville is sending me a new /B model as a replacement because the PF is consistently spinning out of my original. If a new PF alone would fix it, why not just send that instead of a whole machine?

I hope there are some changes to the group head too.  I'll be rather disappointed if I can't use my bottomless or single spout PF's on the new machine without them spinning out.
occoffeefan

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 3:01pm

the new /b machine will be tighter for the old naked portafilter you have and itwill loosen over time just like your old machine. If you use the new/b portafilter it will widen the gap more quickly and your old portafilter runs the chance of spinning out sooner.  I have chosen to use my older naked portafilter for now. I asked Breville customer service if they have any naked portafilters based on the new /b desigh and they do not at the present time.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 3:45pm

Clearly the portafilter spinning out is not a pervasive problem that affects everybody.  I got mine back in mid-Dec 2011 not long after they came out.  

I've had three spin outs in a year and a half and all were traceable to what Phil McKnight said about it... The silicone group gasket is slippery when wet or with soap residue from the cleaning tablets or Caffetto, whichever you use.

I just make sure the gasket and the rim of the portafilter basket is bone dry and never have a problem.   In fact I only lock it lightly,  not even all the way to 6 o'clock sometimes.

Some of the aussies have had some luck very lightly roughing the underside of the lugs on the portafilter.   Do NOT reshape them.   Just a light scuff.   I have not done this as I have not needed to.

--Peter
JJC
JJC

Espresso: Breville 900Xl, Saeco...
Grinder: Compak K3
Roaster: Behmor, Nesco
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 4:40pm

Just agreeing with Peter.
This has never happened with me unless I was careless with the condition of the silicone gasket.

When it has happened has been, very rarely, after a sticking puck which was inadequately cleaned.
The coffee oils and grounds seem to lubricate the gasket.

The oils and grounds seem to lubricate the gasket.

Taking the gasket out and washing it in cafiza and then thoroughly rinsing it fixes the problem.

JJ
BubbaDude
BubbaDude

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Clever Coffee Dripper
Roaster: Hottop 2KB
Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 4:59pm
Subject: New grouphead design

I've got a /B machine and also a /A naked PF. The /B PF screws on very tight, completely firm with the handle at 5:30 o'clock, while the naked doesn't get tight until about 4:00. So there is a difference in the dimensions of the lugs on the PF.

That said, I don't have any spinout issues with either the /A or the /B PF. But I didn't have any on my /A either, so YMMV.

"I've Scaced many HX/E61 machines, seeing shot variances of up to 8-10F or more. [The BDB] stays within 1F." - Mark Prince
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
donner

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 5:03pm
Subject: Re: New grouphead design

We have two of these machines and have never had a portafilter spin out of place.  Both machines are A models and both portafilters are of the older design.  I'm not even careful to dry the portafilter edge or gasket.
vitomatt

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:39am

Can someone tell me please what are the differences between the "newer"  /b models... and the older ones?

Also for those of you that have had their machines for a while would you say the QC issue that is raised by others is legit or just heresay?

Thanks!
B747VET

Espresso: BES900XL/B
Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 10:55am

My "B" model spins out very rarely compared to my first machine.  However, even with drying everything carefully every time, the threat is always there so I can't leave it alone.  It would be child's play to design a fix so I am not happy about this continuing potential problem.  You only have to have one spin out and break a coffee cup or spread coffee fluids and grounds all over the kitchen before you develop a mistrust of this machine.

Stepping away and risking a 20 minute cleanup routine just isn't worth engaging in trust.  That being said, it's a tremendous machine overall, a true bargain, and keeping one hand loosely on the portafilter handle is a small price to pay for enjoying such a great machine.  After awhile I've became quite adept at single handed milk stretching/frothing.
Supernas

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:41pm

what are you all dosing that are getting all these spin outs? I have only had that happen once and I had over tamped. Needless to say that clean up sucks ass, but I want to keep my no spin out streak alive
showing page 223 of 258 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370764970779)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+