Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nespresso
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nespresso  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 2:20pm
Subject: Re: Nespresso

calblacksmith Said:

Harsh or not, the truth is the truth, I have had their best and again, honestly, 7-11 is better and better priced for what you get.

Thank you for reading my posts, I am however, just another person here, no better or worse than anyone else. I do have my own views and while for most of the time I take a very neutral position, I just can not endorse Starbucks, or their products. Perhaps 8 or so years ago, I did think more highly of them, I suspect that the coffee there was better than it is now but I can say for sure, since then I have learned a LOT about coffee, my likes, dislikes, how it is grown, picked, processed, stored, transported, roasted and shipped as well as being ground and brewed. My taste has grown also so while it is possible that 8 years ago, they had better coffee, I know for sure, I have grown.

If growing and becoming more informed about the product and how it is prepared makes you a snob then I guess I am one and I can say for sure, I do not ever want to go back to the starting point.

YMMV!

Posted May 21, 2013 link

I would relate it to food.. Its the comparison between a diner burger and McDonalds
 View Profile Link to this post
acctingguy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 3:08pm

Well, I actually LOVE the tastes of Starbucks.

I do appreciate the comments here, but I have to chuckle at the coffee snobs. You think that what YOU like is what everyone else should like and that "XX" coffee is crap, when in fact it's not to everyone.

Anyways, my question hardly got answered. All that was accomplished is that I now know NOT to post a question here anymore and look for my information elsewhere.

Although Qualin, you helped. Most everyone else was just slinging poo.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 6:18pm

I started this because I loved starbucks frappicinos and they were just to pricey.  Now they taste weak and sweet to me, they did not taste that way 1.5 years ago to me.  I don't believe the drinks changed, I believe I changed.   And I agree if you try, you can beat starbucks pretty easily.  I find their coffee is too hot now that I have gotten used to my steamed milk at 135-150.  ( I believe starbucks drinks are hot and charred and bitter )

The fact is- as you learn more, you will make better coffee and you will more than likely develop a taste for better coffee.  Over time that will make it harder to swallow the bad coffee that you thought was good before you learned more.  If you pursue espresso, I predict it will happen to you as well.

I did not see poo, I saw opinions, that you asked for.   If I asked a wine connoisseur what box of wine he suggests I buy and he said "don't buy boxed wine" I would not call that slinging poo.  I would call that his answer to my question.  

On Topic,

I had a Nepresso at Sur La Table in march.  I could not finish it.  I tried because the sales girl was watching me and she worked so very hard on it.  But as soon as she looked away I pitched it.  I thought the one I had at sur la table was worse than starbucks because it had less sweeteners and milk to cover up the taste of bad coffee.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 6:39pm

acctingguy Said:

I do appreciate the comments here, but I have to chuckle at the coffee snobs. You think that what YOU like is what everyone else should like and that "XX" coffee is crap, when in fact it's not to everyone.

Anyways, my question hardly got answered. All that was accomplished is that I now know NOT to post a question here anymore and look for my information elsewhere.

Posted May 21, 2013 link

Amateur... ;) haha

I have some friends like you. All high on *$'s until they try one of my coffees.

Ive tried the nespresso and it tastes horrible. Feel free to call me a snob and move along.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 7:50pm

brianl Said:

Amateur... ;) haha

I have some friends like you. All high on *$'s until they try one of my coffees.

Ive tried the nespresso and it tastes horrible. Feel free to call me a snob and move along.

Posted May 21, 2013 link

never even liked Charbucks even before I got into coffee like I am now. Charbucks taste like a burnt log, ever see anyone drinking it straight? Nope b/c their shots are like 10 second underextracted gross gushers, and their drip etc taste like your mouth is full of left over coals in a grill. Friends that loved it, never went back and either go to real coffee places now or bought nice setups (neighbor now has a Youbrew and orders fresh roasted coffee). Only reason Charbucks drinks are drinkable is b/c so much sugar, milk and other stuff is added in that what you end up with doesn't remotely resemble coffee.

Its like the difference between a couple day old stale (or even fresh lol) McDs burger, vs a fresh ground high quality meat thats grilled at home or restaurant. ...which would you like???

With that said I think even Nespresso and other pod type setups make better coffee then Charbucks. That chains problem is the superautos they use with beans that are low quality and roasted beyond charred lol. But thats not saying much as a friend had a Nespresso setup and it was pretty bad, he's not even into coffee and thought it was barely drinkable, I though it was blechh.

