Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A new problem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 9:32am
Subject: Re: A new problem with my CC1 (brew pressure again)

I use Dezcal as well in my CC1, actually just descaled it 2 days ago.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 4:29pm

I am pleased to report that the initial testing with the new pressure valve is very promising. The pressure on this gauge is 10 bars exactly. I have been assuming that this gauge was 1/2 bar low in comparison to some others I checked it against using air pressure. If that is true, I have exactly 10.5 bars, but maybe Bill checked this valve before he sent it against something more accurate than my averaging method.

Bill: Just a note, the pressure rise with air captured in the PF doesn't seem to be any faster than the tests in the video, but the pressure is, of course, much higher and stable. Also, there is a little mineral build up around the top of the old valve which looks like it may have been leaking a bit.

I am anxious to re-dial my grind for the higher pressure and see if I can improve the shot quality. If you have been following my issues, I have been putting out bad shots from the beginning. I am hoping that all of that was due to the low to very low pressure I have had and that this is the start of new taste experience for me. I struggled for months before I hooked a gauge up. My advice to anyone that is experiencing issues that you can resolve is to buy yourself a PF pressure gauge.

Thank you Bill!
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 5:01pm

Hopefully you'll now be able to see the awesome shots this machine is capable of lol. That does suck though you went that long frustrated, if the opv was fluctuating that could have easily affected extractions. I would think you'd still want to be around 9.5, I know other machines that come incorrectly calibrated or at a higher setting people generally adjust to 9.5. That's the one thing I haven't checked on this machine, is the opv adjustable?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Mon Jul 1, 2013, 5:06pm

CMIN Said:

Hopefully you'll now be able to see the awesome shots this machine is capable of lol.

Posted July 1, 2013 link

Well, at least I have a new problem I have not had before... now I can't get the grind fine enough. My coffee is a little old, and I have a calibrated tamper, but its pouring though like crazy now with 19 grams of coffee.  I guess I am off to the grinder forum to get help re-calibrating my V-W

I have a new package of Redbird that just arrived a few days ago, but I wanted to see if I could dial in this old coffee before I started on the new. The coffee I am using now is about 4 weeks old I think and I don't have too much left and I will be starting on a fresher batch.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 9:54am

give up on the month old coffee, you are just chasing your tail.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 10:55am

Coffeenoobie Said:

give up on the month old coffee, you are just chasing your tail.

Posted July 2, 2013 link

I ended up disassembling the grinder and cleaning it and re-calibrating it. By the time I got it half way close on grind to use the 4 week old coffee, I ran out of coffee. So I started with the new coffee... sinked the first two shots with the new coffee. I have made two drinks with new coffee... both very drinkable, but sure I have got to experiment to find my sweet spot. The one I drank last night tasted pretty decent with just milk and espresso without my flavorings... but I still like my sweetened flavored coffee the best.

Machine is completely different with the new pressure valve. It's like starting all over again.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jul 2, 2013, 1:20pm

I am sorry you have had so much trouble.  But you have learned a lot and now should be making great coffee.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 7:34am

Dean,

Congrats on fixing the problem!

Where did you buy the pressure gauge?

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:18am

emil3m Said:

Dean, Where did you buy the pressure gauge?

Posted July 4, 2013 link

I just bought a gauge like this (http://www.espressoparts.com/V_512)  that screws on my PF. This may not be the best way to go for you. I always use a naked  PF which means I don't use my dual spout PF, so I just screwed the spout off of my dual spout PF and put the gauge on it. So far, I have just left the gauge on it.  If you have a standard PF you can buy PFs with a gauge already on them. I don't think the CC1 PF is standard, so I didn't order a PF with a gauge on it.
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:35am

I use crossland's nude PF for shots and only use the spouted for backflushing. Would I still be able to backflush with a blind basket when the gauge is on it? Also, would the pressure reading still be reliable when the blind basket is in?

Have you come across solutions that may be more accurate? (like you, I do think that the CC1 PF is not exactly standard, so a different PF won't work)

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > A new problem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463892936707)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+