Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Lelit, Ascaso, or CC1
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit, Ascaso,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 7:25pm
Subject: Re: Lelit, Ascaso, or CC1

Boiler Size:

Lelit: .22 liters
Ascaso Uno: .325 liters
CC1: .5 liters

Food for thought...
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 1:41am
Subject: Re: Espresso Machine Under $600

CWirth Said:

The Lelit with PID for $599 from 1st line

Posted June 10, 2013 link

I pretty much trust anything that 1st line says. They sound very experienced and knowledgeable. For that price and for the featureset that
machine has, I'd say it's got better value than some of the other SBDU's on the market.

CWirth Said:

The crossland CC1 on sale from SGG $630

Well, in your original post, you mentioned that you make mostly straight espresso shots for yourself. Since this machine has the largest boiler
of all of the machines on the list and you mentioned you don't make a lot of milk drinks, this machine would better suit your needs.

CWirth Said:

A refurbished Ascaso Steel Uno Professional PID Espresso Machine from 1st line $599

Well, this is up to you. IMHO, I'd probably buy new rather than refurbished, but then again, I bought a refurbished Microwave back in 1998
that I'm still using today, so who knows. I'd consider this machine over a CC1 if you want more steaming power, but both the CC1 and this
machine would both be very capable in producing a great shot.

CWirth Said:

The CC1 has pre infusion and more settings

Well, Maybe I'll put this out there.. Bill Crossland is a very brilliant engineer and he's passionate about espresso. (At least from what I've
read from his posts.) So, he thought of everything when he designed that machine. If anything was designed and built to give you a great
espresso shot, it would be that machine.

I've dissed on the machine a little because I can't say I'm fond of thermoblocks for steaming. This comes from personal experience with
using Thermoblocks in a hard water environment. But since this isn't really your major focus, it really isn't a big deal. It is an excellent way to
get around the limitations of a SBDU without having to wait for steam.

I can certainly say without a doubt that If I were in your shoes, with your demands, I'd consider a CC1 first, Ascaso second and Lelit Third.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 4:45am

I've always been a fan of refurbs. They usually get a little extra attention they don't necessarily get off the assembly line. Standard 58mm PF is always nice as well. Ascaso vs. CC1? Personal preference I would say.
CWirth

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 11:14am

I ended up going with the CC1 from Chris Coffee. Thanks to everyone for the help!
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: Espresso Machine Under $600

qualin Said:

For that budget, I'd consider a Gaggia Classic.

I would also but I don't see much point in going to the high end of the SBDU range -- especially from another SBDU.  That said, the OP is moving from one to another anyway so my preferences aren't relevant.

CWirth Said:

While there are not many reviews of the Infuser and Breville does not have the best reputation for quality with this community, all the reviews I have read from people who have the Infuser were positive (all the negative comments I have found were from individuals commenting on Breville's past reputation not this actual machine)

Posted June 9, 2013 link

Few of us are likely to bother with Breville so there's a bit of a catch-22 when it comes to Breville overcoming its past reputation.

CWirth Said:

I ended up going with the CC1 from Chris Coffee.

Posted June 11, 2013 link

Enjoy!  From what I saw on the tour it seems to be an easy to use machine.
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:16pm

fredk01 Said:

Boiler Size:

Lelit: .22 liters
Ascaso Uno: .325 liters
CC1: .5 liters

Food for thought...

More food for thought to add fair balance...

I do have one of the GEE prototypes here (an earlier version shipped directly from Taiwan way before Bill C started importing them). I have attached a pic of the internals (hopefully it uploads) and I do stand to be corrected if there were changes from this prototype.

Just to point out a few differences based on the GEE prototype I have here:

The GEE machine has the boiler offset from the grouphead like a Rancilio Silvia. On the GEE, the brew water exits from the top of the boiler than passes through a solenoid valve, then passes through a tube exposed to air to the grouphead. The GEE machine needs the larger boiler to compensate for the offset of the boiler as well as the stainless steel.

The Lelit and Ascaso has the boiler directly over the grouphead which in theory and my opinion provides superior thermal mass. The Lelit does have the water exit a teflon tube then re-enter a center pipe in the boiler. The Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID does not have any brew water exit and re-enter the boiler to the grouphead. The Ascaso also has a stainless steel braided hose from the pump to the boiler unlike the teflon tubes found on the other two machines.

