Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 43 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SylvainMtl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 1:56pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Hi Dave, can you tell us how the  machine behaves in "party mode" (8-10 cappuccinos in a row) ?
tx
 View Profile Link to this post
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 2:01pm

SylvainMtl Said:

Hi Dave, can you tell us how the  machine behaves in "party mode" (8-10 cappuccinos in a row) ?
tx

Posted July 16, 2013 link

At this point, I think we can realize that Daves machine is not going to perform like the US version. His machine has a larger heater. As far as the flex goes. To me, it looked like the portafilter was locked in pretty gently;with two fingers almost.
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 2:10pm

cuznvin Said:

At this point, I think we can realize that Daves machine is not going to perform like the US version. His machine has a larger heater. As far as the flex goes. To me, it looked like the portafilter was locked in pretty gently;with two fingers almost.

I thought the portafilter was locked in gently too but being unfamiliar with semi automatic machines,  I could be wrong.

I still am curious as to whether the pump press gauge should always be at 9 bars of pressure.  Does it go higher or lower if the grind is too fine or too coarse?
SylvainMtl

Espresso: Elektra Sixties A3
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly with...
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 2:15pm

JaniceAnn Said:

I thought the portafilter was locked in gently too but being unfamiliar with semi automatic machines,  I could be wrong.

I still am curious as to whether the pump press gauge should always be at 9 bars of pressure.  Does it go higher or lower if the grind is too fine or too coarse?

Yes it can be normal.  I've had machines acting this way after pulling a shot, depends on the configuration.
DavecUK

Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 3:56pm

cuznvin Said:

OK well I could not easily tell, you could be right....I know there is absolutely no issue I am concerned about on the UK machine. Sure there is movement, but it's the normal what you would expect...steel does flex very slightly, it's what makes it such a versatile material. I think you need to look at what the machine does, how it works, the entire package, which for me on the UK machine was  better than anything else I had tested, and I've tested a lot of machines. Theres also stuff I have not touched upon here, which will be in my review.

The second part about a US and UK machine is also a good point....I don't know about the US version, but I would think you can safely trust CC judgement. The UK machine in party mode will not have a problem, no single user is going to outrun the machine. As for all the talk about the Vivaldis...they only have a 500ml brew boiler, so if they can cope...why would you believe this wont.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 6:30pm

DavecUK Said:

OK well I could not easily tell, you could be right....I know there is absolutely no issue I am concerned about on the UK machine. Sure there is movement, but it's the normal what you would expect...steel does flex very slightly, it's what makes it such a versatile material. I think you need to look at what the machine does, how it works, the entire package, which for me on the UK machine was  better than anything else I had tested, and I've tested a lot of machines. Theres also stuff I have not touched upon here, which will be in my review.

The second part about a US and UK machine is also a good point....I don't know about the US version, but I would think you can safely judge CC judgement. The UK machine in party mode will not have a problem, no single user is going to outrun the machine. As for all the talk about the Vivaldis...they only have a 500ml brew boiler, so if they can cope...why would you believe this wont.

It isnt the brew boiler that people are concerned about... I think..  Vivaldi has a 1.2 liter steam boiler with a 1250 watt heater. 150 watts more ..
gz20tt

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Bodum
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:39pm

DavecUK Said:

The second part about a US and UK machine is also a good point....I don't know about the US version, but I would think you can safely judge CC judgement. The UK machine in party mode will not have a problem, no single user is going to outrun the machine. As for all the talk about the Vivaldis...they only have a 500ml brew boiler, so if they can cope...why would you believe this wont.

GAH!
I just got word from my retailer that my machine won't ship for another 12 days now.
I ordered on the 5th with a 10 day quote for delivery (I was happy to call that working days - so I was expecting arrival at the end of this week)

Excuse is a delay at the factory - they must be busy cranking out units for the CCS preorders and a bunch of units for the UK due to all the hype from you Dave :)

At least I know it'll be fresh off the production line - with the latest improvements.
I may even get to read the review before it lands.

I just hope they don't cut any corners on QC to rush them out.
I should ask my retailer to ask QM to put in the LED's for me due to the delay.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:40pm

Not sure what the discussion really is here, but if the 800 watt brew boiler is the concern, I don't think there is anything to worry about. I made some quick calculations and assuming that you use 4oz of water to preheat the brew head and pull the shot, recovery time for a 140 degree F temperature rise is less than one minute. I arrived at the 140 F temperature rise by assuming a inlet water temperature of 60F and a brew temperature of 200F. I know I am not fast enough to pull a shot a minute. I think the B2 is actually rated for 20 shots per hour... which is one every three minutes... fast enough for me.
Rhinoevans

Espresso: La Spaziale S1, Starbucks...
Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:45pm

More info on E61 pre infusion

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-pre-infusion
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Jul 16, 2013, 8:58pm

Rhinoevans Said:

More info on E61 pre infusion
http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/e61-pre-infusion

Thanks for that!

Do you know if the very first "proper" way is the way the preinfusion works on the 2B? I will paste that paragraph below. I wish he had mentioned whether that works when the machine is not plumbed in.

---------
Firstly, the E61 has built in pre-infusion, in the lower chamber of the group there is a preinfusion chamber and while this fills the pressure to the coffee puck is lower measured with a pressure measuring portafilter. This chamber is sealed with a weak spring seal that lets by at around 4 bar. The chamber fills very quickly a matter of a few seconds for a rotary and a little longer for a vibration pump. The idea of this is to prevent the shock of 9 bar water hitting the coffee puck in the portafilter and allow a more gradual ramp up of pressure. this is by design, this is correct and it works well.
----------

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
showing page 43 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.437367916107)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+