Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Is 4.75 to 5.25 bars enough brew pressure on a CC1?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is 4.75 to 5.25...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:55am
Subject: Re: Is 4.75 to 5.25 bars enough brew pressure on a CC1?

Just to follow up on what I started... I managed to get to the store to buy the fittings I needed to check the gauge I was able to connect to the portafilter. I checked the gauge that I was using against three other gauges I had. Non of them are lab quality but all of them were within 9 lbs at about 125 lbs. So.... my CC1 is definitely providing low pressure to the portafilter. At this point, looking at the piping diagram, looks like there is two components that could cause this issue when you combine all of the symptoms. Since it is still under warranty, I wont bother to go any further.
 View Profile Link to this post
billc

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: CC1 - GS - GS3 - GB5
Grinder: Baratza - Mazzer-Marzocco
Drip: My own Creation
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 8:57am

my email remains the same bill at crosslandcoffee dot com.

BillC
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 9:16am

I sent you an email.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 2:10pm

I was fixing to box the machine up and get it ready to send back for service and I decided to descale it even though I haven't ran 30 cups through it since the last time I descaled. I mixed up 64 oz of descaler and checked the pressure every few minutes. The pressure was slowly rising. After it was all said and done I ended up at about 7.75 to 8 bars.

Now I don't know weather to send it back or not. I guess technically it is lower than optimum but not sure this machine is capable of optimum pressures.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 3:03pm

I would email BillC about it. May be something as simple as adjusting the OPV- maybe the scale/descale affected the setting, or maybe a bit more descaling. I will be curious to know how it turns out for you, I've been interested in how the CC1s stand up- they are new and sometimes bugs need to be worked out that only come out with use in the real world. Sounds like Bill is more than willing to stand behind his machines. Keep us posted.
fredk01

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 3:56pm

Bill wants it back. Send it back. If you don't every time something seems off, you will start second guessing yourself and the machine.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 5:07pm

Bill told me I would have to deal with the company I bought it from... and they were not too eager to help me the first time I had issues with it. I am not sure how I will proceed. If they are not eager to help, I probably will just junk it and move on.  I am going to give it a try tonight and see if I can see an improvement in the espresso. At least I know the pressure is higher than it was recently.... but I am sure I will have to go finer with my grind as the pressure is now quite a bit higher.

I spent some time, early one morning last week, at a coffee shop with a Batista that at least has the reputation of making a living with his skills. I talked to him a while and watched him and he was nice enough to explain everything he was doing. He made me a mocha and while the sweetness was not just right for me, I definitely recognized the aftertaste that I got me started with espresso in the first place back in the 90s. This is a taste I have not been able to achieve at home.

Since the CC1 does not have a pressure gauge, I don't know how long the pressure has been that low. I didn't think a pressure gauge was necessary when I bought the CC1, but now that I have had this experience, I will not buy another machine that does not have a pressure gauge on it. My reasoning for not thinking I needed a pressure gauge was that it seems everyone sets the pressure and leaves it alone... but I didn't think about that pressure not always staying the way it was set.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat May 11, 2013, 9:01pm

Sorry to hear about your experience with Bill and the vendor. Maybe I got the wrong impression of him from some of the posts on here, or maybe he expects more from the venders than they are providing. Either way I wouldn't give up on the machine just yet, you do have some time and money tied up in it.
 Many machines come without a brew pressure gauge, and many of us use a portafilter gauge to occasionally check our brew pressure. If you have an adjustable opv you should be able to dial in the pressure without too much fuss. If not- well there are many threads about people with Gaggias switching out non adjustable opvs with adjustable ones, so that's something you could look into. From what I have heard though the non adjustable ones are typically set higher than what you would want so I'm guessing that yours is likely adjustable. Like I said I'm just guessing but I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.    Ron
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sun May 12, 2013, 1:34am

CoffeeRon Said:

Sorry to hear about your experience ....  Ron

Posted May 11, 2013 link

I am not ready to throw anyone under the bus. The company that I purchased from is well known and most people think a lot of them. I had a bad experience with them before I even purchased (documented here in the forum many months ago). and again when I called them with issues. Obviously I purchased from them anyway even though my pre-purchase experience wasn't great. I purchased anyway because of the great reviews I saw here in the forum.  Like any company, sometimes the bad experience is with an individual and not the company's policies. I will call them again and see how it goes.... but they are starting with two strikes as far as I am concerned.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Is 4.75 to 5.25...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.393372058868)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+