(edit: current GEE model is stainless body)Another difference is that the GEE machine body is enamel painted steel whereas the other two machines have stainless bodies.(edit end)

So, as one can see, slightly different designs in the same price range. These are the little things, similar to metal thickness, service levels, and the like that do not come out in descriptive feature sets. I hope this helps....

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 3:24pm

CWirth Said:

I ended up going with the CC1 from Chris Coffee. Thanks to everyone for the help!

Posted June 11, 2013 link

It's a great machine, kinda stands out in it's class b/c of the larger then avg boiler and separate thermoblock for steaming (waaaay faster then the Silvia for example if you want to make a couple milk drinks). Performs great, with awesome temp stability. Remember to leave the machine on with PF lightly locked in for at least 30 min and then a quick flush, just like any other machine, boilers in all machines get up to temp quickly but you have the rest of the metal and internals that aren't warmed up yet. I use setting one for just flushes so no programing, and then turn the knob to setting 2 where I have my settings for shots done (have mine at 2 seconds pre-infusion and 4 seconds wait and no timing as I stop my shots manually, I was just using a light roasts that was hard to dial in and ended up using 3 seconds pre and 5 seconds wait). Pre-infusion is priceless.

Being your in FL, the one thing though is the thermoblock. Even if you don't use it, make sure to run it at least weekly both steam and hot water to keep it clean. Hard water can clogg up thermoblocks. I descale twice a year as well for both boiler and thermo, and monthly clean with Cafiza and usually use the blank basket every other day to do a blank backflush even though I use a brush to clean the group screen. May want to get the water softener filters like what Breville uses, as well as others add, I know SCG carries them and pry can find them on Amazon or Ebay.

Really the only thing I don't like about the machine is the double spouts on the PF, the type that can over shoot your shot glasses if not dialed down right or sometimes pour right on the edges lol. but that goes for basically any machine that comes with this type vs the nice rounded ones that come on machines costing thousands.
CWirth

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 3:32pm

Thank you for the advice. I should be making at least one milk based drink a week so that shokd help solve that issue. And I will be attending the University of Pennsylvania's Law School starting in August (not sure how the water is there but it can't have more limestone than Florida).

I am looking forward to trying out the preinfusion on this machine as well. It should be here on Friday!

If I use water softener tablets / filters should I place them directly in the water tank?

If anyone has other tips regarding the CC1 or recommendations on the best coffee roasters in Philly (I know there are quite a few) please let me know.

Thank you again for all the advice.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 5:12pm

yeh they just drop in the water tank. The machine may seem a little confusing at first for people not used to the options, but for example you want to steam you turn the knob to steam and press it and wait, then it'll let you know when steaming is ready. I usually have mine set to 201 degrees on the PID. Some beans I've played with the temp and seen differences but overall seem to prefer that temp for beans I use. I got a group head/screen brush cheap on Ebay, think it was like $5, lasted a year now lol. I use a Brita Filter too filled from the Fridge filtered water, and usually add to the tank every other day or so and then clean the tank once sometimes twice weekly since like leaving a bottle of water open, tanks on espresso machines can start to develop that stale smell if you know what I mean.

It comes with a surprisingly nice tamper too, plastic, but nicer and weighted then the cheap flimsy ones other machines sometimes come with. Don't be frustrated at first, you'll pry find yourself playing around with the grind like crazy dialing in, goes for any non-pressurized PF machine but the results will be well worth it. Along with getting your tamp down etc, I think it took me like a month to get the hang of it especially with tamping vs my previous machine which was a Delonghi Bar32 lol. I bought mine used actually (was looking to buy a new CC1 anyway) when the previous owner upgraded to a Rocket, I have the naked portafilter but can't remember if they come with that or not (or if it has to be bought separate).

If you have a digi scale (if you don't get one, I got a cheap one on amazon for $10) that measures to .1g, you can single dose the Preciso pretty accurately. And I've found the CC1 seems to prefer doses between 15-18g, I'm usually somewhere in the 16g range for a double.

I don't know about Philly roasters off hand, but there are tons all around if you Google. I usually buy 2lbs at a time and break down into zip bags inside Ball sealed canning jars and freeze them right after delivery and then pull out to defrost as needed.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Lelit, Ascaso,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.511907100677)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+