Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 216 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JMFishtown
JMFishtown
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 10:41am
Subject: Re: Breville Dual Boiler BES900XL Owners Thread

donner Said:

I have a Reg Barber 58 mm tamper.  It fits and works well with the Breville baskets - probably works better than the Breville tamper.  The longer wooden handle on the Reg Barber tamper gives a better grip and more control for tamping.  And coffee sticks a lot less to the Reg Barber stainless steel base than to the Breville tamper base.

Posted May 17, 2013 link

Thanks a lot donner, that's exactly why I want it. With the Breville tamper I get tons of grounds stuck to the edges of it.
 View Profile Link to this post
dagoat

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola, BDB...
Grinder: baratza vario
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: manual
Roaster: cafe rosto
Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 2:57pm

epengr Said:

Really?  There's no BDB specific, useful information?

Posted May 17, 2013 link

maybe some.  but by and large, it's an espresso machine.  the skills required to make espresso with it are the identical skills required to make espresso with any other serious espresso machine.

epengr Said:

"if you still have an A model pull out the black plastic in the bottom of your portafilter"

Posted May 17, 2013 link

do you need bdb-specific information to remove that?  the bdb also comes with double-wall portafilter baskets.  did you need bdb specific information to know not to use those?  some VERY high end espresso machines com with cheap plastic tampers.  would you use those without having to told not to??

epengr Said:

"do a chemical back flush only when the machine’s “clean me” cycle comes up

Posted May 17, 2013 link

not bdb-specific.  just speculative conjecture.  how often do you change the oil on your car?  do you go _exactly_ by the manual or do you toss in a little intuition and advice from others?

epengr Said:

"Don’t use the volumetric buttons; they’re finicky and really don’t add much convenience."

Posted May 17, 2013 link

not bdb-specifc.  they all require frequent attention and adjustment.  on all machines.

epengr Said:

VST Baskets do fit in the stock portafilter all the way up to the 21g"

Posted May 17, 2013 link

no surprise.  the bdb portafilter is 58mm.  58mm is one of the standard sizes for commercial portafilters.  other 58mm baskets will fit too, but the breville's are the best on the market, so there's not much point in downgrading to another brand.  

epengr Said:

"No the lugs on the PF / Group Head do not match any other machines"

Posted May 17, 2013 link

that fact is bdb-specific.  but it's a difference without a distinction.  it doesn't change one iota how you use the bdb.  you use it like you would any serious espresso machine.  exactly the same.

epengr Said:

"Hot water comes from the BREW BOILER not the steam boiler, so if you open the hot water valve a tiny bit (i mean a tiny bit) you can do some pressure profiling on the shot"

Posted May 17, 2013 link

not bdb-specific.  most machines do this too.  my old saeco sbdu's do it.  and i still use them... and that technique.

wanna know a tip that IS BDB-specific?  the bdb seems more prone than some other serious espresso machines to spin the portafilter out of it's lugs if the gasket and the rim of the basket are not bone-dry before you lock in.  that and don't waste your money on vst baskets with the fantasy that they are better than the BDB baskets.  buy a vst basket if you FULLY understand what it offers (large hole-area-to-structure ratio), and it's effect on extraction, and have the knowledge and grinder to properly exploit it.  most BDB buyers do not, based on the remedial subject matter in this thread. a VST basket should NOT be the go-to, default basket for the newbie who is all excited about good gear, with an itchy finger on the cash-incinerator button.  as for technical quality, the stock BDB baskets are every bit as good if not better than the VST baskets from a technical perspective, (evenly sized and spaced holes with perfect roundness).  Phil has posted magnified pictures of the holes in VST and Breville baskets in one of the threads.  It will open your eyes if you think trading the Breville baskets for VST's is a trade up.

-peter
SupraTT

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 4:45pm

So today my Breville Dual Boiler stopped working - no water is coming out of the group head. Hot water dispenser and steam wand still work fine. Called Breville USA and they told me to ship the unit back to them and they will send me a working one.

Anyone send back a machine to Breville USA? How long does it take to get a replacement? Also, I guess I need to buy a big box to fit the machine in for shipping....

I am actually located in Los Angeles, but know if I can just return it to the headquarters here?

Lasted about 1 year - did about 5 shots a week so about 250 operations before the machine stopped working. I kept the machine cleaned - cleaned it when it flashed "clean me", changed the water filter every 2 months and even did the cleaning procedure shown on Youtube by Phil.

The serial number started with 1149
SupraTT

Posted Fri May 17, 2013, 6:36pm

selzoc Said:

I've had my BDB since 12/10/11, bought during the super 30% sale at Williams-Sonoma.  It has served me faithfully ever since - until yesterday :(.  No pressure, hardly any water coming out (75 seconds for 60ml without a portafilter).

