Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Went to Italy, drank coffee, I'm ready to replicate it at home.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Went to Italy,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Re: Went to Italy, drank coffee, I'm ready to replicate it at home.

I spent five years using my Gaggia Classic and MDF grinder and loved the heck out of it. I think the Silvia has more to offer though.What you will find
in quality DB's and HX machines made in Italy is the ability to consistently deliver on a more regular basis better results. The ease of use and build quality
also improves with price in most cases. So yes you can enjoy great espresso with Gaggia Classic or Rancillio Silivia .It is also true that more expensive machines
do it more consistently,easier,faster for large groups,and have exceptional build quality. The question you need to answer really is one only you can answer.
Do you see yourself seriously getting into this ? If so and your going to want to be at this years from now. Then my personal advice is to buy a good Italian
DB or HX machine and a good grinder, skip the many steps people go through. Get a machine thats one you can spend a long time with. I cant stress enough how
important it is to buy from someone who is going to be around for awhile and you trust. Machines eventually need things and they need to be maintained but if they are they
can last a really long time. My Classic was used every day for five years and I changed the grouphead gasket once and steam valve. Now my daughter has it and is using it
everyday. Have fun, its a longer road than I thought, so after five years I moved up to a machine within my price range that was actually a great deal and its one
I can live with a long time. One more thing in my opinion a DB AND HX both can deliver great coffee. Have fun my friend.

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Click Here (www.clivecoffee.com)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 1:22pm
Subject: Re: Went to Italy, drank coffee, I'm ready to replicate it at home.

For your usage pattern, you might want to check out the Silvano that Chris sells.  I haven't used it, but it would seem it should easily handle your two cappas a day, has Quickmill build quality but is not too expensive, and could do more if you do entertain a few friends.

Pretty sure Dan Kehn over on home-barista just revisted it or put it in one of his newbie advice videos (can't remember which) you should check out.  I can't get to the website right now though, so I can't link to them.

Living the caffeinated life.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Went to Italy,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310611009598)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+