Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 108 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 11:13pm
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

Carlitovich Said:

My water is hard.  I know that.  Machine comes with water softener hose insert no?  I will be descaling on the 'more often' side of the spectrum. I'll go through thread again to piece together maintenance regime...

Grinder is Rocky.  Had it maybe 10ish years. How do I know when its time to replace burrs?  

Cheers!

Posted May 26, 2013 link

Charles

Heres more on the water Im running.Test from the water after its sat in the pitcher I showed you with the BILT Osmotic treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5miwLtRb4

Click Here (www.youtube.com)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 4:18am

slybarman Said:

I think it was because you (intentionally or unintentionally) suggested Jim was misleading or giving bad advice to his customers. It may not have been your intent, but did not come across friendly. My experience as a customer is that Jim has tried to resolve any issues I have had.

Posted May 26, 2013 link

I see, and I can appreciate that. I mean no offense, Jim.
My "Wait No! Not normal" is directed at Kajitox and is to catch the original poster's attention and focus his attention on confirming his problem. It is not me shouting at you, or at any of the posters who are here offering advice.
This forum stands as a great body of proof that Jim and 1st-line are indeed operating a honorable business. Any disagreements between forum members should only benefit the readers. A differing opinion does not mean that either is incorrect. "Sorry" to anyone who thinks I'm trying to shout down other posters. All replies are valuable in these forums. People have these machines, they need help with them, we have the opportunity to provide that help.

But back to what's more important.  Kajitox?  How's the machine? Have you verified that it is indeed leaking over the breather and not the safety? (The breather is the narrower side of that multivalve). Have you decided to try to clean it up, any luck?
 View Profile Link to this post
Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 11:34am

Iluvdabean Said:

Charles

Heres more on the water Im running.Test from the water after its sat in the pitcher I showed you with the BILT Osmotic treatment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg5miwLtRb4

Click Here (www.youtube.com)

Posted May 26, 2013 link

Thanks.  I'll certainly check hardness.  I don't expect I'll be buying water, but I will try to follow best practices when it comes to additional softeners, descaling, etc.
pfn

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 3:44pm

slybarman Said:

Pulled the shower screen after a year. Was kinda cruddy despite backflushing with detergent, etc.

Posted February 3, 2013 link

How'd you pull the screen off? I couldn't find any easy way of doing.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 3:47pm

pfn Said:

How'd you pull the screen off? I couldn't find any easy way of doing.

Posted May 27, 2013 link

Used a paint can opening tool.
pfn

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: KA Proline w/ Mazzer Mini...
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 4:24pm

slybarman Said:

Used a paint can opening tool.

Posted May 27, 2013 link

What did you pry off? the gasket? from the outer edge? the mesh screen? on the inside of the gasket?
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 4:36pm

pfn Said:

What did you pry off? the gasket? from the outer edge? the mesh screen? on the inside of the gasket?

Posted May 27, 2013 link

I forget which I was able to grab onto, but I think it was the gasket. The screen has a flange at the top. The gasket rides on that flange and holds the screen in place.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 6:29pm

Put your prying tool into the grouphead from one side, so that it's touching the side of the shower filter right at the inner edge of the gasket. Pry it down a little. Move to the other side and repeat.  The shower-screen is the bottom of a cup-shaped insert. The top edge of the cup is up at the top of your gasket, inside the group head.  When you manage to finally pry the thing out it will bring the old gasket out with it.
If it's really jammed up in there and hasn't been changed in years, it may destroy the filter, if not you can clean it and re-use it.
Don't just pry at the mesh, that will just pull the screen of of the rest of the part.
scanfield

Espresso: La Nuovo Era Cuadra
Posted Mon May 27, 2013, 7:47pm

I use the spoon method that you can see near the top of this page.

It works every time.
Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:37am

"5/28 - 4:15 pm Picked up DAYTON, NJ"
"5/29 - 7:53 am On FedEx vehicle for delivery MANCHESTER, NH"

Expecting delivery early/mid afternoon.

If they actually deliver it, and it isn't smashed all to hell, then I will be impressed.

And happy.

*edit: delivered around 4 pm.  Happy.  Well packed but small ding in stainless dead center in back panel - maybe it is deliberate? Charged softener.  Removed side panels/loosened drip tray so it doesn't screeeeeeech.

Rocky ground some stale-ish grocery store beans and pulled a modest shot.  Slightly sour but not bad.  Grinding at #3 and it was a bit fast.  Will probably need new burrs soon. Need real tamper. Wife pleased but still confused how to reorganize our small kitchen.  No room for her mixer now...  Steamer is like godzilla splattering water everywhere.  What happens when I try milk?

Internals look solid and well laid out.  Machine fits together nicely. Cheap feeling plastic on/off toggle. I think I would be slightly disappointed if this had cost $2000.  For $900 I am very pleased so far.  I am hopeful that when I get decent beans, dial in the grind, get a decent tamper, etc., that this will be a great addition to the family... (to be continued...)
showing page 108 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.536285161972)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+