Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio Silvia vs. Gaggia Classic
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
faster

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia-PID
Grinder: Rossi RR45
Roaster: Homemade drum roaster
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 1:02am
Subject: Rancilio Silvia vs. Gaggia Classic

Can somebody tell me if the price difference between the 2 machines is justified?
What makes the Silvia so much better?
My present machine is dying and out of many machines I found (here and cafe forums), these 2 seem most popular for serious espresso drinkers.

Just a short description/difference will suffice, I am not sure if I should get a second hand Silvia, or just get the Classic?
(I know then I got to get a grinder...)

Alternatively are there other machines of this quality price range?

Thanx for your time
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 1:51am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia vs. Gaggia Classic

There are several reasons why the Rancilio Silvia is more expensive than the Gaggia Classic:
  • bigger boiler (0.33 vs. 0.1 liter)
  • brass vs. aluminium boiler
  • commercial steam wand vs. panarello
  • heavier (14 vs. 8 kg)
  • better manufacturing quality

All of this results in a higher resale value, too.

However, considering that other machines in that price range nowadays offer more features, the Silvia seems overpriced. Both are SBDUs, so it'll largely depend on your needs, whether or not you might get happy with any of them. In order to give you good advise on alternatives, you should give us some information first:

1) What kind of drinks do you want to brew?
2) How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time?
3) How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making per day/week?
4) What is your budget for a new machine? Does that also include a grinder? If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
faster

Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 3:41am

NobbyR Said:

There are several reasons why the Rancilio Silvia is more expensive than the Gaggia Classic:
bigger boiler (0.33 vs. 0.1 liter)
brass vs. aluminium boiler
commercial steam wand vs. panarello
heavier (14 vs. 8 kg)
better manufacturing quality

All of this results in a higher resale value, too.

However, considering that other machines in that price range nowadays offer more features, the Silvia seems overpriced. Both are SBDUs, so it'll largely depend on your needs, whether or not you might get happy with any of them. In order to give you good advise on alternatives, you should give us some information first:

1) What kind of drinks do you want to brew?
2) How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time?
3) How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making per day/week?
4) What is your budget for a new machine? Does that also include a grinder? If not, what is your budget for a grinder?

Posted June 8, 2013 link

Thanks for reply, exactly what I wanted to know:-).

1) I like espresso, that's all I use espresso machine for, could be one without a steamer.
2) usually 2-3 doubles/singles at a time
3) I make about 4-10 espressos per day
4)350 euros and here's the twist: I found R-Silvia 18 months old, that comes with Rossi RR45 grinder. The grinder has no hopper and was modified to portionless you put beans into a hole handful at a time.   (I found new set of grinder burrs for it $45, if it needed them)

Now...(please don't laugh), I am starting to feel guilty wanting to get this rig, spending 350 euros (about $460)... will I be able to justify the cost versus results? I am replacing an old Delonghi EC155 espresso machine, (using with it supermarket quality ground vac/pac beans)...

You know what I mean? I think it is a super deal and he's basically giving the grinder for free, so even if I get a used G-classic for 150 euros and grinder for 100-150e, There is 50-100 euros difference...And now beans will cost more, than mediocre ground coffee (eventually I want to roast my own, I've done it before-loved it).
On the positive side if I can make great espresso for my wife, friends and myself where results justify the cost...then everything is the best of all possible worlds...
Now you can see my dilemma...lol
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 3:46am

Having to choose between the Silvia and the Classic, I'd always opt for the Silvia, and I'd always equip it with a PID.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 9:40am

Either machine should be fine depending on what your budget.  In US, a new Classic is about $399 shipped and occasionally $375 and even $350.  Silvia about $640.  I use a Gaggia Classic and it works great.  I have a PID and multiple shots are not a problem.  All SBDU type machines suffer a bit time wise switching from steaming back to brew.  The small boiler and high power of the Classic can work to its favor.  The thread below explains that, and "how to" PID.  The PID can add heat during brew, help stop intrashot drop, and have the machine ready for the next brew more quickly.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

Intrashot stability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

If I got either machine at about the same price then probably Silvia as NobbyR stated.  At the usual Silvia price there other machines to consider, but that is based on US price, and machine and parts availability.  At $600 to $700 the used market is good for various machines here making Silvia less recommended.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
faster

Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 2:45pm

Thank you for your input

I decided to go with the  Rancillio Silvia and Rossi RR45 grinder...that I got for $460:-)

Silvia is V.3 18 months old.
I found the replacement burrs for $45 and will get them as they are getting harder to find.

Cheers
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 3:36pm

I find the silivia to be very outdated for it's price and a very finicky machine. You can PID a gaggia before you even get to the price of the PIDless Silvia.

Since you did get a silvia, I recommend putting a PID on it ASAP. temp surfing is fun only so long.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Jun 8, 2013, 6:12pm

faster Said:

I decided to go with the  Rancillio Silvia and Rossi RR45 grinder...that I got for $460:-)  

Posted June 8, 2013 link

That sounds like a good deal, enjoy :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 1:33am

faster Said:

I decided to go with the  Rancillio Silvia and Rossi RR45 grinder.

Posted June 8, 2013 link

Congrats! Have fun with your new set-up.

faster

Posted Sun Jun 9, 2013, 7:29am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia...bit disappointed, help please

So I just came back with the Suilvia, set it all up made a few cups and I am bummed out, it seems to make worse espresso than Delonghi ec155...

Is it possible?!?!

What I am NOT getting is a nice foam, (crema), coffee seems too watery, less foam than my old machine.

I ground beans on pretty fine setting, 14 grams per double, water runs out normally (maybe too quickly?)  and when I finish, inside the basket is water on top of coffee grounds?
Why aren't the grounds dry? All the water pushed out? Is that normal?

The grinder is old, RR45- how long does it take you guys to grind a 14 gram portion? The grinder has no hopper, so I put a handful of beans at a time, and they jump around, because there is no "weight" on them...Wouldn't it be better if there were beans pushing on beans, or does it matter?...

So what's going on, what am I doing wrong? Should I clean it/descale?

TIA
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.449952840805)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+