Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 221 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
carz07
carz07
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Bodum Bistro,...
Drip: V60, Phin, Bonmac, Ame. Drip
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 8:07pm
Subject: Re: Needle-ing you...

toiler Said:

It flutters the same with blank. I prefer to have a 9 bar shot without fluttering which is why I adjusted the pressure. Best to move it back down and let the valve do its job.  It seems to make better shots with the fluttering and makes them in the proper time so I guess  its supposed to do that.

I am using 18 gram shots most times, but I move it up or down a few 10th's sometimes. Mostly I leave the dose the same and adjust the grind.

Overall the flutter is about 1 bar, half up and half down.

Posted June 8, 2013 link

hi are you using the dual wall single shot basket? what does it pressure gauge read?

Travel the world with a cup of coffee
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
occoffeefan

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario W, Mazzer Mini...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 6:15pm
Subject: Re: Portafilter spinning out of the machine - Breville will replace

I got the new replacement machine from Breville. I have attached pictures of the grouphead . this post l has the old machine picture . Next post will have the new one... they look the same. The model ends in /b. The machine blinds at 9.8 and pulls a shot at about 9.0. The portafilter is MUCH TIGHTER when it screws in, I can't screw it in past the lock mark.. too tight.  The machine comes with the 16 oz frothing mug, I have found this to be perfect for latte art.  the utility tray is different, with two lips coming off the drip tray instead of one (although I remove the utility tray and never use it.  I shipped the old machine back with prepaid fedex label.  All in all, very happy, great service.

occoffeefan: Portafilter lock on old machine.jpg
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
occoffeefan

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 6:18pm
Subject: Re: Portafilter spinning out of the machine - Breville will replace

this  post has the newmachine grouphead picture

occoffeefan: Portafilter lock on new machine.jpg
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 7:20am
Subject: Thanx!

The pictures came out kind of small, is the white gasket completely different on the new machine? It looks like it might be flat in your picture.

Glad you had a good experience, as you should!
occoffeefan

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 6:19pm
Subject: Re: Thanx!

Gaskets appear the same.  I did replace the silicone gasket on the old machine about a month ago, but still had the portafilter spinning out. By the way, I tried my first shot today on the machine ( from my columbian home roasted beans).  Great balanced flavor. I love the new machine!
moosie

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 8:58pm
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

Hey! Been trying to read through this whole thread... man it's big I'm on page 77 of 222 only. Anyways...

Had the dual boiler up and running for about a month now.. LOVE it.. ordered a 20oz toroid pitcher and a 12oz rattleware steam pitcher (pouring latte art in the toroid one takes some real getting used to... amazing microfoam though) because the stock 26oz'er is a gargantuan not meant for small amounts of milk (wish I had the 16oz that that guy got ^^^)... anyways.. also ordered a 18g VST filter after reading so many people gloating about it.

However, when I run my shots now (18g weighed 30lb tamp etc etc) I figured out the proper grind to get a ~26 second extraction (not including pre infusion) my pucks are kinda muddy and soppy afterwards... before with the stock breville filter basket it would be packed pretty tight and hit against the grouphead but the pucks would come out super clean and dry every time. Every shot i've pulled with the new vst has a bit of a espresso soup on top of it... now I know that's not supposed to be like that.. but why's it like that??? I can't figure out what's wrong
 View Profile Link to this post
PrescottCR
PrescottCR
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Breville
Grinder: Baratza
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:24pm
Subject: You are not alone

I had the same experience with the 15 and 18gm VSTs. But at those doses, the puck sits kind of low. You might try up-dosing another gram. I think it has to do with the 3 way valve and head space.

Besides the mess they worked fine. The same thing happens with the 7gm VST as well for me.
carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:27pm

moosie Said:

However, when I run my shots now (18g weighed 30lb tamp etc etc) I figured out the proper grind to get a ~26 second extraction (not including pre infusion) my pucks are kinda muddy and soppy afterwards... before with the stock breville filter basket it would be packed pretty tight and hit against the grouphead but the pucks would come out super clean and dry every time. Every shot i've pulled with the new vst has a bit of a espresso soup on top of it... now I know that's not supposed to be like that.. but why's it like that??? I can't figure out what's wrong

Posted June 14, 2013 link

just my 1 pesos hehehehe, the vst is a learning tool, actually more of a correcting tool, your choice to use it after specially its a bit pricy. the stock baskets are perfect baskets and what makes it good is that its forgiving. now the vst corrects every details of your routine sort of. you might be pulling good using the stock but then again when you got for the vst some problem arises. so you have to recheck your routine, after perfectly pulling shots using the vst, then you can go back to the stock and you cant go wrong with the stock. not to mention you might get into the naked portafilter hehehe

because of the stock design, that has the dent, it prevents you from underdosing, so you dose correctly and dosing correctly or overdosing will for sure eliminate the muddy puck. you can start with this variable - dose, solution is weighing the beans and after the grind, then weigh the shot for dry. if the dose is correct, then adjust the grind, course is muddy, fine is dry

moosie

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:41pm

Ya I will updose a gram... adjust the grind to keep the proper extraction time.   I really want the naked portafilter... just don't know how to get it by my wife haha. After the 700$ I spent on the BDB, 160$ on accessories, another 100$ for a portafilter haha... hard to pass that by her
 View Profile Link to this post
carz07
carz07

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:54pm

moosie Said:

Ya I will updose a gram... adjust the grind to keep the proper extraction time.   I really want the naked portafilter... just don't know how to get it by my wife haha. After the 700$ I spent on the BDB, 160$ on accessories, another 100$ for a portafilter haha... hard to pass that by her

Posted June 14, 2013 link

well you can tell her if your liking the shots now, i can make it way better by fine tuning the shots using the naked pf and it will be worth it

showing page 221 of 261 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.430553913116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+