Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
No crema
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > No crema  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Driftless

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:18am
Subject: No crema

Hello fellow java-ites,

After years of using a steam activated espresso machine I finally bought a DeLonghi BAR32 from a coworker. She didn't have the manual but I found it online and pulled my first few espressos and a beautiful latte for my wife. The first cups I pulled had OK crema and now I can get none. I have tried tighter packing, looser packing, less coffee, more coffee... no avail.

I am using a home roasted (Hottop roaster) Sumatra that is roasted to a nice oily full French roast. I have read that a fresh coffee will prevent crema, this batch has been sitting for about a week.

I have watched videos, read the online instructions, done searches... all without results. Did I get a bad machine? (She said she has *gasp* stopped drinking coffee and that is why she sold me the DeLonghi) What else can I be doing wrong? Only think I can think of is that we have really hard water but she said she used only filtered water in the DeLonghi.

I love a good espresso and I was soooo looking forward to this. I still have my Chemex, press pots, vacuum pot (fun to watch - horrid to clean), and even a percolator pot so I am not without means to make my morning brew, but I really would like to sit down and have a really nice homemade espresso!

Thanks!

Tad
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:01am
Subject: Re: No crema

A few thoughts:

1. One week old beans should be fresh enough. Try roasting a bit lighter.  I feel the oil should be released on grinding and emulsified in the crema not on the outside of the bean getting rancid.
  2. Get a better grinder. If the beans are not stale it is probably the grinder not being able to grind fine enough.
  3. Used a depressurized portafilter after you get a good grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Driftless

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 12:08pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

A few thoughts:

One week old beans should be fresh enough. Try roasting a bit lighter.  I feel the oil should be released on grinding and emulsified in the crema not on the outside of the bean getting rancid.
Get a better grinder. If the beans are not stale it is probably the grinder not being able to grind fine enough.
Used a depressurized portafilter after you get a good grinder.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

I know my grinder isn't the best (Mr. Coffee burr mill - don't yell, it was a present from my wife.) I will use my good ol' stand by Krups and try a finer grind.

Interesting thought about the beans. My beans don't stay around long enough to get rancid; a week to ten days at the most. I only roast in small batches - 250 grams of green beans at a time. I like the smoky flavor of a full roasted bean - in fact I like smoky flavors (Bourbon, BBQ, Chipotle peppers). I will do a full city + roast this weekend however, just to try.

Portafilter like a Berkley (sp)? Our water is extremely good, I refuse to use a water softener and dump salt into our trout streams, so unless the filter you are talking about can filter out hardness there is no reason for it.

Thanks for the reply... If I didn't have three double espressos trying to get one right this morning I would try again now. I will have to try tomorrow morning.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 12:58pm

I don't think Krups makes any grinder that can cut the mustard for espresso. In fact, I can't think of a single Krups product I'd recommend for anything espresso related.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Driftless

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 1:24pm

The grinder my wife gave me is falling apart after a couple of years. I have an old (25+ years old) Krups blade grinder that has never failed me. I and grind to a pretty fine powder if I want.

I haven't read any good reviews on any of the Krups burr grinders.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 1:26pm

Driftless Said:

I will use my good ol' stand by Krups and try a finer grind.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Good luck with that. The issue is not that the coffee needs to be ground finer. You need a bimodal distribution of particles with tight, uniform peaks, one at a relatively coarser grind, and one at a relatively fine grind. The consistently sized larger particles provide for optimal extraction, the finer particles provide resistance. Grinding finer simply increases the resistance, and risks over extraction and the bitter espresso that will result.

But who knows - you might get lucky! :) Powerball is 50 million jackpot tonight. :)

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Driftless

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 2:58pm

Hey, I am learning.

But back to the no crema issue... any ideas?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:17pm

Believe it or not...we ALL recommended a better grinder for a reason...hmmmm.  Are you using pressurized or non-pressurized pf/baskets? What's the brew pressure on your machine? What is the brew temp at the group?  It's clear from your comments that you don't know what a portafilter is - so I guess we need to back up a bit. It's that thing that holds the basket of coffe bean grinds up on the group head (that's where the water comes out of the shower screen). You should read a little about pressurized and non-pressurized ones.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:31pm

After you understand that, figure out how to change your pf to the non-pressurized type.

Then...navigate your browser to www.espressomyespresso.com and read article 12 under the "how to" section. It's called Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home. It's perhaps one of the best guides out there and will surely help you.

Driftless

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 3:32pm

emradguy Said:

Believe it or not...we ALL recommended a better grinder for a reason...hmmmm.  Are you using pressurized or non-pressurized pf/baskets? What's the brew pressure on your machine? What is the brew temp at the group?  I can't see where your comment about filter, salt and streams comes from - unless you don't know what a portafilter is. If that's the case, google images will help you understand.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Ahhhhh portafilter! Now I understand! Because the woman who sold it to me was very insistent on filtered water that is where my mind was going.

From the website pump pressure is 15 bars. (218 psi? Really?)

I see nothing about temperature but I have tried preheating and not preheating. To be honest the temperature of the coffee (I can't call it espresso) doesn't seem that hot.

I believe that they are pressurized baskets.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > No crema  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.431221008301)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+