Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 124 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 6:09pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

SStones Said:

The valve you have open in the picture is the safety relief.  If that circle on a square piece isn't falling out, it is only because it has become stuck there in time.  If you wiggle a screw dirver in beside it, it will fall out.  Normally the spring is what's holding it in.

If it is stuck closed, even with the spring out, I have to doubt that it was the side that was leaking. You might want to just put it back together and check the narrower side of that valve. That narrower side is the breather (Vacuum breaker) valve.
NOTE: Be careful opening that breathervalve side.  The little spring is nearly invisible once it gets away. Unscrew the valve slowly over a tea-towel with the fingertips doing the unscrewing also blocking the spring inside from escaping.

Once you have that melted elbow replaced, you might want to check for the leak with the boiler hot.  By pinching the hoses, you can listen for a change to hear which side is leaking.

Posted January 1, 2014 link

Thanks for the reply.

Darn. I studied the drawings and was certain I had the correct side :( I really did not want to tinker with the safety valve. Do you normally use teflon tape on the brass threads for parts like these when re-assembling?

I will see about getting the other side open. Looks like I need to hit Jim up for some parts.
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2014, 10:03pm

A tiny bit of teflon tape on that tiny little thread isn't going to hurt anything, but the truth is that there's never any water in that "Safety" side of things unless something's going wrong, so it probably isn't going to be dripping on stuff.

You may be fine without new parts, a little cleaning, make sure there's no calcium interfering with the breather side, reassemble and test.  If it works, you can wait on the parts order. (Though having spares for the things that will eventually fail can't hurt).
Good luck and have a happy 2014
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 7:43am

Thank you. Happy New Year as well..
I can see straight through the portion of the vacuum breaker valve that unscrews from the manifold, so I assume that means the valve is sick open. I will try soaking the whole thing in vinegar overnight.
r_g

Espresso: La Nuova Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:09pm

I've had the original cuadra for about a year and today, when I was doing a descaling, it just shut down. It's plugged into a GFI and when i plug it in, it trips the GFI immediately (without even turning switch on). I first thought it might be the GFI that's not working so i plugged it in to a regular outlet and that burned the fuse. Luckily, i had a replacement fuse sitting around so i put that in but it's still not turning on and tripping the GFI immediately. I'm assuming there is a short somewhere inside the machine. Any ideas on what it could be and what i can check?
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 9:34am

r_g Said:

I've had the original cuadra for about a year and today, when I was doing a descaling, it just shut down. It's plugged into a GFI and when i plug it in, it trips the GFI immediately (without even turning switch on). I first thought it might be the GFI that's not working so i plugged it in to a regular outlet and that burned the fuse. Luckily, i had a replacement fuse sitting around so i put that in but it's still not turning on and tripping the GFI immediately. I'm assuming there is a short somewhere inside the machine. Any ideas on what it could be and what i can check?

Posted January 26, 2014 link

Check the inside for any water leaks. Test the heating element for any short with a multimeter. If you do not know how to use a multimeter, it is best to have a professional check it.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
r_g

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 9:48pm

Thanks Jim. I'm fairly handy with a multimeter but not familiar with the machine at all. I'm attaching a photo to verify if that's the heating element - the two electrodes sticking out. Is that correct?
If I put my multimeter across the two nodes, there is no resistance so it is a short. Is there supposed to be resistance?

r_g: heatingelement.JPG
(Click for larger image)
SStones
SStones

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 4:53am

That's correct.  Those two terminals with the little brass nuts holding the wire-eyelets are the two ends of your element.
If you measure resistance from one terminal to the other you''ll get between 11 and 15 ohms.
Also measure for a short to ground. Set your multimeter to the highest range of resistance measurement (20M or whatever it is capable of) and measure from the bare copper boiler-wall to each of the terminals in turn. If you get any measurement other than "No conductivity" (Probably a 1 at the left of the display, same as when the probes aren't touching anything), then you have a short to ground.
If you have a short to ground, you can verify that it is the element itself by removing the eyelet connections and checking for a short to ground. If you still have a short with the rest of the machine no longer connected to the element, then it has to be the element itself.
I did read your statement that you're fairly handy with a multimeter, I am not writing this to insult you, I am just not stopping once I got started and this may help other readers that come across it when searching for included keywords.
Good luck.
r_g

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 8:28am

Thanks a lot for the details - don't worry about being too detailed. I really appreciate the hlep and yes, this becomes a resource for the future.

I get 13 ohms between the two terminals and infinite (no conductivity) between the wall to each terminal. Does that mean the  heating element is fine and my problem is something else?

Any other ideas on what to test?
SStones
SStones

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 7:02pm

Sounds like your element is fine. If you can't get conductivity at 20M Ohms sensitivity, it's not shorting...  So, we have to suspect something else is tripping the GFI.  Is there an obvious leak? Calcium stains at the boiler inlet?(Where the braided hose connects, right above the boiler fill valve). If that's leaking over the valve, maybe the valve's electrical connection is damp and shorting to ground. Anything obvious? burnt connectors?
Sorry, I'm just guessing, now. What we're seeing is that you have no short (That the multi meter can detect) when the machine is at rest.  But, when the machine is on, the pump and boiler fill solenoid are powered up and suspects.
Can you find a short to ground (With the machine unplugged) between ANY live connector (Red or brown wire) and ground (Boiler wall)?
If yes, unplug that connector and recheck to see if it's the component or the wire. Keep looking if it's something else on the wiring, or find out why the component has a short if it's the component.  (Is this making sense?)
r_g

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 7:13pm

The GFI trips even with the power switch (the front black one) off as soon as i plug in the cord. That is making me suspect the weight sensor that i think comes before the switch in the circuit. Does that sound right or possible? How would i test that?
showing page 124 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400369882584)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+