But why do that (pods etc)  when you can get a cheap Aeropress and hand grinder with fresh beans that will blow away Charbucks and their $10k machines into kingdom come for less than $100 lol.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 1:38am

One member did bring up a very good point... Try buying a nespresso, see if does what you want it to do and take it back if it doesn't.
All that you'd be burning at that point in time is your own time and gas to get to and from the store.

DanoM's post is probably one of the most informative posts I've ever seen relating to Nespresso and I am in downright awe at his response.

I agree that if your original goal of buying a nespresso is to save money over buying the drinks in-store, you won't be saving as much as you think.
His suggestion to use aftermarket pods is a very good one, but keep in mind it is always caveat emptor when it comes to buying aftermarket.
If Dano says that EMOHOME makes good stuff, I trust him.

Personally, I think that filling pods manually is a massive pain, might as well go to a portafilter when going that route, but again IMHO!

I do have to slightly object to Dan's third point. I'd only consider pre-grinding if you don't have a grinder. Keep in mind that pre-ground
coffee stales very VERY quickly and doesn't taste very good after a few days. Actually, if anything, it gets very nasty after 2 weeks or so.
Ground coffee should always be used within 15 minutes of it being ground. If you don't already have a coffee grinder, get one. Even if it is
one of those cheapie $20 knee mills. You can start out by making drip coffee with one or fill your own pods.

The key trick to any drink is making sure the ingredients are always fresh, so do take home some freshly roasted beans, preferably less than
20 days from roast date if at all possible and only grind what you need when you need it. You'll see an absolutely massive improvement in drink
quality doing that. This applies to any brewing style, doesn't matter! Moka Pot, Press Pot, Drip, etc, it makes a huge difference.

Another big thing you have to consider about capsule machines is the freshness of the coffee. Like Dano said, the machine doesn't care about the
freshness of the coffee and it will make something drinkable, it is you who should be caring about the freshness of the coffee! Capsule machines are
designed to brew with stale coffee. If you don't care, that's OK too, but I found I couldn't stand K-Cup coffee after a while for that very reason.

One thing you have to keep in mind is that any chain, regardless of who they are, always keep their beans fresh and grind as needed. This is part of
what makes their coffee better than what any pod or K-Cup machine can make. That is probably one of the biggest issues here.

On Dan's point six... 6 grams of coffee is a very small amount of coffee to work with. By deliberately limiting the amount of water you put through the
coffee, you'll change its flavour profile and make the coffee less bitter. It may have a richer, sweeter taste. (I'm afraid I can't speak for experience
here, but Dan obviously is the expert here! :-) ) Although, if you drown it in milk and chocolate, it probably is all a moot point anyway.

On point 7, I'm not sure what they do to make it thick. Do they use creamer? Do they just use lots of chocolate? Obviously, the body of the espresso
shot isn't what makes it thick. In some ways, I'm kind of tempted to try one out to see what they're like before saying anything else. Although, I'm
going to go into it with the expectation that I'm not ordering a coffee drink, I'll be ordering a liquid dessert.

You know, before we say anything else, maybe I should suggest something to the OP. Start out by going to an independently owned coffee shop,
preferably a "Mom and Pop" place which has a proper semi-auto or automatic (Not superauto) espresso machine. Ask the barista for a short Latte
and see how it tastes. Now, sit down, enjoy a paper or something and pay very close attention to the flavors. Notice how the coffee feels inside of your
mouth. Pay close attention to the flavors and taste it provides you. Breathe deeply as you take a sip and let the coffee flavours wash over you.
Look for anything which is chocolately or nutty.. If the barista did their job properly, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Now, after you've finished your latte, with the memories of the flavors still fresh in your head, go straight to a Starbucks and don't have a mocha,
ask for a latte. I think you can't order a short anymore, so a tall will have to do. Don't add sugar, don't add anything else to it. Sit down and do the
same thing. Let the flavors of the coffee wash over you again.

Let these things be the benchmark of really truly what a drink is supposed to be and suddenly you'll find out what your benchmark needs to be.

