Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is CC1 the best 58mm machine under $1000?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is CC1 the best...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 3:59pm
Subject: Re: Is CC1 the best 58mm machine under $1000?

DeanOK Said:

I have to say that I think unsightly might be a little strong. I agree that is not the most aesthetically pleasing design, but I don't consider it unsightly.
Handles... yeah, they too are not the product of a creative designer, but they are functional.
I agree with the location of the steam knob... you definitely  have to leave plenty of room on the right side of the machine.
I have had a little trouble with water getting behind the drip tray, but not much. Not much of an issue with me.
At first, I found the drain line to be annoying too, but have since learned all of the tricks of getting the water tank in and out with minimum effort. I guess at this point it bothers me more that I have to remove the PF to get the tank out than the drain line does.

The bottom line is that all I really want is a good espresso... I knew I wasn't buying a machine with great lines when I bought it But I think the Vario W fits in the same category... not beautiful, but it is functional. They look good together...both of them are black and stainless. May main gripes at this point is that my steam wand occasionally drips water (much less of a problem when I started leaving the machine on all of the time), and my brew pressure is a little low. I am not above trying to figure out how to adjust the pressure regulator after it goes out of warranty. I don't know why I am worrying about warranty... at this point I have two issues that would qualify for warranty repair, but I am not interested in sending it in and messing with it at this point. I guess I am assuming it will keep working a while and I know it the back of my mind I want a "pretty" machine some day... who knows if I ever will get a pretty one!

Posted May 26, 2013 link

Unsightly is my opinion. It looks a bit like a toy and industrious. I think the same for handles. If I didn't know Bill was part of the GS3 I'd be hard pressed to believe the two machines had the same brains behind the product. I know the CC1 is based off another machine, but my point stands.

I like the "portafilter wiggle" that Mark Prince demonstrated in his Rancilio Silvia video a few years ago. Keeps the group quite clean but makes a terrible mess if your drip tray can't catch the water. I think the Quickmills have the 90 degree angle design to avoid this.

The point about the tank and drain is it doesn't necessarily have to be as it is. We live in a world with infinite possibilities, right? Why settle and adjust for the extremely awkward design? I don't want to make my coffee ritual a process of adjusting to my equipment--that just takes away from it all for me. But I understand there are some constraints with price so I guess I'm just stating the obvious.

I don't have the steam wand leak. From the invoice it looks like I'm on 10 months of ownership and so far it's the machine I've hung on to the longest. You're right in that it does what it advertises. I'm honestly no longer blaming the machine or second guessing myself. I buy beans and try them as an espresso, cappuccino, press, chemex, clever, and cold brew and just enjoy it.

I know it gets better with pressure profiling, more accurate temperatures, more precise grinders, calibrated tampers and on and on. I'll wait till i'm out of school. :-)
 View Profile Link to this post
ggcadc
ggcadc
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Virtuoso,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: All of them
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:17am

I loved my Classic for years, had two actually. Now that I have my Alexia(open box for 1k), I cant complain either. the gaggia (as well as most of those smaller machines including the CC1) suffer from mid shot temperature drops. there isnt enough material to maintain 190-205f through a whole shot. there is LOTS of data out there to support this. whereas an E61 based machine WILL have LOTS of temp stability. that is the difference your looking for. HX DB, SB, the difference with those is for steaming plain and simple. since I dont drink milk, and rarely make my wife a late, a SBDU works great for me (I actually steamed with it for the first time the other day, night and day from the gaggia).

this LN Cuadra is an HX machine that is new to me, i think the footprint of any HX would put me off.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:48am

ggcadc Said:

the gaggia (as well as most of those smaller machines including the CC1) suffer from mid shot temperature drops. there isnt enough material to maintain 190-205f through a whole shot.

Posted May 30, 2013 link

Not to hijack, but the intrashot drop does not have to occur on Gaggia, and probably on other SBDU  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluei1-IkTw

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/571792

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:19am

ggcadc Said:

... the gaggia (as well as most of those smaller machines including the CC1) suffer from mid shot temperature drops. there isnt enough material to maintain 190-205f through a whole shot. there is LOTS of data out there to support this. ...

Posted May 30, 2013 link

If there is data out there to show a meaningful temperature drop during the shot for the CC1 I would like to see it.  What little data I have seen to date shows the opposite.
Winnisk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 3:53pm

The most important thing about this machine is consistent temperatures are really precise temperature controls. For a single shot pull, this machine is rock steady on temperature - almost on par with the GS/3 in fact in side by side tests I've done with a Scace Device hooked up to it.

From Mark Prince: http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/showreports/04-08-2013
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 6:32pm

fredk01 Said:

If there is data out there to show a meaningful temperature drop during the shot for the CC1 I would like to see it.  What little data I have seen to date shows the opposite.

Posted May 30, 2013 link

Looks pretty good to me...
Click Here (10000shots.com)
Carlitovich

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 8:29pm

CMIN Said:

Excellent machine,  but best under a thousand, not sure about that. There are some nice machines right around the 1k mark, the Cuadra is just under 1k and is an h/x. At its price point though and for its class it flat out slaps its competition in specs and performance ( Classic, Silvia etc).

I love it and its shot consistancy, but I wouldn't say its the best overall under 1k.

Posted May 24, 2013 link

1st Line now has the White 006 Cuadra model for $895. That's $200 cheaper than Cuadra II with no significant differences as far as I can tell.

We just had ours delivered yesterday.  I cannot give a decent review because I have no experience with similar machines.  At this price point I think its a very fair deal.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is CC1 the best...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461880207062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+