Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 107 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
slybarman
slybarman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 5:59am
Subject: Re: La Nuova Era Cuadra Owners Thread

SStones Said:

Wait, no. Not normal!
He's saying that it's leaking over the breather after it has already fully warmed up.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

His post says, " . . . as the machine heated up."
 View Profile Link to this post
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 9:59am

SStones Said:

Wait, no. Not normal!
He's saying that it's leaking over the breather after it has already fully warmed up.
You can confirm that it has a constant steam leak through that hose by pinching that hose to stop the flow momentarily. If the hiss stops for a second when you close off its path, you have confirmed that a constant leak exists over that valve.  You can disassemble the valve to clean the parts but will want to consider purchasing a new one. Having a back-up won't hurt and there will come a time when just cleaning the little teflon disk will no-longer stop the leak.  I'm sure 1st-Line will be happy to sell you one. If they continue to suggest that it's normal for it to leak constantly, it will be up to you to decide.
As you see, that assembly has multiple functions. It has a connection for your gauge, it sits on the stem for your pressostat and the side opposite that breather valve is a safety-pressure-relief valve. I suggest not disassembling that safety-relief.  If it doesn't leak, there's no need to disturb it.
Oh, and "By the way", the other end of that tiny hose just drips into the back corner of the drip tray down that channel on the front wall of the machine.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Stephen,

As already stated, it is normal during warm up. The poster did not state 'after warm up' for which your diagnosis would apply.

If there was steam leakage after complete warm up, it could be different issues: limescale; overfilled boiler with purified/distilled water; too mush steam pressure.

On Jan 24th in this thread, I asked you which company you work for or own, and I have not seen a response. I am unsure why you are withholding this information.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Carlitovich

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra 006
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 9:16am

Thanks to everyone for a very informative thread!

1st-Line dropped the price on the white 006 another $100 so we pulled the trigger last night.  We have been thinking of upgrading for a while, and given price/performance the Cuadra looks like a pretty good bet at $900. The differences with the Cuadra II do not look significant, and this price point puts it just a bit higher than a PID'd Silvia.

Our current machine is a 2004 FFX1 that has become completely unstable.  It is a very pretty machine. There are (were) times when it can produce an excellent shot - lovely chocolaty flavors with hints of berry that make you go - WOW.  But honestly that seems to be about 1/100 shots these days.  Most often it is sour dark stuff with a thin layer of crema that dissipates in seconds and I just plug my nose and gulp... What is really crazy is that the FF people will not sell you spare parts beyond group head gaskets.  You need to mail the machine to them, wait for their bill, and hope for the best.

I see that there have been some quality issues with Cuadras, but I think any thread on any machine at any price you will see issues come up.  What is important is that the issues get resolved.  The quality concerns are also balanced against posts from contributors who have been running these machines for the last 12-18 months and are still very happy.

So, with great anticipation I say, 'Once more unto the breach...'
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 11:27am

Carlitovich Said:

Thanks to everyone for a very informative thread!

1st-Line dropped the price on the white 006 another $100 so we pulled the trigger last night.  We have been thinking of upgrading for a while, and given price/performance the Cuadra looks like a pretty good bet at $900. The differences with the Cuadra II do not look significant, and this price point puts it just a bit higher than a PID'd Silvia.

Our current machine is a 2004 FFX1 that has become completely unstable.  It is a very pretty machine. There are (were) times when it can produce an excellent shot - lovely chocolaty flavors with hints of berry that make you go - WOW.  But honestly that seems to be about 1/100 shots these days.  Most often it is sour dark stuff with a thin layer of crema that dissipates in seconds and I just plug my nose and gulp... What is really crazy is that the FF people will not sell you spare parts beyond group head gaskets.  You need to mail the machine to them, wait for their bill, and hope for the best.

