Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please don't laugh!
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please don't...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 11:55am
Subject: Re: Please don't laugh!

pmaru77 Said:

Can someone do a list of the most important steps in making the perfect espresso?   And what makes a perfect espresso?  My tastebuds are delicate, as I cannot stand Starbucks americana, and the espresso is not the greatest.

Bean quality, grind, water, temp, pressure, etc.

Posted May 23, 2013 link

This is a good start in "How to"

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/        12  EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 12:30pm

pmaru77 Said:

Uhhhh!  I'm getting De ja vu all over again.  I think I beat this to death 3 years ago before I bought my roaster.  I agree the Maestro Plus adjustment sucks as far as fine tuning.  I just canot get over how complicated it si to make espresso.  I'm not an experieced espresso person, in fact, the only e cup I remember being any good was when I was in Brazil.  The e from a local coffee shop is pretty bad usually. I've yet had a good cup of espresso in town.  I guess I'm not ready to commit yet until I know what it takes to satisfy.  I have to find someone/somewhere localvthat can do it right.

Can someone do a list of the most important steps in making the perfect espresso?   And what makes a perfect espresso?  My tastebuds are delicate, as I cannot stand Starbucks americana, and the espresso is not the greatest.

Bean quality, grind, water, temp, pressure, etc.

Posted May 23, 2013 link

It's really not that complicated and primarily comes down to fresh roasted beans and a capable grinder. Lot's of people buy these machines and stick with the grinder they had, i.e. someone gave my machine a scathing review, when it ends up they were using a pos $50 grinder and didn't even know how to dose or work the machine anyway lol. Espresso needs not only find grinds, but consistent ones at that and ability to adjust ever so slightly to dial in (not huge steps like cheaper grinders where your SOL). If you want an electric grinder, the best bet for around $300 or so is the Baratza Preciso at the bare minimum, the Encore that replaced the Maestro is not even near capable either, let alone the Maestro. And espresso is more picky about fresh roasted beans then any other type of coffee that's more forgiving, no fresh beans = crap shots and hard dialing in.

You don't like Charbucks b/c their espresso isn't even espresso, more like junk 10 second gusher shots from their superautos (superautos already suck for espresso) + their over charred beans have no flavor except that of a burnt log lol.

You have a ton of good places in San Diego, we were just there. Found Better Buzz Coffee (their LAB one) in Mission Beach right on Mission Blvd, excellent and also bought a bag of their Cerro Azul Honduras Better Buzz You have Bird Rock, West Bean, Dark Horse etc, just google your area for coffee roasters and you'll see. Have coffee from a place like that, especially espresso and you'll see how big the difference is vs Charbucks, night and day.
pmaru77

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: KRUPS 4 cup (Melitta #2)
Roaster: Behmor Roaster
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 7:22pm

I think my plan is to give my grinder the the wife for her decaf, she will be thrilled.....I think.  Then pick up another grinder. What is the best grinder without breaking the bank.  The Baratza Presico seems like it's borderline.  And the other Baratzas seem to gagetie with the electornics...that will probably fail soon enuf.  If the Presico is good enuf, I can surely afford that.  I roast my own beans with the Behmor, so is it a fair assessment I'll be happy with my roasted beans for espresso?  So with fresh beans, and a good grinder, then a Gaggia Classic will be ok?
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 7:46pm

Preciso is fine for espresso.  There are several Preciso threads and I do not find grind quality for espresso being an issue.  I like the refurb for the price, and Baratza has done all of the updates.  If you want to spend more, the Vario refurb is also a great choice IMO.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 9:16pm

Preciso is awesome for espresso, low grinds retention as well, couple purges and tapping and you get the gram or two retained. Other grinders can have grams upon grams retained, makes the Preciso and Vario awesome for single dosing. I have mine calibrated to fine, and am now on Macro 10 and I think G for Micro for the beans I'm using right now at 16g doses.

Preciso is def not borderline has a huge espresso range, just so happens to be about the cheapest real espresso grinder and for ease of use. Theres a refurb Vario on Baratzas site right now.

Gaggia Classic is a great starter machine, and yeh if your roasting skills have gotten good you'll love being able to have fresh roast constantly. Plenty on here roast with a Behemor. If you search on Ebay I think theres a few sellers of refurb Gaggia Classics, think wholelattelove is one. Here's one on their website Refurb Classic
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 24, 2013, 6:21am

Another option is a used Macap M4, available for a while on the BST forum for $325 (last checked yesterday).  I bought my first one when I still had a Silvia and it's performed very, very well for as long as I've had it (even after upgrading to the Duetto II about a year and a half ago).  I have a small desire to upgrade from it, but only because of a desire to see if I can reproduce what I get at the best cafes by having something of titan commercial conical quality at home (I'm pretty set on the HG one).

The M4 is built extremely well.  The wormscrew adjustment is stupid simple to use.  The doser sweeps very, very clean.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please don't...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.37445306778)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+