One quick call to Breville, and I've got a new replacement machine on the way!  Kudos to them for awesome service.  It wasn't a dude reading off a script, he was actually in front of a machine telling me which buttons to press.

Great customer experience!  Sad to see my old machine go, but look at it this way - won't have to worry about descaling for another few years ;).

Posted April 29, 2013 link

Did you have to send the old machine back first?
Mysonssecondwordwascoffee

Espresso: Breville DB BES900XL
Grinder: Barratza Vario-W
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 10:24am

Sorry to hear.
Similar thing happened to me.
Left a message through the Breville Website and got a reply the next business day and an exchange was suggested.
If you allow a 400$ hold on your credit card they will actually send you a new machine before you send in your old one. Good thing for me, since I had already discarded the old box. They also provide a return label free of charge.
That was the good news ... However it took over 2 weeks and several calls to get a replacement. They told me they were out of new machines... Not sure what that was all about. In the end they sent one 2nd day delivery.

Unfortunately that is not the end of the story:
The replacement machine had some fogging on the pressure gauge, which turned into a frank fluid level. This time they were very prompt in turning around the replacement, and 2nd day delivery was offered right away.
My new machine (which I have had now for a week) also has some fogging, but I was reassured that this may occurr and is generally harmless - the first one never had this problem, however. Will see how it goes.

I am pleased and surprised how readily they ship a replacement...
I guess they have to, given the quality of these machines - there seem to be quite a few lemons out there (including on this thread). Still growing pains?
When they work, they are awesome. And as long as they send me a replacement, I will continue pulling my shots off the BDB.
Good luck!
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 6:23am

SupraTT Said:

Did you have to send the old machine back first?

Posted May 17, 2013 link

I chose to have them put a hold on my CC and send me the replacement first.  Then I sent back my original machine in the package the replacement came in.  I am in NC and the machine came from NY, so it took about 2-3 days to get here.
JMFishtown
JMFishtown

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Drip: Aeropress, Espro Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 9:08am

I was wondering if some owners were willing to give a little update on their machines; along the lines of shots pulled, months owned, issues, comments.

FYI to check the shots pulled turn the machine off, press all 4 little (menu) buttons then hit the power button, it should display a number, multiply that by 10 and you have your shot count.

I'll start off:

Shots Pulled: 650
Months Owned: 5.5
Issues: Nada
Comments: I have been more impressed with this thing than I thought possible; I visited blue bottle in San Fran and got a shot from their Lever Mistral and I would objectively say that what I'm brewing is on par.
MerleApAmber

Espresso: Breville BES900
Grinder: Baratza Preciso + Esatto
Vac Pot: Yuma
Drip: bah-humbug
Roaster: Hot Top 2K P
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 9:40am

JMFishtown Said:

I was wondering if some owners were willing to give a little update on their machines; along the lines of shots pulled, months owned, issues, comments.

Posted May 21, 2013 link

Shots Pulled: 2130 > 6 second cycles (maybe half of that full double draws to make coffee.)
Months Owned: 6.5
Issues: My unit has developed the dribble of water out the heated water valve / nozzle. Smallish volume, not more than an ounce over multiple uses during the day. Nothing upsetting, just an awareness there is a needle valve which doesn't seat as well as it might with thermal transients.
Comments: A brilliant demonstration of manufacturing to goals and objectives at a price point which makes it possibly a market influence. Only reservations is how Breville totes up their costs/advantages balance sheet going forward. That will only be what it will be in time.
michaelgo

Espresso: Breville 900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 4:17pm

MerleApAmber Said:

Shots Pulled: 2130 > 6 second cycles (maybe half of that full double draws to make coffee.).

Posted May 21, 2013 link

How are you getting this data?  I'm sure I've seen the button push combo but would appreciate it one more time.

Also, saw this on the news, couldn't resist posting the link. 3D Latte Art
arc0300

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 6:34pm
Subject: Re: Latte Art

epengr Said:

Coming down to the BDB from an NS Oscar, I"ve been able to get excellent microfoam and decent art right away.   I find the BDB WAY easier to steam with.  The Oscar's a brutal, unforgiving dragon, the DBD is nearly magical to me.

From what you describe, I'd suggest waiting 5-10s (15s?) before pouring, swirling very gently, if at all.  I find this gives the foam time to "set".  I think what's happening in the foam is slowly coming to the surface allowing you to pour the milk out form under it and have the foam come out last to draw with.  If you wait too long, you'll get a think "cappuccino"  cap in you pitcher that'll come out as a lump.  It's all in the timing.

I'm no expert, that's just what works for me.

Posted May 17, 2013 link

thanks for the tip. what you described is exactly what is happening. i get at the very end a thick amount of foam at the end of the pour. any suggestions on how to avoid that? i've tried swirling it gently..and violently and waited for it to set too.
showing page 216 of 256 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Dual...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.634911060333)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+