Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Saeco 2000 home espresso machine - info needed
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco 2000 home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
dex138
dex138
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario...
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:07am
Subject: Saeco 2000 home espresso machine - info needed

Hello everyone!  I'm fairly new to this whole espresso culture, and to coffeegeek.com.  The info accumulated here is staggering, and has been very helpful in answering many of my questions in my quest for that perfect shot.  Thank you.

Just found this listing in the local CL - http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/app/3835312986.html

A google search has produced absolutely nothing about this machine.  Anyone have any info at all? Age? Reliablility? Portafilter size and type?  Maybe a pdf of a manual?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
Dexter
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:32am
Subject: Re: Saeco 2000 home espresso machine - info needed

Quick Google search results:
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/477114
dex138
dex138

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:44am

Hi takeshi.  

I have already seen this thread, and unfortunately, the machine in question is not a saeco BAR 2000, but just a SAECO 2000.  If you compare the photos you will see that they are totally different machines.

Thanks for your quick reply though, and I appreciate your efforts.

Cheers!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:52am

It is a basic SBDU machine, other than that, all we can do is the same as you, a google search to see what turns up. Often we are able to put the pieces into a logical answer but sometimes we strike out as well with info.

What are your concerns? If it gets hot (proper temp) and pulls shots, that is about all you can ask of the machine. I would GUESS it is a pressurized PF   based on the shape of it.

UPMTEEN bar pressure is advertising hype, brewing is at 9  bar, and should be regulated to that pressure. If it is not then you have too much pressure to brew properly.

An educated guess is that it is the same one in the link above but with a updated case and look.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Barlow

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Oscar
Grinder: Hand Grinders
Vac Pot: TCA 2/3
Roaster: Heat Gun
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:22pm

Hi Dexter, I would agree that the machine is a SBDU older Saeco with 53 mm portafilter and possibly a 6 ounce brass boiler.  I believe that you can pull some nice espresso shots with this machine.  Milk drinks will be more difficult.  It looks to be in nice condition, however, the price might be a little high.  I have seen these sell on Ebay at the $50 level.  If you have specific questions, I will try to respond.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:58pm

I recognize that portafilter - it (and the basket shown in the photo included in the old link) is identical to the brass portafilter included with a Krups 882 espresso machine. This also fits my Starbucks Proteo Grande. The Proteo Grande was made by Ferrari (not the car company) and specs out similar to that Saeco 2000 - brass boiler, straight pipe steam wand, and 53mm brass portafilter.

Neither of these machines I have cost a 10th of what the listing asks for and even if I got a decent deal neither would be worth more than $30 - might be stretching it really. That said, the Proteo Grande (and to a lesser extent the Krups too) will make a decent shot once the temp surf part is mastered.

Also worth noting, I bet parts are getting harder to find for these older machines and the Saeco 2000 too...

EricBNC: CG group.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
dex138
dex138

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 3:11pm

Thanks to everyone for all their input, very informative.  

So, a couple more questions....

Is it a pressureized portafilter?  If so, can is be modded out?  

Barlow, you mentioned that milk drinks would be more difficult.  Is that due to a poor wand, or just poor steaming capabilities?

As a point of referance, I am presently using a DeLonghi Bar 140 to make a latte or 2 a day.  I can sometimes get lucky and score a pretty decent shot, and can get fairly decent steamed milk,  sometimes with microfoam, again, if I'm lucky.  Not a bad machine for the $25 it cost me, but the consistancy just isn't there, even with temp surfing, proper grind, and tamping. It has a very small (42 mm) unpressurized portafilter that utilizes an "Automatic Coffee Press" disc, and the largest filter only holds about 11 grams of coffee.

And yes, reliability on the Saeco is also a concern, as it was mentioned that parts supply could be a problem.

I'm just trying to find a decent upgrade on a small budget (really not sure yet if I really wanna go all out on this espresso making lifestyle...  ;) ..), and was wondering if this Saeco might be it.  Or am I better off just staying with what I have?
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 5:42pm

Based on the number of switches (3) it has, it is a very simple SBDU with out a three-way valve. The bottom of the boiler has just a spring-loaded check valve to make steaming possible. It is one of the better disposable machines, maybe worth a couple hundred dollars new. With the pump and boiler being old and used, I would advise against spending $150 on it as it will probably soon cost you at least $45 for a new pump.  If it were in like new condition, the original owner wouldn't be getting rid of it.  Just my two cents. It could be in great shape and worth almost $150, but gambling on little/disposable machines means that if the boiler leaks next week or the pump is on its way out, it is worth nothing.  The $150 investment + $45 for a pump, plus your time or $75 for a technician's time is more than the cost of a new disposable.
I could be wrong, it could be in great shape but it's a heck of an ante for a gamble.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 3:10am

dex138 Said:

Thanks to everyone for all their input, very informative.  

So, a couple more questions....

Is it a pressureized portafilter?  If so, can is be modded out?

Posted May 29, 2013 link

No, it is unpressurized.

dex138 Said:

Barlow, you mentioned that milk drinks would be more difficult.  Is that due to a poor wand, or just poor steaming capabilities?

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Not Barlow, but it should steam as good as your Bar 140, maybe a little better.

dex138 Said:

As a point of referance, I am presently using a DeLonghi Bar 140 to make a latte or 2 a day.  I can sometimes get lucky and score a pretty decent shot, and can get fairly decent steamed milk,  sometimes with microfoam, again, if I'm lucky.  Not a bad machine for the $25 it cost me, but the consistancy just isn't there, even with temp surfing, proper grind, and tamping. It has a very small (42 mm) unpressurized portafilter that utilizes an "Automatic Coffee Press" disc, and the largest filter only holds about 11 grams of coffee.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

I can get 13 grams in this (same as Saeco 2000) basket - any more and I see shower screen impressions on the puck. Not much more than your current machine.

dex138 Said:

I'm just trying to find a decent upgrade on a small budget (really not sure yet if I really wanna go all out on this espresso making lifestyle...  ;) ..), and was wondering if this Saeco might be it.  Or am I better off just staying with what I have?

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Keep using the Bar 140 unless the seller will take $40 or less. If not, then keep looking...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 6:58am

I think I would wait on this one.  I think you can get a refurbished Saeco Aroma (essentially the updated version of the machine pictured) for about $160.  This machine is in the class with Saeco Aroma, Saeco Via Venezia, Starbucks Barista etc.  They usually go for $40-$100 used.

BillC
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Saeco 2000 home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445695877075)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+