Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help! (Buying advice, please!)
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 6:24pm
Subject: Re: Need help! (Buying advice, please!)

Hi Stephany,
  I was thinking that being new you may not have a good understanding of the differences in the types of machines. I remembered a post not too long ago by JasonBrandtLewis giving a good basic description of the machines so I went and found it for you, since I think he explained it probably better than I could. Hope Jason doesn't mind my quote-

"Single Boiler/Dual Use:  SBDU machines are the most common consumer model machines.  Basically, it utilizes one boiler with two settings -- one for brewing espresso; the other, higher setting for steaming milk.  In other to make a latte, for example, you have to wait for the machine to cycle from one setting to the other.  (Think of it as a room heater with two settings, Hi and Lo, and you don't want it to be in the middle, so you have to wait for it to warm up to Hi from the lower setting/wait for it to cool down to Lo from the higher setting.)

Heat Exchanger:  An HX machine utilizes one boiler as well, but this is always set to the higher, steam temperature.  Cool water is drawn in, either from a reservoir (if it's a self-contained pourover model) or from a water line (if it's designed to be plumbed directly into the water supply), and that water is then flash heated to brewing temperature as it passes through the hot water.  These machines are, and have been, the dominant machine worldwide in cafés and in "prosumer" models for years.  These models not only permit the brewing of espresso and the steaming of milk at the same time (think busy café), but will -- generally speaking -- produce drinks of a higher quality than an SBDU machine.

Double Boiler:  DB machines have two boilers, as the name obviously suggests.  One is set to brewing temperature; the other set to steaming temperature.  There is no difference in terms of the quality of the coffee one gets from a DB versus an HX; each class has its own advantages and disadvantages, and it's more -- I think -- a matter of personal preference and pride-of-ownership than anything else.  One thing is for certain:  DB's cost more $$$$."

The thermoblock machines are a relatively new kind of SBDU that uses a separate heating block for steam making the transition between pulling a shot and steaming quicker than a standard SBDU.

If you've been studying a lot you may have already known all this, if not I hope it helps a bit.

Ron
 View Profile Link to this post
strawberrykoi
strawberrykoi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3,...
Grinder: baratza vario, Hario...
Drip: chemex
Roaster: whirly pop
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 7:00pm

Stephany Said:

@fredk
    Thanks for the rec
@strawberrykoi
    I'm definitely not geeky Enough for a machine that costs more than a small, used car. I have kids to put through college. ; )      

Posted May 16, 2013 link

Haha! I have two kids myself. But I don't shop a lot or buy cosmetics or typical frivolous things... I saved my money by selling vintage dresses online and taking commission web designs. It didnt take long for me to get my Duetto, and I'm happy I made the leap... I've saved myself money by skipping the upgrade process, plus I never go to starbucks anymore ;)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Stephany

Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 7:03pm

I've been getting more familiar with those terms. The only one I wasn't sure of was the thermoblock, but I've been looking that up today, too. If I'm right, it's kind of like the "new"on-demand hot water heaters that heat water as you use them. (Can't for the life of me remember what they're called, tho).
    Anyway, I have seen many ravers for the cc1 machine in this (and other) threads. Can anyone speak to the following: my research says it's 15inches wide...seems kind of large. He well does its temp control work? Why do you all like it so much? And I'll be honest, the aesthete in me is not charged up for its Mr. Coffee presence. I ask these questions because I am seriously considering it at this point.

Or maybe I should just go the gaggia route... Sigh why is it so hard????? The last time I bought a machine there was one option, and I was happy, damn it!!!!  (Can I say damn it on here? Sorry if I can't.)

Xoxo and thanks for all the hand holding,
Stephany
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 8:44pm

Here is a very good blog post on the CC1s temperature stability.  It is good.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 16, 2013, 10:11pm

fredk01 Said:

Here is a very good blog post on the CC1s temperature stability.  It is good.

Posted May 16, 2013 link

temp stability is actually really good, the group piece was changed to a dense plastic vs the brass piece before that would zap heat, new one lets the water through with very little thermal loss.
Stephany

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 3:30pm

Thanks for the cc1 specs.
    Okay, I feel I am getting much closer!
    I really like the functionality of the cc1, but I'm hung up on . . . Oh, I'll just say it ...looks. How shallow! I feel like the CEO of Abercrombie right now. I've been looking at other machines I've seen the cc1 compared to...the pasquini livietta, the quick mill silvano...all are a few hundred more than the cc1. Ack! But they're pretty. Am I missing any other cc1 comparisons that are pretty but more in the cc1 price range? Or am i going to have to make a decision about how much I think looks are worth? Can you make me feel better by saying those other machines have something worth that extra money? (Or am I missing something entirely?)

Shallowly yours,
Stephany
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 4:36pm

Stephany Said:

Thanks for the cc1 specs.
    Okay, I feel I am getting much closer!
    I really like the functionality of the cc1, but I'm hung up on . . . Oh, I'll just say it ...looks. How shallow! I feel like the CEO of Abercrombie right now. I've been looking at other machines I've seen the cc1 compared to...the pasquini livietta, the quick mill silvano...all are a few hundred more than the cc1. Ack! But they're pretty. Am I missing any other cc1 comparisons that are pretty but more in the cc1 price range? Or am i going to have to make a decision about how much I think looks are worth? Can you make me feel better by saying those other machines have something worth that extra money? (Or am I missing something entirely?)

Shallowly yours,
Stephany

Posted May 17, 2013 link

Lol!

The  Silvano is built by a company that has a long standing quality reputation, It will steam and pull shots at the same time while the CC1 can only do one or the other. The Pasuini ( if I looked up the correct machine) has two thermo blocks and can steam and brew at the same time. A NS Oscar HX machine as well as the La Cudra are also in the same price range, less bells and whistles but can handle multiple drinks in a row with out missing a beat.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 8:50pm

Stephany Said:

. . . Oh, I'll just say it ...looks. How shallow! I feel like the CEO of Abercrombie right now. I've been looking at other machines I've seen the cc1 compared to...the pasquini livietta, the quick mill silvano...all are a few hundred more than the cc1. Ack! But they're pretty. ..

Posted May 17, 2013 link

Momma always told me, don't get suckered by them pretty eyes... :-)

Only you can decide what looks are worth.  The CC1 is in a class of its own.  It offers a lot of value for its price.  I don't happen to mind the look of the CC1, but then, my place is not going to win any interior decorating awards either.
Stephany

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 5:43am

When did buying an espresso machine become so philosophical?
    Does anyone else want to weigh in before I pull the trigger on this?
    I forgot to mention in my last post a concern about the cc1, so I'll put it here to add to the discussion: the reservoir seems inconveniently placed...in the video demo I watched it took some gymnastics to get it out, fill it, and replace it. While it being in front makes it easy to see the water level, I could imagine myself, in a caffeine-deprived frenzy, breaking something. Te Silvano's is right on the side, looks pretty simple. Te livietta's I'm not quite sure.

Okay, last call for advice, opinions, helpful links, Etc. then you're all coming over for coffee once I get the machine.
Buckley

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 7:24am

Perhaps you should consider the used Salvatore that is for sale in the 'Members' "Buy & Sell' area of this forum.

B
showing page 4 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.433058023453)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+