Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 12 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 12:22pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

I think the issue about whether both boilers can be heated at the same time is less important in real life than some would believe.

I have a single group 230v double boiler machine with 2 identical fairly small 1.4 litre boilers for brewing and for steam.  They both have 1.8kw heaters. The machine will not let you brew and steam at the same time, partly because the hydraulic design doesn't support it, but also because any need to heat both boilers at the same time would exceed the current draw allowed through domestic plugs in some European countries, and you'd have to have a fixed wired connection instead. (When you steam, the steam boiler heater is automatically energised immediately).  The brew buttons lock out the steam/hot water buttons and vice-versa.  In reality there is no issue about recovery times in either boiler.  

It sounds on the face of it like a real inconvenience, but I agree with DavecUK when he says "The compromise would be that you don't steam milk while pulling a shot....but people don't anyway, in case it makes the autofill kick in, which of course then ruins the shot. People usually steam before or after the shot."

Certainly applies in my case, and I don't find it an issue.  Would be different if it were multi-group, but then you'd expect the design to have much larger boilers, more powerful heaters, and not capable of  running from a domestic power outlet.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 1:29pm

I steam and brew at the same time, did on a HX and do on my DB. I am still running my Duetto in the 15amp mode, it isn't bad for one or two small milk based drinks but when trying to do multiple 16oz pitchers of milk for 4 triple lattes the machine is very challenged. The brew boiler takes precedent and is also fed from the brew steam boiler I believe, this means it is best to brew first then steam so the steam boiler gets some wattage. The brew boiler hits some major overshoots during recovery and I may still have 4 more tripples to make. Making one or two milk drinks back to back is fine though. When I have set it up in 20 amp and the steam and brew boiler can both power simultaneously and I set some new PID settings the machine keeps the brew boiler with a tight +\- 1f and has great steam for back to back big pitchers.
tdifraia

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM67
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Bunn
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 2:13pm

Just an update on my QM 67. It is now 3 months later and I am still extremely pleased with the machine. It consistently performs for us day in and day out. So far zero problems. There are five of us so my ritual is to make 4 lattes, all doubles and a double shot for me. I never have to wait, but I always do the milk first and then pull the shot. I really love this machine and so far so good with reliability. I average 10 shots a day. I couple the QM67 with a Baratza vario grinder and cant say I regret the purchases one bit.
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:41am

The Vetrano 2B is looking better & better!  If Chris @ CCS gets them in, I am first in line to purchase one!  Let's home he chimes in here soon with an update . . . !!
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:45am

sharky Said:

The Vetrano 2B is looking better & better!  If Chris @ CCS gets them in, I am first in line to purchase one!  Let's home he chimes in here soon with an update . . . !!

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Yes, but he didnt even receive the machine yet.
sharky
sharky

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 6:31am

cuznvin Said:

Yes, but he didnt even receive the machine yet.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Well, let's hope they send him one soon so he realizes what a great machine it is & starts bringing them over!
DavecUK

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 6:49pm

I'm just waiting to get a revised component, retrofit it and see if it brings further improvement...hence not finished review yet. To be honest, it's great without the revised component, but I have to see it, to ensure nothing is being made worse and it is actually an improvement.

It is a great machine though.
cuznvin

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 6:51pm

DavecUK Said:

I'm just waiting to get a revised component, retrofit it and see if it brings further improvement...hence not finished review yet. To be honest, it's great without the revised component, but I have to see it, to ensure nothing is being made worse and it is actually an improvement.

It is a great machine though.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Thanks.. Now if they can only get a machine to CCS!
pennywise

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B, Saeco...
Grinder: Vario W
Drip: Keurig
Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 1:56pm

Hi all, new member here.  I've been lurking for a couple of years now reading all the great, informative posts and finally joined after just reading this thread.  And, Dave, love your in-depth reviews; really looking forward to pouring over this one!
I've been researching semi-autos for a long time trying to find something that seems like the right fit for me.  I bought the BDB a few months after it was released here in America, but it leaked like a sieve so I returned it.  I also didn't particularly like the fit and finish.  Yes, I admit it, I'm shallow that way; but if it's going to be sitting on my kitchen counter for years, I want to be able to love not just how well it performs but also how great it looks.  
I very nearly purchased a QM67 recently but just couldn't quite seem to pull the trigger.  I even made the trek down to Seattle Coffee Gear a couple of times to check it out.  
While further researching the QM67 a while ago, I ran across the Vetrano 2B on the Quick Mill site and called Chris' Coffee Service to inquire about both it and the Aquila model.  I was sorely disappointed to hear that CCS wouldn't be carrying either one so I can't tell you how excited I was to run across this thread for the first time this morning.
So, Chris, if you can get all the details worked out to your satisfaction, count me in as definitely being interested.
Many thanks for all the great info, everyone!
sharky
sharky

Posted Fri May 31, 2013, 8:40pm

I would agree!  I am using the Silvia w/PID but I will sell it immediately when the Vetrano 2B becomes available.  The QM 67 is nice, but pales in comparison to the 2B.   The Vetrano is a beautiful looking machine, it checks off every box on my want list, it's the perfect size, and it's manufactured by a well respected & reliable company!  IMHO, once this machine hits the market, it will sell like hotcakes!  What's not to like about it . . . .??  So c'mon Chris, let's get this machine over here for us and start selling them!
showing page 12 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.38699889183)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+