Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
In Tank Water Softener?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > In Tank Water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CWirth

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 8:24pm
Subject: In Tank Water Softener?

I live in Florida which has very hard water. I currently filter my water through a sink attached water filter.  Should I also be using an in-tank water softener (on a CC1 which will be here on Friday)?

If so, should I get one like this?
Click Here (www.seattlecoffeegear.com)

Also, how often is descaling recommended for an area with hard water. I have read as seldom as 6 months and as often as monthly.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 8:48pm
Subject: Re: In Tank Water Softener?

I descale every 6 months with dezcal, and backflush with cafiza monthly (along with a blank flush every other day or so). Should be fine doing that and water softner in the tank, gotta love FL limestone lol.
CWirth

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 8:55pm

CMIN Said:

I descale every 6 months with dezcal, and backflush with cafiza monthly (along with a blank flush every other day or so). Should be fine doing that and water softner in the tank, gotta love FL limestone lol.

Posted June 12, 2013 link

Would a water softener like the one I posted work? And how are you liking your CC1?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 9:21pm

Yeh should be fine, love the CC1.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 9:24pm

CWirth Said:

Would a water softener like the one I posted work? And how are you liking your CC1?

Cation filters are not recommended for coffee by the SCAA. Marshall Fuss noted that in this post on H-B.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CWirth

Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:08pm

dana_leighton Said:

Cation filters are not recommended for coffee by the SCAA. Marshall Fuss noted that in this post on H-B.

I have read through that thread twice and generally understand what they are talking about. I will only be in Florida through August when I move to Philadelphia (Water appears softer there). Would you recommend simply descaling the machine on a regular basis (how often)?

I realize that there are other methods out there as were mentioned in the thread, however, while I am willing to put some effort in, I do not want to invest a lot of money or time in a water treatment process if regular descaling will keep my machine running well.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:18pm

dana_leighton Said:

An in-tank ion exchange filter might not be SCAA approved, but it works to protect your machine from harmful scale. However, you'll have to renew the filter monthly in order to prevent bacterial growth and fungi. The use of such a filter doesn't keep you from descaling, though.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Jun 12, 2013, 10:34pm

CWirth Said:

I have read through that thread twice and generally understand what they are talking about. I will only be in Florida through August when I move to Philadelphia (Water appears softer there). Would you recommend simply descaling the machine on a regular basis (how often)?

Well, that's like trying to read tea leaves. No one can really answer that question because it has so many variables (the composition of the hardness among them). What would I recommend? probably bottled water for the next 2 months, maybe mixing RO with spring water to get TDS of 50 or so? I have 65 TDS water and descale the HX once a month, and boiler every 3 months. If you don't want to go to that expense, I think the cation softener might be fine for 2 months. I have used them and can't say I really notice any difference. You do need to recharge it with a salt solution soak once a month or maybe more frequently in very hard water I dunno.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:36am

For whatever it's worth, living in L.A., I've been using a in-tank cation softener (the one that Stefano sells) on the water that comes out of my sinkside carbon filter and don't get slime, haven't had a scale problem in the Ellimatic, and don't have slimy pucks. Plus the espresso's very tasty. So, I would guess that, as with most things, YMMV.

Which reminds me—it's time for a recharge. Guess I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight.
CWirth

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2013, 7:50am

GVDub Said:

For whatever it's worth, living in L.A., I've been using a in-tank cation softener (the one that Stefano sells) on the water that comes out of my sinkside carbon filter and don't get slime, haven't had a scale problem in the Ellimatic, and don't have slimy pucks. Plus the espresso's very tasty. So, I would guess that, as with most things, YMMV.

Which reminds me—it's time for a recharge. Guess I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight.

Posted June 13, 2013 link

Is this the one you have?:
espressocare.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&P ROD=1161090519&PNAME=In+Tank+Water+Softener
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > In Tank Water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.444605827332)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+