Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Scala Butterfly - check/one way valve question
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Scala...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
peeteemac

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 1:26pm
Subject: La Scala Butterfly - check/one way valve question

Hi,

I'm rebuilding a La Scala butterfly and lost my original photos I took when doing the dis-assembly.

Can anyone help me with the direction of the one way valves pictured here?

peeteemac: IMG_0455.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
peeteemac

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 1:28pm
Subject: Re: La Scala Butterfly - check/one way valve question

and this one....

peeteemac: IMG_0456.JPG
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 5:27pm

Water flows in the direction of the arrow.  In the first picture the arrow is easy to see, Water flows from the T fitting to the open end.  I can't see the arrow in the second, but the drawing has a downward arrow.  Is this what your're asking?
I can't tell from the pictures where the various connections lead. In most machines, one of those checks will lead away from that T fitting to the Heat Exchanger injector, the other outlet of the T fitting will be to a solenoid valve (Boiler Fill solenoid) then another check valve and into the steam boiler.
If this is obvious and not what you were asking, sorry.
peeteemac

Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 9:42pm

Okay, here is the current state of affairs...Im a little stuck :0/

Apologies for the small pic

This is as much as I can do without the pics that I lost on a crashed hard drive.

Roughly left to right

Valve 1 - Flow heading in the direction of the arrow
Valve 2 - Flowing in the same direction
3 - Output/overflow back to the tank?
4 - From left hand side of pump. Is this output?
5 - From right hand side of pump. Is this input from the tank?
6 - Where does that join?

This butterfly was plumbed but Im going to have it temporarily setup with a tank until I get into my new place.

Thanks

peeteemac: butterfly plumb small.jpg
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 3:52am

Yes. Your in from tank is the right side of the pump. The hose with the blue plastic valve on it.
Your "out from pump" hose that is currently not connected should be connected to a T fitting. The other 2 ports of that T fitting will be the check valves with arrows flowing AWAY FROM the pump's connection.
The flowing away connection with the solenoid valve in it (Electrical valve) is the boiler fill and goes to a fitting to fill the steam (Larger portion) area of the boiler.  The other outlet from the T will need to connect to the Heat Exchanger inlet injector. That's that large brassy connection that hangs lowest from the boiler in the left side of the picture. There will be another T on this section of plumbing that that large brass hexagonal thing is connected to. That's your relief valve.
SStones
SStones

Posted Mon Jun 10, 2013, 3:56am

The more I look at that picture, the more I believe that both of those inline check valves are installed backwards. This is only based on what I imagine I am seeing in this picture, I might be wrong.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Scala...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374132871628)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+