Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Marzocco machine help
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Marzocco...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
TheGreatKrok

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 6:29pm
Subject: Re: La Marzocco machine help

@Qualin: I'd like to say I communicate with my team mates about that stuff. But we don't weigh the shots, or even know what is a good weight. Most of them have worked here a year or more, but because there's never really been a solid training program, they just go off what they already know and what they've drilled.
I talked to some personnel from head office about training and some other stuff. So I'm going to keep doing what I can to improve the place.
Another question here, my espresso if giving me a 24ish second shot, bit about 3 oz of espresso. Is it the grind? I'm on a full auto machine, so I'm not firing it manually. From what I can tell with my limited knowledge, the shot turns blond very fast, but pours to much liquid. I'm not sure what I can do to fix this.
I found out what probably was the problem with the short shots though, we deduced that the grinder is probably at fault. So we switched the hopper (there's two grinding heads) and now I've run into the problem above after fiddling with the grinder to get a semi decent shot.
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:27am
Subject: Re: La Marzocco machine help

OK, I'm going to step out seriously here and say that I am not a professional barista. I've never been behind a counter before and
I don't feel that I'm qualified enough to give a professional barista advice, even an untrained one. Everything I say below or have said
in this thread, please take with a grain of salt. I'm only trying to help. I'm only in this as a hobby, one which I'm taking quite seriously.

I want to emphasize that whatever your shop does, follow their protocols. If you pick up advice here, consult with your team mates and
with your manager before you start messing with things. I can't be held liable if you get disciplined or fired because you weren't following
company policies or procedures.

The advice I'm giving you, if at all, is from someone who has been in this hobby for about a year and who is still learning himself. I pull
about 1-3 shots a day on my machine, whereas any professional barista does hundreds. They get more experience in a day than I would
in a month. I'd like to emphasize that considerably.

I'm going to say this again, I'm not an expert and I don't mean to pretend like I'm one. I'm only relaying what I know.

TheGreatKrok Said:

my espresso if giving me a 24ish second shot, bit about 3 oz of espresso. Is it the grind?

Posted June 10, 2013 link

Either grind or dosage. Grind is too coarse or dose isn't enough. Again, adjust dosage first, grind later. If you
cut short the shot on the machine, how much time does it take to pull a 2 oz shot?

TheGreatKrok Said:

I'm on a full auto machine, so I'm not firing it manually.

On any automatic machine, you can always cut the shot short or resume it. The purpose of volumetric dosing is to allow the
machine to measure out a fixed quantity while you go do other things. Do not attempt to program the doses without consulting
with your manager and your other team mates first! It was probably set that way for a reason.

TheGreatKrok Said:

the shot turns blond very fast, but pours to much liquid.

When a shot blonds, it means that the coffee has given everything it's got and now it's going to be putting bitter coffee in the cup.
That's usually a good indicator as to when to stop the shot. However, in your situation, since you can't measure input and output weight,
you should be using volume over time as a quick way to determine whether the shot is good.

There isn't any hard and fast rules that say the shot has to be 2 oz in exactly 25 seconds. You have to use your professional judgement
as a barista to determine which shot parameters best suit the beans you are working with.

With your managers permission, take the time to learn what an over-extracted and an under-extracted shot tastes like. The easiest way
to do this is to deliberately overdose and to underdose the shot. Aim for a 40 second shot and aim for a 15 second shot and taste the two.
An over-extracted shot will have almost a burnt flavor or "Rubber hose" like flavor or taste extremely intense. An under-extracted shot will
taste very citrus-like. Kind of hard to explain. When you extract properly, all of the flavors of the coffee will break through the citrus flavor
and drown it out without any of that burnt flavor coming through.

In saying that, if everyone is ordering large lattes loaded down with sugar or syrups, it's kind of a moot point. Your most discriminating
customer is going to be the one who orders straight shots or orders an Italian-style macchiato.

I'd like to emphasize this again, only adjust grind when you are absolutely 100 percent sure that adjusting dose isn't working to your
satisfaction. It is a huge commitment and if you mess with grind in the middle of a shift and there is a lineup of customers behind the
counter, you'll only end up serving them under-extracted or over-extracted shots.. that doesn't help anyone.

I'm also pretty sure your other team mates will have your head as well because if they're adjusting their doses to compensate for a
slightly coarse or fine grind and you mess with the grind, you'll trip them up as well.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Marzocco...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386068105698)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+