Maybe I do come across as a snob, but let your taste buds do the talking. Taste is such a subjective thing, but you need to start down the right path.
IMO, I'd consider just letting the coffee do all the speaking by taking out all of the Chocolate and sugar. Listening to it carefully will allow it to sing songs
to you. Adding anything to coffee just drowns that out.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 4:08am

acctingguy Said:

Posted May 21, 2013 link

Or, as a counter point, (using your own words) you think that what YOU like is what everyone else should like (end quote)

Remember, when you point your finger at others, you are pointing three back at yourself.

We all start someplace and for many of us, the journey began at Starbucks. I know mine did. However, to simply point out truth after learning more about your subject of interest, is not "flinging poo"

Enjoy Starbucks while you can, they are on every corner and they are happy to take your money. If you continue to grow in this hobby, chances are excellent that you will also grow out of them. If not, more power to you but as members here grow with experience in what great coffee is, most move beyond their starting point.

Interestingly a lot of people come here to spend less on their daily coffee fix than buying at Starbucks, then as they progress, comes the spreadsheets then they spend more money on gear then they learn more about coffee then they can't go back to the starting point for lack of quality reasons. I guess quality creates snobs LOL.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 5:15am

Just curious, but what happened with the vario, manual frother and moka pot combo you bought? Seems toseems to me it would make better coffee than the nespresso, how it compares to Starbucks I have no idea about...
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 6:25am

Bruce . . . a few observations, if you will, from an all but ex-Coffee Geek.

You have come onto a site where people are passionate about their coffee, and are then upset that people are passionate in their opinions.

In general, most people who are relatively new to coffee generally and/or new to this website, "actually LOVE the taste(s) of Starbucks."  Yours is a typical opinion.  In contrast, most of the people who are regulars here -- who are "into" coffee enough to forego super-automatics, let alone pods, Nespresso capsules, and other devices built more for ease-of-use rather than quality* -- actually HATE the taste(s) of *$.  Note, please, that each of those sentences is not an absolute; they are qualified by the use of the word "most" in both cases.  Nothing is 100 percent black or white -- not in the real world.  Some experienced coffee people, I'm sure, enjoy the taste of Starbucks, while I'm sure there are newbies that don't.  But having been around this and other coffee-related sites from 7+ years, I can assure you that the above statements are absolutely true for the majority of coffee drinkers.

Specifically, most people here do not own Nespresso machines (nor super automatics), but there are a relative handful that do.  My opinion changed re: Nespresso when I gained hands-on experience.  Permit me to briefly explain:  all of my experience with Nespresso was at a store like Sur La Table (SLT) or Williams-Sonoma (WS), where someone else made the drinks, or in hotel rooms, where I did.  Honestly, I was not impressed.  Then, I stayed with a friend for several days who only had a Nespresso machine, BUT he also had probably every type of Nespresso capsule made on Earth (and maybe some that weren't!).  I found that, by tinkering with the machine a little -- heck, you can only tinker a little! -- and by picking selected types, the coffee I got from his Nespresso machine was pretty good.  

Don't misunderstand:  it was nothing like the espresso I make at home, or in my office, but it was a damned sight better than anything I'd ever had at SLT or WS, or in a hotel!  And it was even better than a lot of restaurant espresso shots!  (A huge pet peeve of mine is the poor quality of the espresso in 95%+ of all restaurants.)

Will it be like a Starbucks Mocha?  Absolutely not!  Since I am one of those people who doesn't like *$, I'd say it's significantly better; since you are one of those people who likes Starbucks, I'd guess you might say it's significantly worse.

Part of the "mission" here at CG is to provide people with information.  But a part of it is also "evangelism," if you will.  And that entails at the very least an attempt to "turn people on" to the joys of freshly roasted beans, freshly ground, and the alchemy of turning that into a glorious beverage -- whether it's an espresso-based drink, or some other method of coffee preparation.

Now, if you don't want to post a question here anymore, that's fine.  But if you do, and want to actually listen (which, for better or worse, means sometimes having to comb through the passion for the facts behind the emotion), that's fine, too.

Either way, we'll be here . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
jd66

Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 7:52am

I had a Nespresso Citiz and milk machine for awhile when living abroad. it wont make a drink like starbucks mocha, but it will make a mocha that you will like, if you like starbucks mocha, if you know what i mean. It will grow on you and you will enjoy it! the coffee from a nespresso system is close in quality to starbucks so its likeable if thats the standard your used too.  
nespresso is good for convenience but not much else so if you dont mind fiddling around a bit its better to get a real espresso maker.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nespresso  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.419955968857)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+