I see that there have been some quality issues with Cuadras, but I think any thread on any machine at any price you will see issues come up.  What is important is that the issues get resolved.  The quality concerns are also balanced against posts from contributors who have been running these machines for the last 12-18 months and are still very happy.

So, with great anticipation I say, 'Once more unto the breach...'

Posted May 26, 2013 link

I love my machine the La Cuadra ll and have found Jim and staff at 1stLine to be also first class. Test the water you use  ( simple water test kit at petsmart )  and use what IstLine recommends for that as far as treating it. Follow their maintenance advice,after all they know the machine best. Have a good grinder ready to go if you dont have one and stand by for awesome coffee. These machines are one of the best deals going right now in my humble opinion.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 1:21pm

1stline Said:

Stephen,As already stated, it is normal during warm up. The poster did not state 'after warm up' for which your diagnosis would apply.
If there was steam leakage after complete warm up, it could be different issues: limescale; overfilled boiler with purified/distilled water; too mush steam pressure.

On Jan 24th in this thread, I asked you which company you work for or own, and I have not seen a response. I am unsure why you are withholding this information.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

His second post did, yes.  His prior post mentioned that it was after his boiler pressure reached one bar.  But you're right.

I don't see how it matters, but I don't own any company. I work for a retailer of PLCs and pneumatic valves and automation systems, currently. I still enjoy coffee despite not owning a espresso retail shop. Don't worry. I am not your competition.
Why must we get personal?  My engineering degree is not from MIT if that's your next question.
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 1:59pm

SStones Said:

Why must we get personal?

Posted May 26, 2013 link

I think it was because you (intentionally or unintentionally) suggested Jim was misleading or giving bad advice to his customers. It may not have been your intent, but did not come across friendly. My experience as a customer is that Jim has tried to resolve any issues I have had.

You seem to have a good dose of technical knowledge on the machine and there is room enough for all to participate, so let's keep it friendly and move on.
Carlitovich

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 2:36pm

Iluvdabean Said:

I love my machine the La Cuadra ll and have found Jim and staff at 1stLine to be also first class. Test the water you use  ( simple water test kit at petsmart )  and use what IstLine recommends for that as far as treating it. Follow their maintenance advice,after all they know the machine best. Have a good grinder ready to go if you dont have one and stand by for awesome coffee. These machines are one of the best deals going right now in my humble opinion.

Posted May 26, 2013 link

My water is hard.  I know that.  Machine comes with water softener hose insert no?  I will be descaling on the 'more often' side of the spectrum. I'll go through thread again to piece together maintenance regime...

Grinder is Rocky.  Had it maybe 10ish years. How do I know when its time to replace burrs?  

Cheers!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 2:56pm

Carlitovich Said:

My water is hard.  I know that.  Machine comes with water softener hose insert no?  I will be descaling on the 'more often' side of the spectrum. I'll go through thread again to piece together maintenance regime...

Grinder is Rocky.  Had it maybe 10ish years. How do I know when its time to replace burrs?  

Cheers!

Posted May 26, 2013 link

I found  Crystal Geyser Natural Alpine Spring Water to be one of the lowest I tested. Then I ordered one of the BILT Osmotic scale reduction packs and let my water sit in that. Then i also
use the Ascaso filter that goes in water reservoir. The water I buy is .99 for 1 gallon.

Click Here (www.1st-line.com)

Iluvdabean: photo.JPG
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
slybarman
slybarman

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 5:34pm

Carlitovich Said:

Cheers!

Posted May 26, 2013 link

Charles:

Sorry, I inadvertently deleted your email and could not recover it. If you shoot me your address again, I will reply.
Carlitovich

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 7:04pm

slybarman Said:

Charles:

Sorry, I inadvertently deleted your email and could not recover it. If you shoot me your address again, I will reply.

Posted May 26, 2013 link

No worries.  Hopefully I'll have machine in a few days and then I'll have more questions.

Is there any general advice you have for the 006 model?
showing page 107 of 130 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > La Nuova Era...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.49090886116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+