Espresso: Espresso Machines
Group head water temp declining
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Group head water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
lttlscamp

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 5:48pm
Subject: Group head water temp declining

I have a Rocket Evoluzione (the older model) that's a few years old now. It has a group head thermometer. Up until recently when the machine was sitting idle the water temp was around 204F. When I did my cooling flush it would jump up to 212-215F and I'd let it settle around 208 before prepping and making my shot.   Usually that gave me around 204 during my shot.

Recently the group head temp idles around 200F and drops down to 194 or so after a flush. It doesn't even hit 200 during the shot.  

Anyone have any suggestions about what could be the problem?  Bad pressure stat?  The boiler pressure gauge still reads around 1.1 bars.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 6:53am
Subject: Re: Group head water temp declining

Thermometers can drift off calibration over time.
I am not saying that yours is for a fact, but you do need to have another thermometer to check against. It takes 3 devices be they thermometers, pressure gauges or whatever to find the truth, unless one is certified recently for accuracy.

The reason you need 3 is that if you have two, and they have different readings, which one is bad? When you have two out of three that agree, the one with error is clear to see.

Off hand, I can't see why there should be a drop in the temp of the brew system if your brew pressure/temp still reads the same as it always has.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 7:23am

If you can test the thermometer, test it in boiling water, unless your in some high mountainous area, it should read 212 deg. Its that simple.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 8:35am

steamer Said:

If you can test the thermometer, test it in boiling water, unless your in some high mountainous area, it should read 212 deg. Its that simple.

Posted June 17, 2013 link

Not quite.

I am not in some "high mountainous area," but rather in the hills of Northeastern Pennsylvania. Elevation 932 feet. Boiling point 210.4 on a "normal" day.

(edit)
According to this site barometric pressure is not the only influence, since it's reported as a corrected value. So at 932 feet, with pressure 29.92, the boiling point for me right now is 209.7

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 3:11pm

Boiling point calc

Click Here (www.engineeringtoolbox.com)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 9:43pm

Scale in the thermosyphon loop could cause this. Have you pulled the mushroom to check for scale?

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
lttlscamp

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Evoluzione
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 12:14pm

Thanks for the suggestions.

I compared it with two other thermometers and all three were within one degree of each other.  

I've also descaled in the last few months and the thermometer looks clean.
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 2:18pm

lttlscamp Said:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I compared it with two other thermometers and all three were within one degree of each other.  

I've also descaled in the last few months and the thermometer looks clean.

Posted June 18, 2013 link

If the boiler pressure cycles normally say from 0.9 to 1.1 bar (approximately) then boiler temperature and pressure can be assumed to be correct (it's unlikely that both the pressure gauge and the pressurestat would "fail" at the same time - so if both are appearing to function normally - then you can reasonably safely assume that both are okay).  This is unless the pressure gauge started over-reading and an adjustment was made to the pressurestat to reduce boiler pressure - but doing this requires intervention, so you'd know that this was a possible cause of lower group temperature.  So if pressure is 1 bar in the boiler, the water temperature must be 120 deg C / 248 deg F.  There's a vacuum breaker, so it's very unlikely that there could be a problem from air in the boiler, but if you wanted to check this then run some steam for a while, then monitor temperature and see if it rises.

So if boiler water temperature / pressure is normal, and you trust your thermometer, then it doesn't leave many possibilities, as the group is heated only by heat transfer through the thermosyphon, and brew water heated by the heat exchange circuit - it must be a heat transfer problem.  Either the thermosyphon flow is restricted, or the HX coils are scaled up and not exchanging heat efficiently, or both.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jun 18, 2013, 5:26pm

I'm probably grasping at straws here but is it possible your boiler probe is acting up and your boiler is really low on water? It would possibly cause some odd temp. problems like yours. Might be worth pulling the probe and checking if it's clean and checking the boiler level- fairly simple to do at least.
Freddo58

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jun 19, 2013, 2:21pm

CoffeeRon Said:

I'm probably grasping at straws here but is it possible your boiler probe is acting up and your boiler is really low on water? It would possibly cause some odd temp. problems like yours. Might be worth pulling the probe and checking if it's clean and checking the boiler level- fairly simple to do at least.

Posted June 18, 2013 link

Indeed, that is another possibility.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Group head water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.533878087997)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+